Question for critics of the synths/electronics

I really like the Renegades as a corps. Unfortunately I don't live near anywhere I would have a chance to see them live.

It's interesting that the DCJ corps still use G bugles. Definitely something I am going to check out.

Look for the Inspires, especially . . .they did a show called "M" a few years ago (that features a chart you probably know pretty well, rhymes with Palaguena) that is freaking amazing.

They've also been to DCA Championships a time or two.

I really like the Renegades as a corps. Unfortunately I don't live near anywhere I would have a chance to see them live.

It's interesting that the DCJ corps still use G bugles. Definitely something I am going to check out.

how far are you from Rochester?

If I had a car, attending DCA finals would certainly be on my to-do list. :throwupen:

get friends with a car :peek:

get friends with a car :throwupen:

We're poor college students who live in the middle of West Philadelphia...no one has a car up here. Makes for terrible drum corps viewing situations. Taking SEPTA back from West Chester University at 11:30 at night is NOT an experience I would like to repeat any time soon. :peek:

Edited by Hrothgar15

I'm pretty surprised by all the people who are saying things to the effect of "suck it up" in regards to changing mallet percussion technique for outdoor playing. I marched with an excellent percussionist, who was pursuing a career as a professional percussionist, who PERMANENTLY AND IRREVOCABLY DAMAGED his wrists because he was forced to play with dangerous and irresponsible technique to be heard. He has to change his whole life because you want him to hurt himself to uphold tradition? Maybe I'm missing something, but that sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

Pits should be amplified, but they are way too loud, all of them. I'm not sure why they haven't had any success balancing with the other musicians on the field, but they haven't. They need to figure it out.

Synthesizers seem both ridiculous, not to mention anti-traditional, and an interesting innovation if they would ever be used in an interesting way. Colts this year seemed to have the least stupid use of synths, but imho all other uses were unneeded, intrusive, unmusical, and a slap in the face of the old school drum corps community. I'm not saying they couldn't be effective, because there is no way that anyone could know something like that. However, I am saying that with one exception all uses so far have been ineffective.

Design teams owe it to the fans to achieve higher levels of artistic success with synths in order to justify their use. They pushed for them, got them, and then proceeded to use them in a fashion that the majority of fans (or rather the tiny portion of the fans that have ever heard of DCP, which is seriously a fraction of a percent and the sooner you all realize that the happier you will be :throwupen:, see I'm already smiling) strongly disliked. They should use them for something effective, or choose not to use them, and I think that with some time they will. Hopefully not too much time.

Edited by 709

Synthesizers seem both ridiculous, not to mention anti-traditional, and an interesting innovation if they would ever be used in an interesting way. Colts this year seemed to have the least stupid use of synths, but imho all other uses were unneeded, intrusive, unmusical, and a slap in the face of the old school drum corps community. I'm not saying they couldn't be effective, because there is no way that anyone could know something like that. However, I am saying that with one exception all uses so far have been ineffective.

Design teams owe it to the fans to achieve higher levels of artistic success with synths in order to justify their use. They pushed for them, got them, and then proceeded to use them in a fashion that the majority of fans (or rather the tiny portion of the fans that have ever heard of DCP, which is seriously a fraction of a percent and the sooner you all realize that the happier you will be :throwupen:, see I'm already smiling) strongly disliked. They should use them for something effective, or choose not to use them, and I think that with some time they will. Hopefully not too much time.

Since synths are this new, maybe design teams are still getting used to incorporating them into their shows? If you think they have promise but haven't been utilized fully yet, how about giving it a few years?

I'm pretty surprised by all the people who are saying things to the effect of "suck it up" in regards to changing mallet percussion technique for outdoor playing. I marched with an excellent percussionist, who was pursuing a career as a professional percussionist, who PERMANENTLY AND IRREVOCABLY DAMAGED his wrists because he was forced to play with dangerous and irresponsible technique to be heard. He has to change his whole life because you want him to hurt himself to uphold tradition? Maybe I'm missing something, but that sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

Sounds like a bunch of crap to me, too. No one was forced to play with dangerous and irresponsible technique.

My deepest condolences to the percussionist in question....I can only begin to empathize, as my own middle-aged wrists hamper my ability to type these words. But this was indeed a senseless tragedy, because drum corps (even in the pre-amp days) had plenty of options available to produce adequate volume from pit instruments. Choice of instruments, choice of mallets, staging, acoustic projection, arranging of parts, toning down other sections to balance, and of course, increasing the number of whatever pit instrument we're talking about....these were all viable options a corps could adopt to make a pit part project without pounding away to the point of self-injury.