drum corps are not bands

If I go march in a corps that only rehearses on weekends and does local shows, then will I know? If you can't answer my question, the three times I've asked it, I'm going to have to assume that your assertion that drum corps is defined by the experience holds no water. As if the experience someone gets marching in the Cadets can compare with the experience someone gets marching with Mystikal.

Anyone else think it's ridiculous to label a musical ensemble based the experience members have participating in it?

Many who have had that experience, myself included, would say it's not.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't spend 75 straight days with your marching band, living out of high school gyms, touring all over the country, and performing for thousands of people all summer long.

You don't do that with your small open class drum corps either, but it's still a drum corps. Now the question is, why is it a drum corps?

And please, let's stop with the accusations that I'm claiming to know what it's like to be in a drum corps. I never claimed I did. You guys are smarter than this.

OK, I was about as far from "street gang" as could be when I joined drum corps, so I'll give you that one. But it was still a drum corps, not a band. Things might be different now.

I was one of the few kids who could read music and there was chuncky little middle class nerd right in the middle of a street gang with instruments. I learned to fight, they learned to read music.

But anyone from the early 70's can attest to the street gang mentality. There were just too many fights between corps. Ask someone about the big blowout between Kilties and Blessed Sac ( I think).

Drum corps ( as I knew it was pretty brutal. Some corps got along, many did not.

W a r r i o r s .....come out to PLaaaaaaayyyyyyyy

I agree, back then, it was not band, however, today we have auditions, tuition, areobeds, staffs of 30+, nice buses that seldom break down, a nurse on tour etc. It's now more of a high polished marchine, AND much better than anything we could even dream of doing.

However, just as instruments have changed, so has the purpose and so has the activity so it's fitting to me to stop the argument and just call it

Marching Music's Major League. :cool: Not drum corps, not just marching band

I was one of the few kids who could read music and there was chuncky little middle class nerd right in the middle of a street gang with instruments. I learned to fight, they learned to read music.

But anyone from the early 70's can attest to the street gang mentality. There were just too many fights between corps. Ask someone about the big blowout between Kilties and Blessed Sac ( I think).

Drum corps ( as I knew it was pretty brutal. Some corps got along, many did not.

W a r r i o r s .....come out to PLaaaaaaayyyyyyyy

I agree, back then, it was not band, however, today we have auditions, tuition, areobeds, staffs of 30+, nice buses that seldom break down, a nurse on tour etc. It's now more of a high polished marchine, AND much better than anything we could even dream of doing.

However, just as instruments have changed, so has the purpose and so has the activity so it's fitting to me to stop the argument and just call it

Marching Music's Major League. :cool: Not drum corps, not just marching band

Which is exactly how DCI is marketing itself now. Well said.

Everyone gets their own name.

Yea, I can think of a couple for some people right now :cool:

Which is exactly how DCI is marketing itself now. Well said.

So, can we all agree that DCI is Marching Music's Major league ?

It's not D&B corps because no bugles but it sure ain't just marching band

Pass the collection plate, you may leave church after we hear Amazing Grace

Well, I have a feeling pretty soon we will no longer have to debate this distinction. It will be officially made for us. I think once MENC gets to work on this thing in their new DCI office things will really start to take off. I think one thing that will be interesting is that people who saw themselves as leading the innovation of this activity may no longer see themselves that way.

(Cough, Cough, Mr. Hopkins) You may start viewing yourself as a "legacy fan". :cool:

Edited by bmroth1

For me, a drum corps is an independent marching musical organization consisting of brass and drums. Some do full summer tours with DCI, some are only part time. Some compete, some march in parades. Some rehearse intensely, others hardly at all. A "marching band" (at least by DCP's definition) is a scholastic organization, connected to a high school, college or university. The instrumentation is usually brass, woodwinds, and percussion, though you'll occasionally find some that are brass and drums, most famously the OSU marching band. Marching bands are entirely part time -- that is, all the members have obligations other than band. Some bands practice intensely, some don't. Some are very good, some are bad, just like drum corps. That said, if an independent organization made up of brass and drums decided to call itself a marching band, who could say that was wrong? It would still be a band that marches.

Of course, it's a lot more complicated than that. Drum corps and band have always closely intertwined, even in the days when membership was largely separated. The "bugle" thing causes a lot of confusion too, since everyone seems to have his or her own definition of the term.

As for the elitism drum corps vets often show towards band, it's just something that comes from being part of an exclusive club. I spent eight years in the military, and during that time and since I have met a lot of nauseating people who wear their service on their sleeves and sneer down at others who haven't had the same experience. It's like that with drum corps too, and the PTA, the Cub Scouts, whatever organization you can think of. Drum corps should teach respect and humility, but a lot of folks just don't seem to have gotten that message.

Edited by Rifuarian

Also, I'm a fan of drum corps and could care less about marching band. Why do you think that is?

Because you're open minded?