Corps to watch out for in 2010

For a world-class corps? I find that hard to believe. Anyone else confirm or deny that statement? That's more than 1/3rd of the corps. I have my doubts any corps that regularly lands in the top 12 faces that kind of inexperience on a regular basis. Certainly not in the hyper-competitive areas of battery and high-end blowers.

Maybe not low, but it sounds about average. From the ageout numbers thread, we know that Crown had around 54 ageouts, and other corps, especially ones at the top, had similar numbers. Also, I think a lot of people on DCP mistake "inexperience" for "inability". Inexperienced people can still make the cut at a high-level corps. It's the staff's job to teach technique anyway.

Obviously...

Lol obviously not everyone in the corps feels the same way.

I obviously wasn't making a blanket statement about everyone.

But I do believe that we will see them lose more vets than expected.

For a world-class corps? I find that hard to believe. Anyone else confirm or deny that statement? That's more than 1/3rd of the corps. I have my doubts any corps that regularly lands in the top 12 faces that kind of inexperience on a regular basis. Certainly not in the hyper-competitive areas of battery and high-end blowers.

Well retaining 100 members from last season is easier said than done. I'd say the corps I marched in was about half if not over half rookies and we make finals regularly.

Edited by Horizon

Lol obviously not everyone in the corps feels the same way.

I obviously wasn't making a blanket statement about everyone.

But I do believe that we will see them lose more vets than expected.

The same thing happened to them for the 09 season, though. A lot of vets didn't return after 08. People were worried for a while, but it ended up alright, I think. Still, it would be great for them if they got everybody back that they could.

Edited by Derek Smith

Do you not recall reading the same thing on DCP about Bluecoats after 2006 ad nauseum? And their streak stretched back to '99.

Well, '06 Bluecoats were not at the level of '07, '08 or '09 Crown. Let's look facts in the face - any other year in DCI history and that '06 Bluecoats corps would have been 6th (at best).

look how quickly their guard program turned. it can happen in percussion as well. in the early season they were beating corps who finished 3-4 spots ahead of them. consistency will be their challenge.

Totally agree with Tom. This years Academy's battery was basically built from scratch. I can remember the same could be said for their guard, and look at what they achieved this year. :cool:

The home grown quality and reputation has been and continues to be very solid. With each year of seasoning "The Academy" members mature and their Drum Corps Horizons expand and its understandable that some do indeed move on to higher ranking Corps. However, this speaks very highly of its programs instructional staff. To them goes the credit in the ongoing building of a program of "Building Great People Through Great Performances."

The Academy made an incredible recovery from last years disappointing 18th place finish. This summers wonderful "Ascent" to 14th with a strong threat to The Colts and The Troopers this year for 12th and 13th place, will bode well for its staff, membership retention and future recruiting, I believe.

The Academys instructional staff is outstanding. With the increased retention of their incredibly developing membership, and staff kept in place, I see The Academy's future ever so bright.

THANK YOU ACADEMY for a most enjoyable season! It was an honor to tour with you in SoCal and Nevada.

• Like 1

But I hope you don't mean rough as in "not good"...A 2nd place percussion section and a 1st place brass section, along with arguably a top 2 colorguard.

It's very possible to have a really rough summer but still do well competitively. Their could be members within the drumline that don't like eachother, or some issues with the staff, or something to make their summer not enjoyable, despite them doing very well competitively.