Which hornlines have been too loud?

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have yet to experience ANY hornline of ANY size overpowering an amped pit. Seems to me that the balance is completely whacked for most corps as the pits are all much louder and overbalanced than they ever were before amplification. At the same time the hornlines are all playing (I suspect due to teaching) with a much more "careful" and "precise" technique.

That scenario doesn't really set the stage for a hornline to be too loud.

An 80 member hornline today doesn't play anywhere near as loud as a 60 member hornline did 20 years ago... except for maybe a handful of impact points that last only a few beats. (But that's not the wall of sound that I'd tend to label as "loud". It's more the brass version of banging the side of a dumpster with a sledgehammer. Good impact, but not really the same kind of musical power at all.)

As long as the pit can just be cranked up, theres no way the brass overpowers them. You could have 100 brass out there and the sound guy would just put it to 11.

Surely I have not observed anything even closely related to this topic.

Now that most corps are fielding close to 80 brass, often with 16 contras, surely in recent years you might have observed some hornlines being just too loud, often overpowering the pit (at only around a dozen players) or the drumline. Which hornlines in recent years do you feel have been just too loud?

surely in recent years you might have observed some hornlines being just too loud, often overpowering the pit

Haha! This HAS to be a joke. In recent years, hornlines have become less loud, and the pit has become more loud.

The loudest hornline I ever heard was 1989 Phantom. Was it too loud? No way!