Drum set players who could hang in drum corps

Gaddabout

hey guys im gonna chime in on this hard bc its a fun thread... thank you for giving attention to the guys that do this full time....we all appreciate it.....as we know this is all subjective, please dont flame me bc u dont agree with the info ive collected through-out my carreer so far, and this is all based on if calls went out for now for a high end celeb drummer drumline for a rich guys party who would pull their weight for a job:

1. neil peart - watch his videos.. his fingers still dont touch the stix...not my first choice by any means...

2. mike portnoy "EXTREMELY FAST LEARNER"- without a doubt he would be fine... and his hearing is off the charts....

3. vinny colaiuta - im not sure on this by a long a shot

4. virgil donati- of course

5. jojo mayer - watch his secret weapons video.... he talks about rudiments and about THE VIRTUALLY UNPLAYABLE HYBRIDS...outta there guy.. cut.. sorry jojo ur one of my favs but not for this discussion...

6. benny greb - who knows.. maybe :)

7. thomas pridgen - he would be fine.. he plays loud bc that what he gets paid to do.... check out his bio n stuff when u can.. hes the future ....

8. steve gadd - im sure he would be fine, most guys learn new material bc they need to for a job, if he was poor i wold say he could do it.. but hes semi retired from what i heard recently in the arizona area ... this would be up to him if he wanted to learn it, but im sure he could...

9. billy cobham - love ya billy very much!!!!!! but id need to see him playing the chart on vid first.....

10. chad sexton - he would be be fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when u motivate chad the right way hes unstopable.....

11. gregg bissonnette - would be fine and MAPEX MAPEX MAPEX!!!

12. keith carlock - hes an alternate with neil peart.... sorry

13. pat petrillo - CENTER SNARE

14. terry bozzio - great musician but this wouldnt be good for him... he cant do doubles.. ive seen him many times in person im a huge fan

15. carl palmer - nope

16. dave weckle - love ya dave but nope

17. dom famularo - yes yes and yes and yes.. his open mind has let massive amounts of information be absorbed through out his carreer

18. mike mangini - would be fine

19. travis barker - right outside of pat petrillo, no this wasnt a mistake

20. carter beuford - nope

21. deen castronovo - dont know him yet

22. omar hakim - nope hes a groove guy like chad smith.. thats why he gets the big bucks, he shuts up and does his job better then anyone..

23. rod morgenstein - nope

24. todd sucherman - possible, very very possible

25. the wfd guys? guys this is different animal.. so no

26. jon bailey can be the mascot.. love him..

27. jomba gary karpinski steve ventre and jack murray MAPEX MAPEX MAPEX i would need submitted videos

28. carla azar.. can u send me a link to a video?

29. joe morello is blind, i love him but we have an issue with marching and drill and visual blending?

30. tommy lee, not the snare line at all lol.. but him and dom would MC the groups introduction!!!!!!!!! go tommy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

31. glenn kotche..dont know him

32. gary novak is insane.. hes in.. he did high school footband, was NEVER IN band, but had a gift when he started...

33. Dave Dicenso. dont know him yet

34. tommy igoe - of course

35. SHANE ROZUM in... crossmen alum " the real cross men that played notes that died at the end of 96" he opened up for STP.. X-mens greatest drummer ever... he made more money and played for more people then anyone thurston put out..

36. danny raymond of course.. i just didnt know he was a kit player..any links?

u also gotta take into account who has pre-existing injuries....

how many do u want to limit this down to?

oh and why did u confuse jeff queen as a drum set player before? hes a former pro rudimental performer and now a succesful instructor..wrong thead wrong group of guys..

Edited by JohnDonovanDotBiz

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3. vinny colaiuta - im not sure on this by a long a shot

I've seen Vinnie offer up demonstrations on snare that would make him highly qualified for any snare line. I've watched him toss out sextuplets with his left hand at about 118 BPM (against a swing pattern, which was just insane). His flam combos and exchanges are otherworldly (master of the reverse flam!). Trust me, his hands are golden.

5. jojo mayer - watch his secret weapons video.... he talks about rudiments and about THE VIRTUALLY UNPLAYABLE HYBRIDS...outta there guy.. cut.. sorry jojo ur one of my favs but not for this discussion...

