Is it worth being THAT guy?

So I saw the Crossmen's show a few times this year and I dig it but my question pertains to the member (I assume it's a member) who stands up in the back bleachers with the mask and such.

This guy and (forgive me if this wasn't brought up in '06 already) the guy from '06 SCV who walks around the field are positions I don't quite understand.

To me, paying $2000 + to march means learning drill and music and cleaning and performing and such but the two positions mentioned above have neither drill nor music to learn. What's the incentive to fill these spots? Reduced dues maybe? Perhaps I'm just not understanding the significance of them. I fully appreciate traditions and the use of constant motion but I don't understand paying so much to do so little.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bones isn't a member. It's usually someone on staff or associated with the corps in some way. He also isn't at every show

I think that Mr Moto or whatever they called him was a member that had been injured at some point and was no longer able to march his actual spot, so they gave him the chance to do that instead of going home.

So I saw the Crossmen's show a few times this year and I dig it but my question pertains to the member (I assume it's a member) who stands up in the back bleachers with the mask and such.

This guy and (forgive me if this wasn't brought up in '06 already) the guy from '06 SCV who walks around the field are positions I don't quite understand.

To me, paying $2000 + to march means learning drill and music and cleaning and performing and such but the two positions mentioned above have neither drill nor music to learn. What's the incentive to fill these spots? Reduced dues maybe? Perhaps I'm just not understanding the significance of them. I fully appreciate traditions and the use of constant motion but I don't understand paying so much to do so little.

There' people more in the know than me, but I'm almost 100% sure that that Bones is an alum or staff member.

And IIRC, Mr. Moto was a member who sustained an injury but had that special part written for him so he could stay with the corps. He got a lot of attention that year, and entered the drill down by the 10 or 20 yard line on side 1, thus was able to march the closing part of the show.

Correct! You do not understand the story behind these. :cool:

Bones: The guy who you saw at a show is an alumni and/or staff member. He shows up at at least 1 show per year in the back stands as a sort of "special guest" for the Crossmen. I'm actually not certain of his origin, but I do know that he's been doing this for a while.

bones2.jpg

Mr. Moto: This guy was actually injured at some point in 2006 and couldn't march a full show. Rather than kicking him back home, the design staff decided to keep him for the summer and act as a sort of "main character" for the whole show. The whole show he can be seen marching around the field at a slow tempo, and off the field he could be seen marching around looking cool n' stuff. :tongue: I'm not sure if he actually played his trumpet during the whole show, but he did close out the show in a very cool way. I'm not sure if he got his dues reduced, but either way I thought it was cool the design staff still kept him in the show.

And there has actually been people in shows that don't really do much. Look up Capital Regiment 2005(?). They had a few kids push a giant prop sundial around the field the whole show. GREAT idea by the genius design staff :cool:

Edited by NR_Ohiobando

Yeah, Bones isn't a member. Usually a staff member or alum (we assume). . . he dates back to the 80s. Usually it's more than once a year. This year he was at San Antonio, Atlanta, Allentown, Semis and maybe one or two other shows. . . West Chester?

Someone posted before that the person playing the Alpenhorn? (don't remember the name or the spelling) in the cavaliers' show this year "paid thousands to play 7 seconds then march to the corner of the field" does anyone know if that's true?

Someone posted before that the person playing the Alpenhorn? (don't remember the name or the spelling) in the cavaliers' show this year "paid thousands to play 7 seconds then march to the corner of the field" does anyone know if that's true?

Shofar....an alphorn is the one in the Riccola commercials. I don't know that the shofar is the only thing that guy did...he could've just been a memebr who dropped from the drill to play it, then got back in...similar to someone who drops out to do some conducting from the side of the field.

I thought the idea of Mr. Moto was cool idea and fit the show perfectly. Also pretty sure he never played since it takes him the entire show to walk the perimeter of the field and then on the field for the exit. And who wouldn't want to end their show by being sorted off the field by that plate line?

Bones is a classic!

Edited by skajerk

Shofar....an alphorn is the one in the Riccola commercials. I don't know that the shofar is the only thing that guy did...he could've just been a memebr who dropped from the drill to play it, then got back in...similar to someone who drops out to do some conducting from the side of the field.

Oh right now I remember all the "shofar" jokes. That's what I was thinking is that he could've just played it and got back in, I don't see how that could be the only thing someone would do.