drum corps are not bands

Well the best way to describe the difference anymore:

DCA=Drum Corps

DCI=I will reference what Dan Acheson said in order to explain....he said they are like really good high school marching bands but they are independent clubs.

Edited by bmroth1

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yet the powers that market say differently

the powers that market are trying to make it relatable to the audience they want to attract- a bunch of marching band kids.

While referring to DCI groups as "marching bands" is technically correct, it is also quite insulting and often times unnecessary.

I wouldn't spend my entire life referring to all squares as rectangles. Obviously that would be technically correct, but completely unnecessary and confusing to most people.

It is also important to note that while people will end up being ###### in making sure that you never refer to drum corps as "bands", their opinion is still correct IMO. Drum Corps is and will always be different from marching band, so referring to it exclusively as a drum corps would be more appropriate.

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Hrothgar.

I'll make it simple.

Shut up and march a ####### World Class drum corps. Then we'll talk.

Go ahead and warn me, ban me, whatever. I just want him to know that I'm sick of him assuming that he knows what drum corps is like without ever having done it. Seriously, man. Shut up and do it.

I don't really have an interest, but thanks for the suggestion. I have no idea what marching in a drum corps is like. Never will. And never claimed to. I have no idea what playing in a brass band is like, or what playing in a rock band is like, or what playing professional football is like. But I know what is and is not a brass band, what is and is not a rock band, and what is and is not a professional football team. All I'm claiming that what is and is not "a drum corps" is defined by the instrumentation, not by the experience, which is completely different between the Madison Scouts and the Racine Scouts, and depending on the corps can be obtained in ensembles other than drum corps.

And don't worry, I won't report your post. Believe me, if I took what people on here said to me personally, I'd be one depresssed individual.

While referring to DCI groups as "marching bands" is technically correct, it is also quite insulting and often times unnecessary.

I wouldn't spend my entire life referring to all squares as rectangles. Obviously that would be technically correct, but completely unnecessary and confusing to most people.

It is also important to note that while people will end up being ###### in making sure that you never refer to drum corps as "bands", their opinion is still correct IMO. Drum Corps is and will always be different from marching band, so referring to it exclusively as a drum corps would be more appropriate.

It may seem insulting but that is what DCI represents themselves as now. Why should I refer to their product differently than they do?

It may seem insulting but that is what DCI represents themselves as now. Why should I refer to their product differently than they do?

DCI isnt marketing them as bands. They might do what all of us do (and what has always been done) when trying to initially explain what drum corps is... which is take the next closest, most relatable thing, and point out the biggest differences that are tangible to an audience member.

Ive never heard DCI call a corps a band.

Edited by alarson83

Because you're an independent person who holds their own ideals of what they think is right, regardless of the fact that you're only a spectator at this point. :cool:

On an unrelated note... were those your real predictions? If so... 2\12.. ouch.

“Drum Corps: For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible."

DCI isnt marketing them as bands. They might do what all of us do (and what has always been done) when trying to initially explain what drum corps is... which is take the next closest, most relatable thing, and point out the biggest differences that are tangible to an audience member.

Ive never heard DCI call a corps a band.

I refer you to Dan's TV interview in Indy over the DCI weekend. He could not use the word drum corps one time. He could not even mention the name of his own organization: Drum Corps International. When he refereed to his organization he said "We here at the Marching Music Major Leagues". He intentionally stayed away from using the term Drum Corps. He didn't have to use the word bands. It was more than the normal lets explain what drum corps is to someone who hasn't been exposed to the activity. This was WAY different.