Last night's show was amazing and although I cannot and will not write a review, I love Statesmen's show!

Amazing Grace followed by the Pledge of Allegiance got it's point across to me-Proud to be an American and mindful of the sacrifices of those before us, now, and after us are making so that we can enjoy this wonderful freedom.

Just my humble flag-waving opinion.

On to Norwalk-they rocked! Mr. Smith should be very proud of his "kids" and what he has done for music. When I saw the heralding trumpets entering the field, I thought "He's doing it again." He is innovative and modern and really gets his "kids" to perform.

Kudos to them for coming out a few weeks early and showing us what we can expect at all of the MAC shows that I plan to see this Fall! Thanks, Norwalk High School Marching Bears Band for another great performance at Fanfare.

Everything else-I agree with the reviewer-tremendous night for Drum Corps and the winner was: the audience!!

Thank you to all of the Corps and Band for a wonderful evening where even the weather co-operated! Trumbull-sorry you couldn't make it.

By the way, Hurricane Cadets Colorguard-you rocked!

Edited by stormiehurc

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, Fran, I have to disagree. Not one mention of the Norwalk High School Marching Band. Those kids work just as hard as anyone and this was an early performance for them as their season is just getting started. I would add commentary, but I only saw them from backfield.

Norwalk was spectacular (for August) last night. (disclaimer: another alma mater - love them forever - none of these kids were born when I started teaching there - most were pretty little when I left). Having the degree of polish that these kids had nearly a month before the first show is both extraordinary (for a high school band) and expected (for Norwalk's HS band).

Worthy of note is that director Jeff Smith, who has also done stints with Hawthorne and Hurcs, will retire this year after a legendary career. He's an amazing musician, an incredibly gifted teacher, a relentless advocate for his students, many of whom have gone on to careers in music, and all of whom have profited from his tutelage. His sons are also incredible players, with at least one gold medal with Cadets. Most important, he's a good man and a good friend to the people he's collected as disciples over the years. Filling his shoes will be a daunting task for some young teacher, like following Bear Bryant or Vince Lombardi, or perhaps more appropriate, Seiji Ozawa or Leonard Bernstein. Over a 30 year teaching career, Jeff Smith's Opus would make Mr. Holland (from the goofy movie) look like a dilettante.

And judging from what we saw of the Norwalk Marching Bears last night - he's going out on his terms - at the top of his game.

Thanks for the kind words about the Bridgemen!

Sorry, Fran, I have to disagree. Not one mention of the Norwalk High School Marching Band. Those kids work just as hard as anyone and this was an early performance for them as their season is just getting started. I would add commentary, but I only saw them from backfield.

Oops... didn't know they were in the show. You're right, it would have been nice for them to get a mention.

So it was an almost excellent review. :thumbup:

Fran

The crowd in Bridgeport got treated to a great show with no rain. Also, let me remind you I am a Hurricane alum, '04-'07.

The former DCA Soloist of the year and recording artist Ritchee Price played a great National Anthem to open the show.

Very jazzy and well done.

P.A.L. Buccaneers Jr. D&B Corps - These kids, about 17 all together, played a standstill called "Songs of Sailor and Sea",

including a medly of Anchors Away, Portsmith and Under The Sea, One Eyed Sailor and Russian Sailors Dance. The audience was very appreciative of their efforts and gave them a standing O. :thumbup:

Bridgemen Alumni Corps - "Yes, we have some bananas!" was how the MC introduced this step back to the days I loved as a kid and still do. DM Jimmy Jordan was energized and electric as they moved through Pagliacci, which featured a great soprano solo. I'm guessing they're playing G bugles here. Big Noise From Winnetka, Hymn To The Last Whale, Sambe De Renee, Spanish Dreams were followed by an enthusiastic standing O from the savvy as always Bridgeport fans. JJ asked the crowd if they wanted to hear one more? And, you already know the answer.

