A General Decline in Females in the Battery?

I've noticed a general decline in females in the battery in DCI & DCA. Am I off base? Would the cause be more cultural or the excessive weight of kevlar snares vs. mylar? Now I'm a child of the 80s, but I marched with or knew several female snare drummers, knew two female quad players, and saw many others. It was not an uncommon sight then. Are modern drum lines less gender friendly??? So what's the story???

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

I've noticed a general decline in females in the battery in DCI & DCA. Am I off base? Would the cause be more cultural or the excessive weight of kevlar snares vs. mylar? Now I'm a child of the 80s, but I marched with or knew several female snare drummers, knew two female quad players, and saw many others. It was not an uncommon sight then. Are modern drum lines less gender friendly??? So what's the story???

Cadets Center snare just a few years ago had marched in the snareline for a few years.

SCV Center snare just until last year marched several years.

Cadets bassline had a girl up on top not too long ago.

Bluecoats center was a girl from RX just a few years back.

SCV this year in the snareline.

Carolina Crown bassline a few years back and this year in the snareline.

Blue Knights in the snare and bassline.

Academy bassline this year, two girls.

If anything and I could be off here, I've noticed an increase?

Cadets Center snare just a few years ago had marched in the snareline for a few years.

SCV Center snare just until last year marched several years.

Cadets bassline had a girl up on top not too long ago.

Bluecoats center was a girl from RX just a few years back.

SCV this year in the snareline.

Carolina Crown bassline a few years back and this year in the snareline.

Blue Knights in the snare and bassline.

Academy bassline this year, two girls.

If anything and I could be off here, I've noticed an increase?

BD top bass the last couple of years (different girls)

I've seen an increase as well...mostly in snares. Don't remember too many in the tenors or larger basses.

BD top bass the last couple of years (different girls)

I've seen an increase as well...mostly in snares. Don't remember too many in the tenors or larger basses.

Hmmm.... Maybe my perspective is warped since there were soooo many corps-probably over 200 in the 80s. Maybe the proportion is pretty similar nowadays with a lull in the 90s or early 2000s?

Anybody want to guess at DCA trends?

Edited by pearlsnaredrummer77

Citations (Open Class) had two females in their drumline this year. A snare and first bass.

In Japan it is common to see lines with more females than males.

Capital Regiment had a girl on bass this past season. I think battery has just become male-dominant. Lines are usually 95% male, and girls don't want to join because boys are icky

If anything, I've seen an increase over the past 30 years. When I marched, save for the Ventures and Capitol, there were only about 7-10 girls in batteries that I can recall. Now I'm seeing more and more snares (and section leaders) who are female. Most lines have on average 2 girls in the bass line. With the return of Cymbal lines, I'm seeing a strong female presence as well.

I honestly can't recall seeing a femme quad player...... ever.