Madison Scouts 2010

As to your first paragraph, it has been corrected.

As to your second paragraph, thank you for the constructive criticism.

Thank YOU. I was expecting to get flamed, and probably still will, for my post. But it's from the heart, and a geniune suggestion. I love the Scouts. When it comes to fundraising or getting someone to volunteer, for whatever organization (church, school, drum corps), much of the time all you need to do is ask......

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always try to catch corps rehearsing during the finals week. Madison is one of the corps that I always check out. This year my first exposure to the Scouts was watching the corps rehearse. I watched them for a couple of hours and got to see them go through a complete run through. The biggest problem I had with the corps was the show. I usually leave the rehearsals humming the tunes, but this year’s show was very unmemorable. The show design is where they are lacking. In the past, there has always been a part of the show that I anticipated, but not this year. I think they need to put their attention to the show design. They are a good organization and they have the talent. I’m also acquainted with a couple of the members who enjoyed there year and plan on coming back next year, so they must be doing a few thing right.

God bless you alumni. I really mean it. You are the legacy to your organization. I could tell while sitting at Stadium Bar in 2006 just how disgruntled many of you were. I knew change was imminent. I do not know or are privy to any information in regards to latest occurences within the Madison Scout Organization. All I know is I am huge fan and it came down to Madison and a couple of other corps when deciding where I wanted to march. Alas I chose a corps closer to home. It was great competing against and meeting members of your fine organization during the years I marched DCI.

Sometimes though I can't help but feel we alumni tend to get too involved with the administration side of things. Sure there are times to be concerned especially when it comes to financials and competitive placement which in turn will hurt recruiting efforts. Airing the dirty laudry out in a public forum is never good. So what if people don't know the facts? What matters is that you do and trust that the current administration in place will do the job. I love my corps and most of my fellow members fully trust what our administration does to make it successful, which thankfully it is. We in turn support by our donations and cheering from the stands. Did we hit a bumpy road at one time? Definitely, but in the end it worked out. As it will for the Madison Scouts. It's something that almost happened to SCV, but with their recent restructuring they are now looking good for a come back. Have faith that it will happen. To many people wanting to stir the pot and throw in their own thoughts and ideas just leads to more chaos. Don't worry about having to defend compeitive placement or past resignations.

Myself I have all the faith in the Madison Scouts. They are still one of the 'Elite' corps to me and always will be no matter what anyone says.

Thank YOU. I was expecting to get flamed, and probably still will, for my post. But it's from the heart, and a geniune suggestion. I love the Scouts. When it comes to fundraising or getting someone to volunteer, for whatever organization (church, school, drum corps), much of the time all you need to do is ask......

This raises a valid point...

The Scouts use CorpsData for the majority of their database functions, so it would make sense to enter data received through their online store into that database as well. Those who are in the CorpsData system do receive updates via email, including reminders to donate, and many are also contacted via phone as well.

If you are in the CorpsData system and don't have complete (and updated) info there, including snail-mail, phone and email, please update your info. If you are not in the CorpsData system, please add yourself so you can receive all updates. Please PM me if you have any questions on this.

Thank you!

Linda

This raises a valid point...

The Scouts use CorpsData for the majority of their database functions, so it would make sense to enter data received through their online store into that database as well. Those who are in the CorpsData system do receive updates via email, including reminders to donate, and many are also contacted via phone as well.

If you are in the CorpsData system and don't have complete (and updated) info there, including snail-mail, phone and email, please update your info. If you are not in the CorpsData system, please add yourself so you can receive all updates. Please PM me if you have any questions on this.

Thank you!

Linda

Thanks. I'll be expecting the shakedown soon err..... I mean the fundraising request.

Thanks. I'll be expecting the shakedown soon err..... I mean the fundraising request.

Why wait for the request? You can either contribute online at MadisonGear (select your contribution level in the drop-down menu) or send a check to:

Madison Scouts

2935 S Fish Hatchery Rd #401

Madison, WI 53711

Be sure to include all of your contact info if you mail in a check, so you can receive proper recognition for your contribution.

Thank you!

Linda

This thread has taken a very positive direction! :tongue:

I just hope that the lesson was learned from the financial irresponsibilities of a few years ago. If they weren't, and if the proper checks and balances were not put in place, then you get what you deserve.

The financial irresponsibility of this organization goes back more than just a few years. And BTW, your comment about getting what you deserve is spot on.

The financial irresponsibility of this organization goes back more than just a few years. And BTW, your comment about getting what you deserve is spot on.

Seems to me that the organization made a mistake in decentralizing control over certain of its financial functions, learned from its mistakes, and has been working dilligently to correct this.

We see much bigger mistakes is large corporations with highly-paid CEO's and overstaffed finance departments, so let's give these nonprofits some slack here. Mistakes were made, and they were corrected. No corps (or corporation, for that matter) is perfect. I've seen much worse in the corporate world, and so have you if you pay attention to the financial news once in a while.

It's time to put this whole prior year "financial irresponsibility" issue to rest, and focus on the future instead.

You can make your contributions towards the future of the Scouts here: MadisonGear