Question for critics of the synths/electronics

There seems to be such a high demand for a form of drum corps that isn't anything like what DCI has become today. It's strange that there isn't more of a push to start a new junior drum corps circuit with these demanded elements.

Money makes the world go 'round, my friend.

If someone won PowerBall and had 8-10 million or so seed money to lure away some big name units away from DCI . . . it could be done. The tour, the dates, the financial and organizational structure and the championship stadium would have to be amazing and hit the ground running full steam to compete with DCI.

There would have to be the requisite sponsorships from the instrument manufacturers and a catering to certain elements of the music education and performance orgs to get a foot in the door some places, so there might not ultimately be that much difference. There would be no way to go back to G bugles as a whole circuit "rule" to be taken seriously, or anything else that was constrictive.

On the other hand, such a new circuit could even decide to have an "anything goes" division as well, and take the bull by the horns. In the past decade, there was at least some discussion of some corps leaving the tour and performing in exhibition. Think one of the top units might be receptive to a new org footing the bill for them trying out woodwinds/strings/whatever in another division? I'd imagine at least one might jump at the chance.

Then, you have to consider . . .you're splitting up an already tiny amount of corps, and could spread things too thin. Then again, maybe you get senior corps involved and partner with DCA to create shows around the country that feature all of the groups in direct competition with each other. Sure, the DCA corps might lose some . . .but I'll bet they'd welcome the the opportunity to get paid for an appearance and perform more locally.

With the right planning and money infusion, it could be done . . .but it would have to have a lot fall into place to make it happen.

So, thus endeth the pipe dream. :throwupen:

There would be no way to go back to G bugles as a whole circuit "rule" to be taken seriously, or anything else that was constrictive.

How come a popular junior drum corps circuit that only allows G bugles can exist in 1999, but not 2009?

There seems to be such a high demand for a form of drum corps that isn't anything like what DCI has become today. It's strange that there isn't more of a push to start a new junior drum corps circuit with these demanded elements.

Obviously nobody actually "demands" them enough to do that. But it's fun to at least talk about it on here.

How come a popular junior drum corps circuit that only allows G bugles can exist in 1999, but not 2009?

Think dollars and cents for a minute.

It's easier to start a unit with Bb instruments . . .if kids bring their own horns in a start up unit, then that's less money you have to spend.

That's not to say that a new drum corps organization couldn't welcome G bugle units into competition . . .but if you want a new org to succeed, you have to give them as many chances at that success as possible.

Think dollars and cents for a minute.

It's easier to start a unit with Bb instruments . . .if kids bring their own horns in a start up unit, then that's less money you have to spend.

That's not to say that a new drum corps organization couldn't welcome G bugle units into competition . . .but if you want a new org to succeed, you have to give them as many chances at that success as possible.

What happened to all the G bugles that the junior corps used in 1999? All sold to senior corps?

What happened to all the G bugles that the junior corps used in 1999? All sold to senior corps?

Most senior corps are in Bb now (Renegades and just a few others are exceptions) . . .I know Pioneer sold theirs recently to a unit in South Africa, and I can imagine that a lot of other bugles are probably overseas as well.

It is funny, if you think about it . . .how a lot of the overseas units (Drum Corps Japan for instance) still hold fast to some of the rules that we've left behind. DCJ puts out some good stuff, too, if you want to still hear G bugles. :throwupen:

Most senior corps are in Bb now (Renegades and just a few others are exceptions) . . .I know Pioneer sold theirs recently to a unit in South Africa, and I can imagine that a lot of other bugles are probably overseas as well.

It is funny, if you think about it . . .how a lot of the overseas units (Drum Corps Japan for instance) still hold fast to some of the rules that we've left behind. DCJ puts out some good stuff, too, if you want to still hear G bugles. :throwupen:

That's pretty depressing. I really loved that unique sound that wasn't found in any other ensemble. To me, the Bb/F horns are like imitation brand G bugles. Cheaper, but nowhere near as good as the original, and you can always tell the difference.

So if senior corps aren't even using them now, and had few groups to sell them to, does this mean that there are just full sets of G bugles lying around in warehouses somewhere?

So if senior corps aren't even using them now, and had few groups to sell them to, does this mean that there are just full sets of G bugles lying around in warehouses somewhere?

I doubt it . . .I'd imagine they've probably fallen into disrepair (the last few years Pioneer was on G, they basically had to tape 'em together, as I understand it), or will be snapped up by collectors on eBay over the coming years. There may be a bit of a market for them with DCA's minicorps, but quite a few of those are in Bb as well.

If you miss the sound, seriously check out the Renegades or some of the groups in DCJ . . .there's still some groups left that know how to make that organ-like, overtone-laden goodness that is a sound like no other. :throwupen:

I doubt it . . .I'd imagine they've probably fallen into disrepair (the last few years Pioneer was on G, they basically had to tape 'em together, as I understand it), or will be snapped up by collectors on eBay over the coming years. There may be a bit of a market for them with DCA's minicorps, but quite a few of those are in Bb as well.

If you miss the sound, seriously check out the Renegades or some of the groups in DCJ . . .there's still some groups left that know how to make that organ-like, overtone-laden goodness that is a sound like no other. :throwupen:

I really like the Renegades as a corps. Unfortunately I don't live near anywhere I would have a chance to see them live.

It's interesting that the DCJ corps still use G bugles. Definitely something I am going to check out.