Dan Acheson should be fired

How in the World is DCI responsible for the number of corps shrinking? DCI is a promoter, not the keeper of the corps.

If they are responsible for the promotion of drum corps, then they are doing a terrible job.

I couldn't believe what I saw, when I turned on the local TV news in Indianapolis on Thursday night, in my hotel room. A local TV news outlet was doing a story on a marching band contest, at the state fair that night.

Hello! You have DCI finals taking place that weekend - in the same town! Why wasn't the news crew interviewing someone from DCI, or one of the drum corps that evening?

If the Indianapolis 500 was being held the next day, do you think that the television crew would be interviewing some midget-car driver? Or some motorcycle racer?

=========================================================================

The marketing and promotion of this activity has been positively dreadful, for as long as I can remember. If that is all that DCI is responsible for, they get a D.

But they are also responsible for rulesetting, adjudication, event staging - and a whole lot more. In those areas, I would grade them anywhere from a C to an F.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey - a question of clarification for the mods - isn't there a DCP guideline about personal attacks? Doesn't this thread violate it at some level?

If someone were to start a thread titled "Cowtown needs to be fired", wouldn't that get shut down way before it got to 160 posts?

If they are responsible for the promotion of drum corps, then they are doing a terrible job.

I couldn't believe what I saw, when I turned on the local TV news in Indianapolis on Thursday night, in my hotel room. A local TV news outlet was doing a story on a marching band contest, at the state fair that night.

Hello! You have DCI finals taking place that weekend - in the same town! Why wasn't the news crew interviewing someone from DCI, or one of the drum corps that evening?

Apparantly you missed the news stories that were done about DCI in Indy. I saw something on TV and I saw something in the newspaper.

So, because you missed it, DCI failed?

Boy, if this nonsense isn't Tipping at Windmills, I don't know what is! I agree with Michael, (and he's more tactful than I), I think some of the old farm animals around these boards need to be let out of the barn into a large pasture. This board seems to be more and more filled than usual with the disgruntled. It was a great show this year, in every way. The venue was great (although I didn't like the booing of my Blue Devils - particularly on the night of their historic accomplishment), I thought it was easy to get to and parking was reasonable and the organization was fine. Food was good and seats were better than Atlanta. If you don't like the venue or DCI try another activity, I'm sure someone will buy your seat. :shutup:

I think that the deal they got on Lucas Oil was probably way too good to pass up.

It is also probably the best located venue they could ever have. It is just too bad it is not located anywhere anyone would ever want to go.

I suspect that DCI has done more damage to itself over the course of the Acheson years by holding so many regionals in the domes. Financially, this must be a serious drain.

Ok we all know that money rules. Many corps have folded because of money miss management or loss of revenue. Washington has outlawed bingo except on reservations. So the Cascades are having a tough time. Today Cheney Washington decided to cut the band program to save money! http://www.seattlepi.com/local/6420ap_fbc_...tml?source=mypi

Canada for example. Where have all the Canadian corps gone? Again money source dried up. Did one man cause all the resulting problems we dislike about finals this year?

No.

I just hope they fix it fast! I just hope the one activity that I love above all others will never die!

Wasn't there some sort of sound test this past fall? I believe Hopkins mentioned it in his blog.

BOA ran a sound test prior to their Grand Nationals with a few area bands to experiment with the best ways to handle the sound.

To answer DCIHasBeen's question from a few posts before yours, there was an acoustical engineer on board to help make the venue sound better for pageantry. The black curtain BOA used (which wasn't as extensive as the one DCI used) was part of that, as were some other sound deadening accoutrements in the building. Prior to construction, I was told by someone involved with the city's end that there were going to be sound deadening baffles from the ceiling as well, but later the same person told me they got cut in the reaction to the price overruns.

Hey - a question of clarification for the mods - isn't there a DCP guideline about personal attacks? Doesn't this thread violate it at some level?

If someone were to start a thread titled "Cowtown needs to be fired", wouldn't that get shut down way before it got to 160 posts?

Oh Jesus, were just playing. It's called sarcasm. I didn't call him a name or threaten him My God man. ROTFLMAO

A symbolic firing? Would that be like a symbolic burning at the stake?

No. Because Mr. Acheson, while perhaps unemployed, would still be alive.

Sheesh.

Edited by tommytimp

I'd appreciate your impression of the facts which back up this statement.

Fact: Of the 15 competitors in Division III in 2007 in Pasadena, only 8 managed to show up in Indianapolis last week. The other 7 either have folded, are inactive, or could not afford the trip to Indianapolis this year.

DCI effectively let those organizations die on the vine. No financial, marketing, or promotional support was given to them. Indeed, on the DCI website, you can't even find a map of where the Division II/III/OC corps are located. It is as if DCI is pretending tha they don't exist.

Again, how does NASCAR do things? Entirely differently. They actively promote their second-tier series, the Nationwide Series. Why? It expands the fan base, and the talent base for the top tier, which is the Sprint Cup Series.

I wonder if we could somehow convince the Frances to take over DCI. :shutup:

Edited by oldschooldbc