Which hornlines have been too loud?

so...

no one thinks the horn lines are too loud.

lots of people think the pits are too loud.

clearly obvious what needs to be done... turn down the amps!

Ding ding ding!

I knew this thread would work.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

clearly we all like loud hornlines, provided they aren't being gross, Jordan. Surely you didn't start a thread just to get everyone to agree on something that was common sense.

Me? There were corps this year that did overpower the pit. And there were corps that had really awful stick outs in sections of the corps. Do I want hornlines to play softer? No. I just want them to sound good.

clearly we all like loud hornlines, provided they aren't being gross, Jordan. Surely you didn't start a thread just to get everyone to agree on something that was common sense.

Compare this thread to the "Which pits have been too loud?" thread, Conner, and you'll understand my purpose in creating this topic.

I don't think I will. No one is sitting here arguing that hornlines are too loud now... no one has ever said that. It's easy to understand that people like loud hornlines, and it's easy to understand that pits over mic sometimes. That's not the point. If a hornline plays loud and sounds good, no one is ever going to be opposed to it. If they overplay an already over mic'd pit, then you're going to have balance issues not only in the entire ensemble, but also in the hornline itself. That's what leads to overplaying. And that's the big issue.

That's common sense.

I don't think I will. No one is sitting here arguing that hornlines are too loud now... no one has ever said that. It's easy to understand that people like loud hornlines, and it's easy to understand that pits over mic sometimes. That's not the point. If a hornline plays loud and sounds good, no one is ever going to be opposed to it. If they overplay an already over mic'd pit, then you're going to have balance issues not only in the entire ensemble, but also in the hornline itself. That's what leads to overplaying. And that's the big issue.

That's common sense.

This thread is satire. That should have been evident to anyone who read the first post. It's a tongue-in-cheek response to the other thread.

1971 Horspath Scouts. My first rehearsal, I was 10, so loud it made me cry. I was hooked.

I can think of some recent corps I've seen live that really really pushed tone quality. No one has won a Jim Ott playing with poor tone quality. It is possible for a hornline to play too loud for themselves.

I can think of some recent corps I've seen live that really really pushed tone quality. No one has won a Jim Ott playing with poor tone quality. It is possible for a hornline to play too loud for themselves.

this.