When have pits been too loud?

I've noticed a lot of posts with "The pit is too loud! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!". I personally have only thought that for one section of one show and all or 2 other shows in the past 5 years. So what other shows are you all talking about?

Bonus: Which shows had a very well-balanced pit?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Live: Bluecoats, this year. One of the most poorly balanced pits I can remember hearing. My ears hurt afterwards every time I saw this show.

On the recordings: Every show since 2004.

Even pits that weren't amped for years afterwards?

Please give a better argument.

Don't be daft. We are only talking about pits that are amped. Speaking of which, I've been going to shows since 2005 and can't ever remember seeing a DCI corps that didn't have their pit amped, ever.

Ever since amps became legal for 2004.

Some corps know how to use them properly (BD typically)....some others, not so much. SCV has been one of the worst offenders...every year, it seems like.

I agree. I remember seeing SCV several times in 04. One of the loudest pits EVER! Or maybe it was just the times I saw them?

One example of course. There are many others.

Someone can correct me if my impression is wrong, but I've been following SCV for a LONG time, long before amps, and their pit has ALWAYS seemed heavy handed to me. I sort of like it because of the music they play, but the have always projected over the horns somehow.

I agree. I remember seeing SCV several times in 04. One of the loudest pits EVER! Or maybe it was just the times I saw them?

One example of course. There are many others.

Part of what makes a pit too loud is the placement of the speakers. In 04 each pit member in BD had their own speaker and own mixing board...the blend and balance was great...and the music actually came FROM the instrument being played.

Contrast that to a corps with one or two big speaker stacks and a single mixing board...not only can the actual MUSICIAN not control the mix, all the sound comes from somewhere other than the instrument.....very strange and distracting to see keyboards in the middle and the sound coming from the ends...

Part of what makes a pit too loud is the placement of the speakers. In 04 each pit member in BD had their own speaker and own mixing board...the blend and balance was great...and the music actually came FROM the instrument being played.

Yup. The feeling of music coming from a source that is yards away from where it is produced leaves the listener feeling duped. It's confusing. Very distracting during any show. All corps I see nowadays have two amps, one on either side of the pit, and all the sounds come from them.

A lot of shows in '04 were unbalanced. I think that stems from the excuse of "its our first time working with them."

Shows have gotten better but I thought a lot of shows this year were as unbalanced as ever.