Drum Corps who are not finalist still a drum corps

Three things:

1. For us spectators out there, if you think every corps should get more than a pity clap, then make it happen. Sometimes all a crowd needs is someone to get the applause and standing going.

2. When I watch some of the lower tier corps shows, I see a lot of copycatting of what we see attempted by the lower half of top 12 or even some top tier corps doing. That doesn't translate well on the field. I think more corps directors need to stop trying to imitate what they THINK is competitively successful and actually create something exciting for the crowd. (I'm thinking smaller corps and OC corps, specifically) Maybe this is what they are trying to do, but it's not working for me, I guess. And I'm pretty forgiving as an audience member.

3. High school marching band is where I expect pity clapping and compulsory standing O's, especially at competitions. Not drum corps. Audiences will clap for you, but they'll really jump out of their seat if someone on your staff teaches you to come out and be "balls-to-the-wall" within your performance ability.

I will say, though, that it is rough being in a corps that goes on early. Been there. You play to a smaller crowd because tons of people are out at the lot. But you know what? Who cares about the lot people! They're missing out on YOUR great show, and if your instructors will give you a show that gets a crowd really rockin', the lot people will hear the crowd in the stands and wonder what they missed. Then maybe next time they'll make sure to be in their seat when you hit the field!

I really just wish younger corps were given crowd-pleasing vehicles rather than smaller versions of "winning" moves and sounds.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand your pain. I marched in a lower level Div. III corps, so if anything I felt it more keenly.

Every corps can be entertaining, but it strikes me that most lower tier world class corps don't want to be. Year after year designers will churn out overwrought, pseudo-intellectual products designed to please judges instead of crowds, but which usually fail at both. Corps like BD can turn out products that many find boring (note: I am not among these people) but which still get reactions because of the high level at which they are performed. I don't know where you marched, so it's hard to say whether you corps is guilty of this or not, but you should ask yourself whether the audience is at fault, or your designers. I'll admit that there are a few unfortunate souls who simply refuse to let themselves be entertained by a corps outside the top 6 or 7 or 12, but most of these people are out in the lot wetting themselves over warm-ups when you go on.

Southwind should be back this year. That was one lower tier corps that never seemed to fail to entertain and get genuinely enthusiastic ovations, at least from 04-07. Hopefully we'll get more of the same when they come back. So you might consider joining up with them. :blink:

Something I said in my thread similar to this is these days, when I introduce people to drum corps; people who never seen a drum corps show, etc., I show them videos of corps that didn't make finals. When I do this, people are just as fascinated. This would be the way that I introduce people to drum corps from now on lol.

Edited by En929

I agree.

I can't speak for "most people" but I can say that I follow the 10th-down ranked corps a lot more through the season.

It's a more dramatic for me.

As far as vets in the crowd go, I'm guessing a lot never finished in the top 12 and know how hard it is..even harder for members of smaller corps. What I'm saying is that when you are performing, and everyone is just sitting on their hands, a lot of us vets know what you are going through out there. The reason you are not getting standing O's has nothing to do with you or the corps really, it's just the general effect of the show. Some corps just have a bigger following and more core vets too.

I think I can relate a little, during the 90's my rock band toured with KISS and it was not as exciting as it sounds.

Naturally we went on before they did. At first, the audience was great but only because the show was finally starting. By the middle of our set, the blinking of 20k eyes were louder than any applause and we were lucky to end our set before the booing started...usually, it was pretty sucky.

The crowd didn't care who we were of how hard we'd worked to get there. They just wanted Detroit Rock City and barfing blood.

Entertainment is a tough business, from the bottom to the top. When Pioneer or any other corps perform, they are IN THE BUSINESS so don't take it personally...I feel your pain brutha.

2. When I watch some of the lower tier corps shows, I see a lot of copycatting of what we see attempted by the lower half of top 12 or even some top tier corps doing. That doesn't translate well on the field. I think more corps directors need to stop trying to imitate what they THINK is competitively successful and actually create something exciting for the crowd. (I'm thinking smaller corps and OC corps, specifically) Maybe this is what they are trying to do, but it's not working for me, I guess. And I'm pretty forgiving as an audience member.

I really just wish younger corps were given crowd-pleasing vehicles rather than smaller versions of "winning" moves and sounds.

I completely agree with this. I am often left scratching my head at the shows in this block of corps. I think they often attempt books that are just too hard for their members, or show concepts that are too difficult to communicate given their performance level. Almost across the board, I think they'd be better advised to do a simpler, more entertaining show that they can both achieve and sell to the crowd.

I will say, though, that it is rough being in a corps that goes on early. Been there. You play to a smaller crowd because tons of people are out at the lot. But you know what? Who cares about the lot people! They're missing out on YOUR great show, and if your instructors will give you a show that gets a crowd really rockin', the lot people will hear the crowd in the stands and wonder what they missed. Then maybe next time they'll make sure to be in their seat when you hit the field!

I agree. That's exactly my line of thinking!

Edited by En929

When I marched SW, we finished 18th and 21st. We got a standing O almost every time we performed and I always felt like we deserved it. We really went out there every night and gave it up.

I don't give standing O's unless they are truly earned and I think those who expect one for every show regardless of quality or lack thereof are just naive.

This isn't little league tee-ball. Not everyone gets a trophy and an ice cream cone when we're all done. This is a judged activity with winners and losers and the performers know full well going into it that they are performing for cash paying customers who expect to get their moneys worth.

In the real world, you aren't rewarded because you tried really, really hard.

I marched corp and I was amazed how people inrespect the corps who are not finalist, like why people don't do an standing o for every drum corp not just because of the show but also of all the effort sweat we put on the field, and I just want more respect from the fans.

I give every performing corps I see a standing O at the conclusion of their show.....irregardless of their technical ability.

What bothers me the most.....are fans that don't clap at all. I don't care what anyone says....It is rude.....plain and simple. A simple act of acknowledgment is common courtesy......

I understand your pain. I marched in a lower level Div. III corps, so if anything I felt it more keenly.

Every corps can be entertaining, but it strikes me that most lower tier world class corps don't want to be. Year after year designers will churn out overwrought, pseudo-intellectual products designed to please judges instead of crowds, but which usually fail at both. Corps like BD can turn out products that many find boring (note: I am not among these people) but which still get reactions because of the high level at which they are performed. I don't know where you marched, so it's hard to say whether you corps is guilty of this or not, but you should ask yourself whether the audience is at fault, or your designers. I'll admit that there are a few unfortunate souls who simply refuse to let themselves be entertained by a corps outside the top 6 or 7 or 12, but most of these people are out in the lot wetting themselves over warm-ups when you go on.

Southwind should be back this year. That was one lower tier corps that never seemed to fail to entertain and get genuinely enthusiastic ovations, at least from 04-07. Hopefully we'll get more of the same when they come back. So you might consider joining up with them. :blink:

Sorry, I'm already with another world class drum corp, but I'm really happy southwind is coming back.

Yea Im wondering something too why is people go reserved seats for a show and miss almost the whole to see a corp warm up you pay like maybe $25-$50 to watch a warm up!!!!