Breakdown of DCI/DCP  

332 members have voted

1. 1. Music Major Influence in DCI

• I marched DCI and am/was a music major
    • I marched DCI and am/was NOT a music major
    • I never marched and am/was a music major
    • I never marched and am/was NOT a music major

4 years marched in high school.

Plan to be a music education major. Euphonium principal.

Plan to march DCI for 4 years on euphonium.(2011-2014).

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your poll while perhaps being reflective of the times, disenfranchises many of those on DCP who love drum corps and follow DCI closely... for instance - ME!

I was well over aged when DCI was founded and had already performed for many years and had been a corps director/co-founder of a competitive junior corps. I did perform myself in senior corps for MANY years and have been involved in Jr/Sr adjudication and corps and circuit management ever since... I was a major leader (CFO) of a DCI corps for 20+ years and won a Division II championship.

I was not a music major in college but did take music as a minor, but of course, all this was in the 60's. I played brass and while my love is middle voice and was one of the first French Horns to convert to Mellophone shortly after the instrument was invented by my dear friend Dominic Del Ra, on occasion played lead sop (trumpet to you kids).

You can read my credentials below... In addition to those credentials, I had my own drum corps radio show throughout the 60's and into the 70's and was the first color commentator for the first ever broadcast of a DCI world championship - 1974 Ithaca, NY Cornell University. I was a writer for Drum Corps News and still contribute to Drum Corps World.

now which box do I check?

I would be interested in seeing a further breakdown in the poll that shows liberal arts vs professional degrees in those that did not major in music. Or bachelor of Arts vs bacherlor of Science. I was an engineering major and I give a ton of credit to my drum corps experience in making me a more well rounded student as I went through college. Part of me worries that some will shy away from the current drum corps experience because they might feel that it is too much geared towards music majors. If anything, I think its even more of a reason to be a part of it. Excellence begets excellence.

I have marched 4 years high school, and plan on marching this summer with the Boston Crusaders (in the hornline). Interestingly enough, I also plan on being a history major (next year is my freshman year of college).

Edited by mastermuel

I marched one year after my freshman year in high school. More to come until I get to college but I'm probably gonna take criminal investigation or something like that when I get to it.

As for me, it wasn't that I was good enough, but I had the passion to get into the corps and take up my second instrument (trombone/baritone) which I wasn't that strong in and showed I wanted to be there and I had it in me to march and learn the instrument and contribute.

For those who marched pre-DCI I would probably just clicked the "marched DCI" selections because even though you may not have marched in DCI those units would help to shape DCI. Plus...I don't know how to add that as an option...sorry!

Edited by myopinion

your poll while perhaps being reflective of the times, disenfranchises many of those on DCP who love drum corps and follow DCI closely... for instance - ME!

I was well over aged when DCI was founded and had already performed for many years and had been a corps director/co-founder of a competitive junior corps. I did perform myself in senior corps for MANY years and have been involved in Jr/Sr adjudication and corps and circuit management ever since... I was a major leader (CFO) of a DCI corps for 20+ years and won a Division II championship.

I was not a music major in college but did take music as a minor, but of course, all this was in the 60's. I played brass and while my love is middle voice and was one of the first French Horns to convert to Mellophone shortly after the instrument was invented by my dear friend Dominic Del Ra, on occasion played lead sop (trumpet to you kids).

You can read my credentials below... In addition to those credentials, I had my own drum corps radio show throughout the 60's and into the 70's and was the first color commentator for the first ever broadcast of a DCI world championship - 1974 Ithaca, NY Cornell University. I was a writer for Drum Corps News and still contribute to Drum Corps World.

now which box do I check?

Amen Tommy! There is a large audience of us....Do we kick out Markovich, Boo, and Greg Pacer. There is another "world" out there before 1972.

-Bill