Madison Scouts 2010

It's basically perfect. Except there is a monstrous hill that the pit has to go up/down every day to get to ensemble... but that's forgivable. :laughing:

I know exactly which hill you mean from being at numerous rehearsals the last two years. That has get old real quick - lugging all that stuff to each ensemble

Edited by acn

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is, if I were passionate about a certain group, I wouldn't care how far I had to drive to get to the camps. I know people who drive fourteen hours to march in their group of choice, which was a decrease in driving time after the group changed locations.

I also know people who have to fly to every camp, and do, despite the presence of groups in their home town.

point being- people who want to march in a group bad enough will find a way, no matter how far the distance

In '96 we had a good amount of international marchers as well. Japanese, Dutch, and Brits for sure. A good contingency from the Netherlands (Jubal) populated the ranks of the Scouts in the '90s. Edwin Bogert being one of them. Those guys made my 8 hour drive seem like nothing. I can't imagine the cost to those guys just to march a Div. 1 drum corps. Now THAT'S dedication!

Not sure about Dann, but I just checked to find that one of the Scouts audition locations is Denton, TX...so I would assume that means that Nick is still on board. Of course, that's only speculation on my part, but it would seem likely. That's a good thing, IMO. I think Nick has shown that he's more than capable at doing his job. Not to mention that he's one helluva guy. :laughing:

Denton, Texas makes sense as a audition site. This is the location for North Texas University, which is the premier college of music in the State of Texas. This lets the Scouts draw off some of the best musical talent in this state.

NTU has a huge music program - especially in percussion. Some percussion majors there have to struggle for instruction and performance time. So there is a large reservoir of talent there, that is dying for an opportunity to play. So even if this person does leave, it would make sense for Madison to continue recruiting there.

Texas has five times the population of Wisconsin, but Wisconsin has three times the number of WC corps. Hence, it is probably an imperative for corps from smaller states, to recruit in Texas.

Edited by oldschooldbc

Denton, Texas makes sense as a audition site. This is the location for North Texas University, which is the premier college of music in the State of Texas. This lets the Scouts draw off some of the best musical talent in this state.

NTU has a huge music program - especially in percussion. Some percussion majors there have to struggle for instruction and performance time. So there is a large reservoir of talent there, that is dying for an opportunity to play. So even if this person does leave, it would make sense for Madison to continue recruiting there.

Texas has five times the population of Wisconsin, but Wisconsin has three times the number of WC corps. Hence, it is probably an imperative for corps from smaller states, to recruit in Texas.

Not to mention being where Dr. Nicolas Williams, conductor of the concert band and director of the athletic bands (and Scout alum), is on faculty. Which is what leads me to believe that he is still involved. Like I said, I could be wrong to assume, but it just seems likely.

Please someone in the know, tell me we are not moving the operation to INDIANA.

Thanks!

Are you guessing they are moving?

Did you read they were moving?

I hope this is not about my POST where I stated that: ~I thought it would be cool if Scouts had a drum corp hall for camps in Bloomington~ ?

That was just a wish

Edited by Cop

How many true rookies will even see these announcements (or if they do, will understand how big they are)? Of those that come, will many vets have to worry about losing spots to true rookies? (provided they did their jobs in 09).

If any members come from other corps, what corps will they come from?

I think Madison will pull some members from other corps if they were in the mood to jump ship, and Madison has always had people who only wanted to march there, but unless they go in with a "no one is safe" mentality it's going to be a slow rise back to the Top 6.

One of the key elements in moving a corps up in the ranks is raising the talent of the members. This requires careful show design that pushes the members to continuously improve their skills over the summer and to retain that talent the following year. The next show needs to push even higher. You can't just leap for the Top 6 and hope for the best, you need to design a show that will move you up 2-3 places at a time (and if more becomes possible, all the better). The other option is to cut everyone and rebuild from scratch and I doubt that Madison will do that (and they shouldn't).

I have no doubt that the new creative staff will push Madison up, but I don't predict the lauded Top 6 until at least 2012.

I think Madison will pull some members from other corps if they were in the mood to jump ship, and Madison has always had people who only wanted to march there, but unless they go in with a "no one is safe" mentality it's going to be a slow rise back to the Top 6.

One of the key elements in moving a corps up in the ranks is raising the talent of the members. This requires careful show design that pushes the members to continuously improve their skills over the summer and to retain that talent the following year. The next show needs to push even higher. You can't just leap for the Top 6 and hope for the best, you need to design a show that will move you up 2-3 places at a time (and if more becomes possible, all the better). The other option is to cut everyone and rebuild from scratch and I doubt that Madison will do that (and they shouldn't).

I have no doubt that the new creative staff will push Madison up, but I don't predict the lauded Top 6 until at least 2012.

It WOULD suck, but as I understand it (and I certainly could be wrong) members have been required to re-audition every year for the last few years at least. That's pretty much standard practice nowadays.

It's been that way for awhile. While CURRENT members may carry more weight if they are as good as the other auditionees, it would only make sense that you would want the better talent. Several several years ago you could do the "once you earn a spot it's yours" thing, but with it being so competitive for membership among those showing up for auditions, you have to do this.

I would agree with all the above.