Drum set players who could hang in drum corps

Gaddabout

This is part of a silly, strictly theoretical debate/discussion that started on a different message board and carried over into a private discussion -- because we're just that geeky. The question was which drum set players could hang on a current DCI snare line. A lot of the posters not familiar with DCI (or maybe just not very respectful) offered up some guys I really doubted had the chops to legitimately carry their own weight -- namely Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy. Sorry, I just don't see those two guys cutting it at the highest level.

The two guys we've all agreed would undoubtedly excel were:

- Vinnie Colaiuta

- Virgil Donati

Both of those guys regularly utilize the same kind of skills that are native to a DCI snare drummer. Some drummers we've debated and not yet concluded:

- Jojo Mayer -- I think Jojo could take an I&E championship right now on an improved solo, but for some reason there are doubters

- Benny Greb -- Undeniable tornado hands, but I wonder if he could play well with others on a line

- Thomas Pridgen -- He has the chops, but I've never heard him playing anything less than triple forte. I think there are some control issues there.

- Steve Gadd -- Great control, but his snare chops are a little outdated

- Billy Cobham -- Well, there's really not much debate about this. He comes from a corps background. I think I'd rather see him on tenors, though. ;)

- Chad Sexton -- There are some in the group who worship this guy, but I don't see him making a Top 12 line. I actually know his instructor -- Larry Lawless -- when he was with the Railmen, and Lawless is a great drum corps guy. I also know he marched Sky Ryders. But I've seen footage of him messing around on a marching snare and it was pretty weak by today's standards. I dunno. Maybe he just needs to get his stuff back up to snuff.

Feel free to jump in here. Drummers who marched the big time corps and went on to pro drum set career are DQ'd. So, sorry, Jeff Queen isn't part of the discussion here. We already know he's a stud. ;)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I forgot to add we DQ'd the North Texas grads as a matter of "no duh," so Gregg Bissonnette and Keith Carlock were already considered and given the seal of approval because of their exposure to a killer college marching program. On the flip side, I think Carlock would drive a caption head crazy with his extreme commitment to Moeller. He'd be a headache trying to get him to stick to a regimented grip and attack.

Edited by Gaddabout

Even though I'm a HUGE Rush fan, and Neil is a god, I agree that I don't think he has what it would take to be in a top 12 snare line. I think he might have the chops for it, but not the technical capabilities. But then again, that would come with practice.

Pat Petrillo.

See, that's cheating. ;)

Another guy I think I've got everyone on board with is Terry Bozzio, but we're not sure if they have drum corps on the planet from which he came.

Edited by Gaddabout

Ok. Here goes:

Carl Palmer

Dave Weckl

Dom Famularo

Mike Mangini

Steve Smith

Vinnie Colaiuta

Virgil Donati

Travis Barker

Carter Beauford

Deen Castronovo

Omar Hakim

Rod Morgenstein

Todd Sucherman

I agree that Neil Peart (my fav) wouldn't be the guy...maybe if the snare line rode bikes!

JoJo - without a doubt!

The only thing about most of these guys is that they would play a lot more "loose".

Probably any of the WFD guys could hang...

Well for openers, Steve Gadd did have a drum corps background (Rochester Crusaders) as did Billy Cobham.

Others I know who have done corps (both big and small) and can really work their way around a kit, professionally, include Jon Bailey ( Selden, Sky and Sun), Bob "Jomba" O'Connor (St Vinnies, Archie and Sky), Danny Raymond Jr (Garfield and Sky), Gary Karpinski ( B'men and Sky), Steve Ventre ( B'men, Bush and Sky) and, of course, Jack Murray ( Oceanside Legionaires and Sky). As I said, these are guys with whom I am familiar; I'm sure there are many more out there across the country.

BTW, you can catch Jack Murray with Sky Alumni Mini Corps in Rochester on his kit or with Sky's quartet in I&E.

Or was this thread supposed to be just about pros who might be able to cut it in corps?

Oh well, just throwing in my 2 cents.

Ray

Or was this thread supposed to be just about pros who might be able to cut it in corps?

Yes, but it's always great to hear of folks who make that transition. It's sometimes a bit harder to make that transition from corps to set because of the radical shift in techniques (and feet!).

Yes, but it's always great to hear of folks who make that transition. It's sometimes a bit harder to make that transition from corps to set because of the radical shift in techniques (and feet!).

For the guys I mentioned, there was no hardship with transition since they were learning/doing both all along.

If you get to DCA I&E show in a couple of weeks, check out Jack in both venues and watch the ease and comfort he displays with both styles. He's an amazing drummer from any standpoint.

Ray