Question for critics of the synths/electronics

Oof. This is treading on dangerous ground. I have numerous friends that refuse to listen to DCI because Kevlar heads have made snares sound like table tops. If you're an old-school drummer, it's nails on a chalkboard.

Changing the material keyboards are made of to withstand the rigors of outdoor playing would undoubtedly have the same affect on tone.

It's already done. It's been done for many, many years. (I was being sarcastic in my original remarks - sorry if it wasn't clear.) Outdoor mallet keyboard design was pretty rudimentary in my day, and it has improved by quantum leaps since then, that's for sure. Keys have much more resonance and durability now than ever before, so that makes for fewer repairs, better touch and tone, and happier ears.

As for mylar vs. kevlar - that's a completely different bag o' worms that I won't touch with a 10 foot pole! :throwupen:

That's weird, I wasn't aware that a marching snare is an orchestral instrument.

I've seen it used in an orchestral setting. And in "BLAST!", for that matter, which is a fun hybrid setting.

Interestingly enough, it was played with a technique that suited the venue, rather than being more suited to a football field.

Imagine that.

I'm pretty surprised by all the people who are saying things to the effect of "suck it up" in regards to changing mallet percussion technique for outdoor playing. I marched with an excellent percussionist, who was pursuing a career as a professional percussionist, who PERMANENTLY AND IRREVOCABLY DAMAGED his wrists because he was forced to play with dangerous and irresponsible technique to be heard. He has to change his whole life because you want him to hurt himself to uphold tradition? Maybe I'm missing something, but that sounds like a bunch of crap to me.

Why weren't those doing the "forcing" prosecuted? Did they use weapons or just coercion to "force" this player to injure themself?

These instruments were used for thirty years or so in the drum corps arena, prior to being amplified. If they are dangerous, or just plain sounded bad, as some are suggesting, then the obvious solution would have been to stop using them many years ago. Since rather than discontuing their use, they are used in ever increasing numbers, this 'sounds like a bunch of crap to me'.

Why weren't those doing the "forcing" prosecuted? Did they use weapons or just coercion to "force" this player to injure themself?

These instruments were used for thirty years or so in the drum corps arena, prior to being amplified. If they are dangerous, or just plain sounded bad, as some are suggesting, then the obvious solution would have been to stop using them many years ago. Since rather than discontuing their use, they are used in ever increasing numbers, this 'sounds like a bunch of crap to me'.

Don't understand the response. No one had heard of carpal tunnel in the 70s, but it became a very real problem for those who grew up in in the era of rigid drum corps technique. So much of the "all wrist" technique taught in some circles was completely the opposite of the history of regimented drums (i.e. Moeller stroke, Gladstone technique, etc.) and isn't very good for your wrists or tendons. People started to catch on in the 90s and drum corps started to loosen up because of it. Not radically, but for the better.

It's not out of the question that banging the keyboards with extreme force -- even with good technique -- can cause injury, especially considering the repetition over the course of the summer. The really is no precedence for hitting a keyboard that hard outside of drum corps. I suppose it's the same risk a horn player takes with their embouchure.

Edited by Gaddabout

Granted, we know more about repetitive motion injuries now than we did 30 years ago.

I guess my point is that the desire for amplification seems to have arisen from a desire to "fix" a problem with a group of instruments. The fix, I am told, is necessary because these instruments don't fit well with the way they are/were being used. I still think that if these instruments are/were such a poor choice for the use they were put to, they should have been discontinued long ago. Corps have tried many strange things over the years, and the ones that didn't work well or sound good didn't last long. Think trombonium bugles, for one example. Changing the game so that a bad idea (and I am not claiming that mallet percussion was a bad idea, but many say it sounded bad in it's acoustic form) becomes good at the expense of your identity doesn't strike me as the best solution.

Just because there is electricity in the stadium doesn't mean that it is the best way to make your pit sound "good". Many would argue that it doesn't make the pit sound good at all.

Granted, we know more about repetitive motion injuries now than we did 30 years ago.

I guess my point is that the desire for amplification seems to have arisen from a desire to "fix" a problem with a group of instruments. The fix, I am told, is necessary because these instruments don't fit well with the way they are/were being used. I still think that if these instruments are/were such a poor choice for the use they were put to, they should have been discontinued long ago. Corps have tried many strange things over the years, and the ones that didn't work well or sound good didn't last long. Think trombonium bugles, for one example. Changing the game so that a bad idea (and I am not claiming that mallet percussion was a bad idea, but many say it sounded bad in it's acoustic form) becomes good at the expense of your identity doesn't strike me as the best solution.

Just because there is electricity in the stadium doesn't mean that it is the best way to make your pit sound "good". Many would argue that it doesn't make the pit sound good at all.

Eh. We could always make them march again. LOL

*ducking thrown objects*

I know I am in a very small minority, but I would love to see a rule that anything used in a corps performance has to be capable of being marched with. Use what you will grounded, bring it on or off on a cart, trailer or pack mule, that's all good, but be capable of being used while moving since this is after all "Marching Music's" major league.

*Said, of course, from as safe and flame retardant place as possible*

I know I am in a very small minority, but I would love to see a rule that anything used in a corps performance has to be capable of being marched with. Use what you will grounded, bring it on or off on a cart, trailer or pack mule, that's all good, but be capable of being used while moving since this is after all "Marching Music's" major league.

*Said, of course, from as safe and flame retardant place as possible*

Add me to your minority.

get friends with a car :throwupen:

Jeff, this is Hrothgar. Hrothgar, this is Jeff.

Hrothtgar, Jeff will pick you up on the way to Rochester, even though it's a bit out of his way. But, being the kind of guy he is, I'm sure he wouldn't mind just to add another fan to the DCA family.

Bring gas and munchie money.

Problem solved!

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

I agree with you to an extent. Firstly, I consider myself a part of the "concert crowd," (am on grad faculty for piano) and I do consider drum corps an art form. I LOVE drum corps.

However, I have seen some of my music profs either: 1. Walk out of a drum corps show OR 2. Say, "Don't tell anyone I was here."

So, gah, I don't know man. I wish more people liked this stuff.

Drum corps is not for everyone.......that is for sure. To me....part of what has compromised the originality of drum corps is outside folks telling (Influencing) inside folks what they think drum corps should look and sound like.

Edited by Triple Forte