Corps to watch out for in 2010

Academy only had 19 age outs. If they can avoid mass exodus, they should remain as strong if not get stronger just based on skill.

The hard part is avoiding the mass exodus, especially when you have at least one top corps already engaging in what I would consider shady recruiting. I know of at least four Spirit members who got a communication from that corps today thanking them for filling out an interest form for the 2010 season and telling them that they will soon be getting an audition packet. Only problem is, none of them filled out any kind of interest form for that corps.

So yes, if the poachers will leave you alone, you might be able to avoid a mass exodus. Congratulations on this year, and good luck next season.

Since like 2002, Crown hasn't dropped a position but ONCE and they dropped from 7th to 8th.

16 10 7 7 8 6 4 2

Do you not recall reading the same thing on DCP about Bluecoats after 2006 ad nauseum? And their streak stretched back to '99.

crown will be a force to look out for that is for sure.

Honestly I think they're gonna have a drop off next year.

My guess would be probably 6th or 7th place.

Do you not recall reading the same thing on DCP about Bluecoats after 2006 ad nauseum? And their streak stretched back to '99.

Well Glassmen haven't dropped since 2003... 13 12 11 11 11 11 10. Talk about slow and steady progress.

I'd say:

1) Crown- Talk about a corps that's going to be salivating to win their first world title.....

2) Cavaliers- Was not an off year for them but I bet they will push the boundries next season...

3) Phantom- For good bad or indifferent, they will be the one's to watch.. The last time they sat as low as 9th was '98 Semis, but they beat us at Finals that night to place 8th... Took them 3 seasons to recover, we'll see whatr happens...

4) Bluecoats- Treaded water this year, will they stay the same...

5) Boston- Destinined to be in the hunt for the top 5 or 6 next year, or flash in the pan in '09??

6) Blue Knights- Sully's first BK drill with mostly first year members in '09. Add a year to their experience and if retention is good, they could be monsters in 2010....

7) Troopers- Troop mania in full effect, can they maintain a finalist caliber program and continue to gain or will they fight it out and place out of finals?

These are my corps to watch out for come 2010....

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

The hard part is avoiding the mass exodus, especially when you have at least one top corps already engaging in what I would consider shady recruiting. I know of at least four Spirit members who got a communication from that corps today thanking them for filling out an interest form for the 2010 season and telling them that they will soon be getting an audition packet. Only problem is, none of them filled out any kind of interest form for that corps.

That's not surprising. I'm sure the top corps keep databases of campers and what not, filed by age, region, etc. It's competitive and commitments are two-party verbal agreements renewable annually. No one's a member of anything in September. I won't begrudge anyone for that. Recruiting is part of the game. I don't think that's shady. Shady would be recruiting folks from other corps in June (and yet even that has been done as long as I have been following DCI, which is going on 30 years).

For Academy I think they may be facing a big transition. They were hyper-local when they started, but I imagine some of those kids who started when they were 17 are now facing age-outs and having their loyalty tested. I think for them to take the next step they have to keep those home-grown kids and they need to start landing more of those open-class vets looking to step up in competition.

I'm not close to the corps and don't really have a feel for what they're specifically doing. I just have a general confidence in leadership.

• Like 1