Drum set players who could hang in drum corps

Gaddabout

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barker's rolls are actually pretty good. Flams, not so much.

The premise of the thread's a little funny to me, since the world is filled with 18 year old guys who can learn how to play snare drum in drum corps, but guys like Gadd and Weckl, guys who can make real music at a drum set, are rare. I've done/do both, and in my experience, most pros could learn how to do what drum corps drummers do. Most drum corps drummers, on the other hand, couldn't create art at a set the way the best pros can.

So this is kinda like asking if Picasso could compete with some kids who are really good at painting by numbers. :tongue:

Barker's rolls are actually pretty good. Flams, not so much.

The premise of the thread's a little funny to me, since the world is filled with 18 year old guys who can learn how to play snare drum in drum corps, but guys like Gadd and Weckl, guys who can make real music at a drum set, are rare. I've done/do both, and in my experience, most pros could learn how to do what drum corps drummers do. Most drum corps drummers, on the other hand, couldn't create art at a set the way the best pros can.

So this is kinda like asking if Picasso could compete with some kids who are really good at painting by numbers. :tongue:

It started on a site that worships Colaiuta, Weckl, Gadd, etc. It was a geeky thing to do since the number of us from drum corps circles are small among the larger group.

You are right though: The things most of those drummers though far exceeds mere technique (and my name should give a strong clue as to my reverence)

Tommy Lee. NOT. I only saw a commercial for his show, but it looked like he was mauling some tenors with no techique at all.

Tommy Lee. NOT. I only saw a commercial for his show

I know he marched [and thus presumably learned and performed reasonably well] at least one halftime with U Nebraska's line. Anyone see that part of his TV show? I saw an interview in which he spoke respectfully of their line. I have a couple pixs of him in uniform playing with them, though that, of itself, doesn't indicate how his set style meshed with their style. I can well imagine that coming from a soloist only background into the exacting complexity of a contemporary tenor line must have been a bit jarring for him.

Any YouTubes with Tommy in concert playing something complex on his set besides time-keeping and stick/body visuals?

Any YouTubes with Tommy in concert playing something complex on his set besides time-keeping and stick/body visuals?

Don't know, but you can find interesting vids of Glenn Kotche (Cavaliers '93, Wilco the last few years) doing some really cool things with his set. I like that he can take a university percussion major mindset and open it up to a larger spectrum of styles. He's also got a very pretty trad left hand style for a guy who marched tenors. :tongue:

Tommy Lee marched tenors in high school. Tommy Lee would never cut it in drum corps.

Here's a guy all y'all should check out: Gary Novak. Crazy hands. Also, Dave DiCenso. More crazy hands.

Several years ago there was a great article (Modern Drummer?) about Terry Bozio meeting Rob Carson at a PASIC convention. Funny, but Bozio was saying he was jamming on a pad and Carson introduced himself. He proceeded to show Bozio a few things and it blew his mind. Bozio readily admitted he wasn't up to par on then modern rudiments, and proceeded to practice like crazy to get some rudimental chops. He even wrote a kinda lame paradiddle variation excercise for the article. First and second camp stuff for DCI lines, but "advanced" for the Modern Drummer crowd.

I think the article was from around the late 80s.

I always love the references to Neil Peart playing in corps. I heard him interviewed on Westwood One radio and they asked him about it. He said he had heard the rumors himself but hey weren't true. He also said he was familiar with corps and respected they style...pretty cool.

So....has anyone mentioned Tommy Igoe? Great jazz set guy in New York. He marched tenors with the Bridgemen under DeLucia. Side note on Tommy....Crossmen 1990 played a New Yord Voices show, which Dennis DeLucia coordinated. Mark Thurston was heavily influenced in writing those charts by Tommy's drumming. Tommy came to see the line warm-up before the Clifton show that summer, and it looked like he was really digging that drumline.