Open Class Audience Estimates?

I

See, if fans would pony up for the rental cost for Wednesday, how would DCI turn a plan like this down. But, if I had the ability to raise the kind of scratch it takes to rent LOS for a day, I'd rather give that money directly to a corps or two.

At the risk of getting myself flamed upon until I am crispy....

Perhaps the solution to the "extra day rental" would be eliminating the entire "Quarter Final" format. In reality there aren't anywhere close to enough corps to make it worth the expense to eliminate a handful on each of two consecutive days. A return to the older format of Prelims and Finals would allow for more flexibility in scheduling and a huge monetary savings.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps the solution to the "extra day rental" would be eliminating the entire "Quarter Final" format. In reality there aren't anywhere close to enough corps to make it worth the expense to eliminate a handful on each of two consecutive days. A return to the older format of Prelims and Finals would allow for more flexibility in scheduling and a huge monetary savings.

If less than 17 OC corps show up to Indianapolis next year, I will second this. Unless you are actually going to eliminate someone in the QFs, then why have QFs?

If less than 17 OC corps show up to Indianapolis next year, I will second this. Unless you are actually going to eliminate someone in the QFs, then why have QFs?

Because it's a third performance, and quarterfinals can correct abnormalities in the seeding process.

Edited by Kamarag

I know they were paying an extra day's rent...Wednesday.

They had the Monday-Tuesday offsite at an area high school.

Then Wednesday night had the II/III finals and age-out ceremony and performances by I&E champs I think. At least their awards were there. Maybe it was 1995 that featured the I&E performers between corps. I forget.

See, if fans would pony up for the rental cost for Wednesday, how would DCI turn a plan like this down. But, if I had the ability to raise the kind of scratch it takes to rent LOS for a day, I'd rather give that money directly to a corps or two.

2002 had I&E winners between corps. I'm sure Camp Randall aint cheap. it's all in the marketing...and in 2002, i think honestly the local commitee marketed it extremely well. 10k to D2/3 finals? I've been to several D2/3 finals shows, and thats hands down the biggest crowd I have ever seen.

so they did something right

DCI has other events scheduled that conflict with the OC finals? That doesn't sound to me like DCI is "doing all they can" to promote or support the OC like this.

well when you try to cram too much #### in one day, you're bound to have conflicts

I highly doubt many of the Friends bother going to any OC shows

Because it's a third performance, and quarterfinals can correct abnormalities in the seeding process.

This should only be an issue if the apperance order is indeed "slotting". If it is necessary to assure that corps go on in reverse order of finish, then the entire process is a crock. I am not willing to accept the theory that the judges cannot correctly adjudicate corps regardless of the order, as I don't see any evidence of systemic incompetence.

Still, millions of dollars to eliminate 5 corps at a time? Why is 17 the magic number for "Semi's"? If the number of corps were to grow, would we require an "eighth finals" to cut it down to 22 so could could continue the process?

This should only be an issue if the apperance order is indeed "slotting". If it is necessary to assure that corps go on in reverse order of finish, then the entire process is a crock. I am not willing to accept the theory that the judges cannot correctly adjudicate corps regardless of the order, as I don't see any evidence of systemic incompetence.

Still, millions of dollars to eliminate 5 corps at a time? Why is 17 the magic number for "Semi's"? If the number of corps were to grow, would we require an "eighth finals" to cut it down to 22 so could could continue the process?

Lets not forget that this is a performance based activity. More performances is a good thing, especially since there are less opportunities for OC corps in DCI then for WC corps. The middle of the summer is rather thin right now for the OC. The format for finals week is fine. Getting more people in the stands without eliminating performances should be the focus.

No - that does not make financial sense. While you would lose the extra days rental costs, you would also lose the WC Quarterfinals ticket revenue. I am sure that DCI makes money on Thursday.

The issue is that the Open Class does not sell enough tickets on their own to any of their events to cover the rent on their own. Thus, you can not have a stand alone Wednesday event in the big stadium, for example.

Getting these 25K to show up for OC has alaws been the challenge....sounds like no attendance jump compared to the past few years...between 5K - 6K total. When you look at the number of repeat attenders we are talking about a modest audience size of 3K max.

Now, if real drum corps fans in Indy won't go to see them, what makes you think Indiana band kids will go see them?

I think people have a false idea if you think too many people more than mom and dad even care if your name is NOT BD, Cavies, PR, etc. That's who people want to see.

I will wager DCI can't give away tickets to boost crowd numbers. And the addage always has been, if you can't give it away, you can't sell it either.

DCI doesn't have to give away tickets to boost attendance. There are already thousands of tickets out there that people bought (as part of the Fan 5 packages). Those people have already paid for those tickets and they still don't show up!

DCI doesn't have to give away tickets to boost attendance. There are already thousands of tickets out there that people bought (as part of the Fan 5 packages). Those people have already paid for those tickets and they still don't show up!

Just a thought, I really believe it is more about schedule. If I am partying it up in Indy that week, I would have a hard time getting up early to watch the OC events and that is with a kid marching (so I would be there). If I am just a fan with no ties to OC I would be hard pressed to force myself out of bed before 10 a.m. eben with the free tickets...