Drummers weigh in on new hornline instruments

scientific data is measurable and reproducable.

opinion about how things sound is not scientific.

i certainly have my opinions -- and as one of the very few people who won dci division i world championships on BOTH Bb and G horns, i think my opinions are worth something, but i admit that they are not scientific.

Agreed. But taking the human player out of it isn't the correct way. IMHO the best way would be to have a horn line with 2 sets of horns and setup a db meter and different distances from the line and make sure the horns are all pointing the correct direction. That way the same player and the same mouthpieces would be used. You could even have them play the same unisons and triads for a comparison. You could ALSO have a group of people blindfolded and see what THEY thought was louder and compare with the DB meter and see if there is something with the overtone series that makes a difference to the human ear.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is Crown and BD sure made those Bb/F horns sound like a bunch of really in tune G's this year. :tongue:

there was an alumni band formed over here playing on g bugles called high brass. i watched them many times.

one time they opened for wigan youth jazz orchestra and blew the crowd away. the main comments and feeling from the jazz crowd was that the wall of sound created actually moved them. the power was physical. All the jazz fans were raving about the effect of the sound.

high Brass changed to Bb instruments after a few years and the last time i watched them they were blew off the stage by wirebrass, a brass band, who out drum corpsed the drum corps alumni band!

yes, to a trained ear the sound was probably purer and had more quality to it, but I'd sacrifice 5% sound quality for 20% volume anyday.

i watched, heard and felt the change. same players, same venues, same charts but way less volume. in g you could feel your insides moving around, in Bb your insides tried to get out.

not scientific, just my opinion.

Agreed. But taking the human player out of it isn't the correct way. IMHO the best way would be to have a horn line with 2 sets of horns and setup a db meter and different distances from the line and make sure the horns are all pointing the correct direction. That way the same player and the same mouthpieces would be used. You could even have them play the same unisons and triads for a comparison. You could ALSO have a group of people blindfolded and see what THEY thought was louder and compare with the DB meter and see if there is something with the overtone series that makes a difference to the human ear.

yeah but that *still* isn't scientific. frankly, there is no reason to spend the time and money to mechanically test these things. in the end, some people prefer the sound of G horns. i am not one of them.

my anecdotral experience with G horns was that the build quality was inferior to that of similar Bb/F horns, and that G horns are harder to play with any sense of real musical quality. "that bugle sound" isn't worth putting up with the quirkiness of the horns, in my opinion.

that's all.

Now I know I am going to be blasted here by everyone for saying this...but I've been listening to Spirit '80 a lot recently. Sure, the volume is TREMENDOUS...but, I hear so many bad sounds coming from those guys, especially the tuba line. A lot of honking and farting going on out there.

Would you rather have a super loud, honker line with bad tone quality or a line that plays with pure, beautiful sounds and never sounds like a garbage can?

it's back to bashing the Bbs? Really? That's all some of you got? Bbs? Really?

Move on.

1. No scientific study has EVER been conducted proving anything about volume production and instruments. None. I've heard anecdotal information and one guy claims to have a dB meter, but it wasn't scientific. It was not a controlled study.

2. Until such a study is conducted and conclusively shows Gs to be louder when playing the same exact notes (I believe both instruments would need to transpose during this test) I refuse to believe the "I feel the Gs were louder back in my day with my rose colored glasses."

Please come to the argument with facts. Also, aren't most DCA corps playing on Bbs now. Must be because they hate loud music too.

Gs = all but dead. Face it. You lost.

Are you like this in person? If so, I am glad I don't know you.

Edited by atlvalet

Would you rather have a super loud, honker line with bad tone quality or a line that plays with pure, beautiful sounds and never sounds like a garbage can?

I would rather have Star '90, '91, '92 and/or '93 back. Try listening to those shows.

What I remember is being in the Press box and getting it by the blast from G Bugle lines. I could actually feel the sound wave hit me in the chest. That is something I have not experienced since from Bb line. I've been to one DCA show and had a good time and witnessed the 23 piece G Bugle Line of Gulf Coast Sound move some stadium bleachers back a couple yards.

Thanks Kansan. Your comment really made my day.

Now I know I am going to be blasted here by everyone for saying this...but I've been listening to Spirit '80 a lot recently. Sure, the volume is TREMENDOUS...but, I hear so many bad sounds coming from those guys, especially the tuba line. A lot of honking and farting going on out there.

Come on, you are reaching pretty far back for a comparison there aren't ya? Oh, and I've heard my fair share of out of tune, unbalanced, and overplaying hornlines the past nine years.

You'd probably hear that with today's performances if recording quality and technique was still like what it was back then.