Question for critics of the synths/electronics

This football field vs. concert hall setting argument is starting to get a bit irritating.

Personally, I would want to see an instrument played with proper technique no matter the location.

This football field vs. concert hall setting argument is starting to get a bit irritating.

Personally, I would want to see an instrument played with proper technique no matter the location.

There once were ensembles that played outside and used only instruments that were intended to be played and heard at a distance from the audience without artificial amplification and using correct technique. IIRC, these instruments were called.....

Drums and Bugles.

What is proper technique? Is it not dependent on the style of music being played? Do you want to see orchestral snare technique in a marching battery?

Technique is just a means to an end, and hammering the keys WAS the proper technique when trying to project in a football field without the aid of amplifiers.

Its thinking like this that is the reason that drum corps will NEVER be accepted as an artform by the concert crowd.

. . .as if anyone in the "concert crowd" would accept someones arranged pastiche of anothers work as a separate artform or care about what technique someone uses to go to the "box".

Let's not navel-gaze too much.

. . .until it all goes inside and stays there, it will continue to irritate you.

Different venues call for different techniques, period.

It's not a "trick," it's a technique. Why should brass overpower everything?

Well, brass instruments generally carry the melodic line in a show. . .so, unless we're going to go the WGI route and have marimbas play everything with 70-some people standing around doing nothing, they will continue to "overpower" everything.

What is proper technique? Is it not dependent on the style of music being played? Do you want to see orchestral snare technique in a marching battery?

Technique is just a means to an end, and hammering the keys WAS the proper technique when trying to project in a football field without the aid of amplifiers.

Technique that does not damage your instrument is one thing I consider as part of "proper technique."

Traditional grip for snare drums is often used in orchestral settings, by the way.

So you can't listen to Dave Weckl, Chick Corea, Michel Camilo, Led Zzepplin, The Beatles or any other music besides some classical and ragtime? Wow, I feel bad for you!

Those people have professional sound engineers doing work for them. Drum corps amps and synths get some volunteers, a few staff who might know something about amplification since they did it for their band and about five minutes before a show.

There's a big, big difference there.

Exactly!

I've performed in good halls, bad halls, and outside; I've performed classical and pop music, play flute, recorders, tuba, and voice. At the very least you always have to make minor adjustments and sometime you have to make big adjustments.

Nothing, including amps, works for every situation.

Edited by shawn craig

Technique that does not damage your instrument is one thing I consider as part of "proper technique."

Traditional grip for snare drums is often used in orchestral settings, by the way.

I didn't say anything about grip, it is just one part of technique, by the way. Would you like to see the same approach to the instrument, stroke mechanics etc. in a battery that you would see in a concert hall?