DCA SOUTH OPINION

DCA SOUTH  

90 members have voted

1. 1. who is the biggest thread in the south?

• Corpsvets
    • Music City Legend
    • Alliance
  2. 2. Who have the best most entertaining show this season?

• Corpsvets
    • Music City Legend
    • Alliance
  3. 3. Is Alliance having the best year for a new Open class Corps?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I voted Alliance, because I think Alliance by far has the best and most upbeat show in DCA South Open Class. Being from an A corps in DCA South I have had the opportunity to see them several times and my opinion is not biased by them being a head to head competitor. Personally, I have nothing against CorpsVets, but when are they gonna play some music that isn't totally BORING!!!! Music City Legend also is digging too deep in the graveyard of music that has been heard over and over and over through the years in drum corps. This is a post about opinions and I'm entitled to one without considered being an a-hole.

Being in the Sun Devils, I have been priveleged to play some of the most interesting music I've ever performed. I don't say that just because I play for them. It is the music that has kept me there when I didn't want to spend another day in the sweltering heat, because I kept telling myself.....:I really want to play this"

We have a great show. How far w take it is up to us.

Anyway, best of luck to everybody.

Personally, I have nothing against CorpsVets, but when are they gonna play some music that isn't totally BORING!!!! Music City Legend also is digging too deep in the graveyard of music that has been heard over and over and over through the years in drum corps. This is a post about opinions and I'm entitled to one without considered being an a-hole.

Wow!CV Boring?Nope.

MCL graveyard music?

Clowns is one of my all time favorite tunes and MCL has a unique spin on it that is very pleasing to the ear.

I think what your saying is that you prefer shows that speak to the intellect as opposed to shows that speak to the heart.If so then I fully understand why you prefer Alliances show.They do a good job at what they do.

Best of luck to you and the Sun Devils in Rochester.DCAS will be routing for you guys.

I am an alumni of MCL and support them in everything they do. Now with that being said, Alliance (Wow)...closet thing to DCI that I have seen in DCA this year. I REALLY like their show and think they should have won Music City Metal this year. It just didn't make sense to a lot of people how they took 3rd.

Best of luck to all three corps. Here's hoping that MCL and Alliance make Finals! :tongue:

For some reason, my post posted twice....oops. :tongue:

Edited by bdjazz93

Opinions.....I love em. Either you get to hide behind a username/id (like me) or let it all hang out like tymps. We can do PC reviews or tell it like it is I guess. I lean more towards honest stuff even though it may hurt somebodies feelings. We could just say Corps A was good, Corps B was great, and Corps C was off the charts. (never say anything negative ...)

My opinion having seen both South shows is still the same. CV has a safe show with little room for improvement. MCL is very entertaining and I also like the "Clowns" rendition. Alliance has the most exciting show with a smoking clean drumline and some more room for improvement/technique. maybe Alliance needs soloists? I don't know if that is a DCA requirement. (seems to be). I was surprised to see Alliance with a much larger brass section this year. also is anyone talking about Class A corps at all? not a factor?

I'm having a hard time figuring out why south scores are low and north scores are off the charts. If we had 2 more weeks

the north could hit 105 and the south may get above 85. I know its only relative until all corps are on the same field but it can either be depressing for a south corps or give false hopes to a north corps.

Note: I don't know what the first poll "thread" is about - if someone can explain

I'm having a hard time figuring out why south scores are low and north scores are off the charts. If we had 2 more weeks

the north could hit 105 and the south may get above 85. I know its only relative until all corps are on the same field but it can either be depressing for a south corps or give false hopes to a north corps.

Show dynamics.

Wherever they decide to place the first corps, the rest of the show is judged relative to that.

Either all three South Open class corps are 6-7 points behind Bush and Brigs, or the first corps on is being scored significantly lower compared to the other regions.

Which is true is anybody's guess until all the corps can be judged head to head.

Show dynamics.

Wherever they decide to place the first corps, the rest of the show is judged relative to that.

Either all three South Open class corps are 6-7 points behind Bush and Brigs, or the first corps on is being scored significantly lower compared to the other regions.

Which is true is anybody's guess until all the corps can be judged head to head.

I hear ya.

Does anyone have a ranking list from last year 2008 and prelim comparison?

The south corps do seem to be at a disadvantage come prelims with seeding.

Wow!CV Boring?Nope.

MCL graveyard music?

Clowns is one of my all time favorite tunes and MCL has a unique spin on it that is very pleasing to the ear.

I think what your saying is that you prefer shows that speak to the intellect as opposed to shows that speak to the heart.If so then I fully understand why you prefer Alliances show.They do a good job at what they do.

Best of luck to you and the Sun Devils in Rochester.DCAS will be routing for you guys.

I would not say that CV has a boring show this year. I think they had a good show, though I have to disagree about the Alliance comment. Yes, they have a show that is a little more to think about, but I think they connected emotionally with the crowd very well on Saturday (as seen by the standing ovation). There was applause throughout their show - and I'm not just talking about at the end of pieces (considering they never stop). So, yes, they have a very different show, but I think it "speaks to the heart" just fine. Though, I will admit that it is not for everyone.

I hear ya.

Does anyone have a ranking list from last year 2008 and prelim comparison?

The south corps do seem to be at a disadvantage come prelims with seeding.

Yeah, it is interesting that CV could be beating the Brigs and Bush early in the season (maybe they just came out really clean), and now they are getting 7 pointed by a group that they originally beat by 5... not sure if that makes a lot of sense. I agree about the comment that the spreads are based off the first corps out. Nothing personal against them, but when you are Open Class corps going on after last year's 22nd place group, it seems like over kill if you beat them by 30 points (though 27 isn't much better).

We shall see. Hopefully the judges get it right on Prelims, otherwise, there may be a VERY good group sitting out of Finals. Personally, I thought MCL could have made finals last year. This year they are better... and so are the other southern groups. So where do they belong?

Side note - this is why it is important for southern corps to travel north, or find a way to make shows more appealing to northern corps to travel. They need those direct comparisons.