Cadets 2000 Finals Night Performance

I thought Cavaliers and Cadets were both fantastic on finals week. I really would have had Cavaliers a little ahead of Cadets all that week. I may have had them tied on semis, but on finals night, I thought Cavaliers had the better performance. That was the year, I really felt that any of the top 4 could have won finals.

^This^

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I have heard...

They stood on the field for about 5 minutes waiting for TV timing and all of that...not to mention some less than favorable sounds coming from the high brass in the last minute or so...either way...both shows deserved the win...the only tie year that I actually agree with!

That would be brutal, in 2003 we sat on our bus for hours before we actually got to warm-up and finally perform at quarters (I hear Crown was actually stuck under the bleachers). It took so long that there was even talk of just moving all of us on to semis and retaining our placements. I can't tell you exactly why, but we simply could not lock it in after that huge delay. I'm not making excuses, but I'm saying I can understand why that would be so tough to overcome.

Really, that just makes it that much more memorable that you guys powered through that. I was lucky enough to see Cadets live in 2000, and it was simply one of the most electric things I've ever seen.

I also agree that any of the top 4 could have won that night, those shows (SCV, Devils Cadets and Cavies) are among some of my all-time favorites. I love the ending of SCV's show, I also loved the surprise ending tacked on to BD's show, and the killer marimba feature. Cavies all orginal piece (that I had to wait for the VHS tapes to come out thank to PBS for cutting off that show) and Cadets 'one-ups manship" bit.

A group of us who were teaching other corps that year were waiting off to the side where corps were starting to assemble for retreat. We were able to see and hear Cavaliers and Cadets perform, and after the last two minutes of Cadets show (where the high brass sounded worse than I had heard them since June), many of us concluded that "they left the door open." That they did, and the Cavaliers stepped right on in. Of course, they still won brass which had more than a few of us scratching our heads, but it may have had an impact in music effect and ensemble. Whatever...it was not their best run of the week. I thought their Thursday night run was one of the greatest performances I've ever seen. EVER.

Edited by rut-roh

As I remember it, the Cavaliers knocked it clean out of the park Finals night. There was only one kind of performance that even had a chance to get in front of Cadets, and it was the one they gave us. Caught 'em fair and square. Cadets show was stronger @ semis, as has been said elsewhere.

The Cadets get a lot of credit for that year, but the Cavaliers were no less impressive with their show, IMO.

As I remember it, the Cavaliers knocked it clean out of the park Finals night. There was only one kind of performance that even had a chance to get in front of Cadets, and it was the one they gave us. Caught 'em fair and square. Cadets show was stronger @ semis, as has been said elsewhere.

The Cadets get a lot of credit for that year, but the Cavaliers were no less impressive with their show, IMO.

absolutely right. cadets were not good at finals. cadets WERE good during encore. amazing what a difference an hour can make.

one thing i'd like to mention is that the 2000 cadet corps was SO mentally tough. if you look back over the scores for the year, you will see that after the 2nd show at the BOA symposium, there was literally NO serious competition until the very last show at giants stadium. NONE. vanguard was out there, but it seems like they never even got close, almost 4 points behind in san antonio.

that corps kept getting better with no constant extrinsic motivation.

absolutely right. cadets were not good at finals. cadets WERE good during encore. amazing what a difference an hour can make.

one thing i'd like to mention is that the 2000 cadet corps was SO mentally tough. if you look back over the scores for the year, you will see that after the 2nd show at the BOA symposium, there was literally NO serious competition until the very last show at giants stadium. NONE. vanguard was out there, but it seems like they never even got close, almost 4 points behind in san antonio.

that corps kept getting better with no constant extrinsic motivation.

This, this and MORE this.

Wow, I never actually knew Cadets went undefeated that season until now. That's one of those shows where it should have won (and it did), and Cavaliers had the exact same thing going on. One of my favorite years of drum corps by far!

They didn't.

http://www.dci.org/scores/?event=d56a8316-...02-48969a828098

http://www.dci.org/scores/?event=3640399b-...9b-619b4b230649

http://www.dci.org/scores/?event=d12884e8-...82-79919b02ff88