9. billy cobham - love ya billy very much!!!!!! but id need to see him playing the chart on vid first.....

I'd love to see these two guys match up with Rob Carson to see who has the best singles. I'm not certain Carson would win. (Ironically, they'd all be matched grip!) Unlike the WFD guys, these three would have smoooooooooth singles. No pulsing, no broken streams.

12. keith carlock - hes an alternate with neil peart.... sorry

There used to be a video of Carlock playing a marching snare solo for one of his exit performances at North Texas. It was every bit as good as what you'd see at I&E. He marched center snare at NTSU and has unbelievable hands (even if he's sold out on Moeller). I'd be comfortable with him on a snare line.

24. todd sucherman - possible, very very possible

Todd is an amazing technician with wonderful hands. I *know* he could play on a line.

Edited by Gaddabout

I was sorely SORELY unimpressed by Thomas Prigden at MDFest last year - and I walked in a huge fan of his. He seemed to be all fast cresc/desc. singles and not much else. Yes, I get it, you can do fast singles... play something else now, please?

I wouldn't add in Neil Peart either, and he's the reason I started saying "Hey... lemme try this drumming thing a bit more serious like". He's a great drumset/rock drummer and composer, but I wouldn't throw him on a line. Although, it's very worthwhile to note that if you watch videos of his drum solos from around the Counterparts tour, which is when he began to really develop solos with the waltz section, you can actually see him progress as a drummer and soloist. Now, whether he could do things back then like he could now, that's only for him to know, but it's very interesting to have seen him develop and grow as a player in every solo.

"There used to be a video of Carlock playing a marching snare solo for one of his exit performances at North Texas. It was every bit as good as what you'd see at I&E. He marched center snare at NTSU and has unbelievable hands (even if he's sold out on Moeller). I'd be comfortable with him on a snare line."

wow!! i would not have known from the 2003 md festival.. i couldnt stand watching him.. ill have to become a fan..

Carter Beauford-absolutely, just read a transcription of his music sometime, you have to memorize the notes in order to play every detail in time.

Thomas Lang-well duh he marched Bridgemen and can play with his feet what most guys wish they could play with their hands.

Akira Jimbo-self taught and has basically redefined the idea of a one-man-band. Technique would be interesting, but his independence and ability to flow cements his ability to make the transition for me.

Thomas Lang was born in Vienna and grew up in Stockerau, a small town in Austria. He lived in London for ten years and moved to Los Angeles in December 2006.

how did he do bridgemen? just curious

Carter Beauford-absolutely, just read a transcription of his music sometime, you have to memorize the notes in order to play every detail in time.

Thomas Lang-well duh he marched Bridgemen and can play with his feet what most guys wish they could play with their hands.

Akira Jimbo-self taught and has basically redefined the idea of a one-man-band. Technique would be interesting, but his independence and ability to flow cements his ability to make the transition for me.

hes a lefty.. u think he could do it righty? of course he could.. :)

he guys.. im new to this forum, but is there a way we can vote or poll for a top 7 snareline from these guys? how about a full drumline?

he guys.. im new to this forum, but is there a way we can vote or poll for a top 7 snareline from these guys? how about a full drumline?

Ha! Now we're getting really silly but I can't stop myself. I'm not even sure what my logic is here. I'm not fans of every drummer on this list ...

SNARES

Vinnie Colaiuta

Virgil Donati

Dave Weckl

Thomas Lang

Jojo Mayer

Keith Carlock

Pat Petrillo

TENORS

Terry Bozzio

Carter Beauford

Gary Novak

Tommy Igoe

BASS

Smitty Smith

Mike Portnoy

Todd Sucherman

Gregg Bissonnette

Neil Peart

PIT

Steve Gadd - Drum set

Akira Jimbo - Timpani

Gary Husband - Marimba

Trilok Gurti - Hand percussion

Stanton Moore - 'Funky' gong bass

Rick Marotta - Slapstick

To the Snareline you can add Chad Sexton of 311. Sky Ryders and Railmen Alumnus as a snare drummer.