Goosebumps and hair-raising was the norm as The William Tell Overture blasted the stands. At this point I was ready to go home. Except, I came to see a competion. Great job Bridgemen! :thumbup:

Brigadiers - This Central Ny corps has really come a long way since I saw them in the same stadium during the Barnum Festival's Parade of Champions. Their 31 brass members played as an ensemble and I was impressed with the volumn level

when called upon. I'm a horn guy so I don't even try to talk percussion. I felt they blended well as an overall ensemble and visually they were entertaining. My only knock is on the use of props. Four big canvases of colors just don't do it for me. I

know their show is "Pictures......", but that's how I feel. I had them 4th.

Bushwackers - Again, as above, this is the first time since Bridgeport that I've seen Bush. Originally, I thought Oh my god, what was that? Man, was I pleasantly surprised. Right from the start, entering the field, they're performimg. They may have revoutionized the "flying start". Psycotic is a more than an appropriate word, in a good way, to describe this crazy, dark ride. Their 29 horns really impressed me with their contolled volumn and tone. Their guard, as usual, was amazing and their drums meshed well. Visually, they marched and played well, at the same time, might I add. You all know what I mean.

Overall I loved their show and was happy to see how wrong I was about their chances of recovering after the Barnum show.

I had them 3rd.

Empire Statesmen - DM David Bruni brought his usual "Statemen's style" to the podium and his corps responded. Let me just say that I am a veteran and am active in my local American Legion Post. I appreciate the attempt at being patriotic, and the music did that for me, and quite well. However, I don't need the "Pledge of Allegience" recited. This was the only part of their performance I didn't appreciate. I Loved the Sing, Sang, Sung/Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy segment.

Their percussion added to the total ensemble as did the color guard. The hornline of 51, if I counted right, really brought it tonight. I had them 2nd.

Hurricanes - I was fortunate enough to see their run-through. And then I got nervous. When I performed it seemed we always left our best performance on the practice field. This is a new Huricanes, and their performance tonight proved that.

Other than one cover issue in a fast moving block from left to right, their visual performance was awesome. Musically, their 49 horns blended as an ensemble and they marched and played well. No park and barks allowed. The young drum line stood out, in my opnion, when all the others hadn't. Their guard just seems to keep getting better. I loved their pass throughs with the horn line and their sabre/rifle work was superb. I had them 1st.

Connecticut Alumni - Good old-time D&B. They were greeted enthusiastically and they responded with a strong performance that of course ended with the drum corps anthem Hang'em High/Magnificent 7. Great job by all of my fellow alumni. :tongue:

Park City Pride - Once again this popular corps delivered. Their signatute I'll Be Seeing You was followed by a visual and musical salute to the men and women serving in our armed forces, featuring the color guard. As usual "Pride", well done. :worthy:

Well, that's it. I'm really looking forward to Rochester and it just might be the best finals ever. regardless of who wins it all.

See you there!

I'd would also like to thank you for your nice review on the Bridgemen . Reviews like yours are why myself and the rest of the Bridgemen continue to work hard to entertain yourself, and rest of the drumcorps audiences every time we go out and perform , whether it be a field exhibition or a parade. Thank You again. Phillysoprano

My sincerest apopologies to Norwalk HS Marching Band. My daughter was Guard Captain in 2001-2002 and my son was a trumpet in 2002, then Tuba from 2002 - 2005. I personally was the announer for 10 years for Norwalk's Cavalcade of Bands. I was so focused on the D&B aspect of this show I totally left out Norwalk's performance. They finished their 2 week band camp Friday night and preformed an entire show on Saturday. They were amazing and should be commended for their performance.

Hopefully, Mr. Smith will accept my faux pas

and I will still stand in his good graces as well as those of the NHS Band members.

My sincerest apopologies to Norwalk HS Marching Band. My daughter was Guard Captain in 2001-2002 and my son was a trumpet in 2002, then Tuba from 2002 - 2005. I personally was the announer for 10 years for Norwalk's Cavalcade of Bands. I was so focused on the D&B aspect of this show I totally left out Norwalk's performance. They finished their 2 week band camp Friday night and preformed an entire show on Saturday. They were amazing and should be commended for their performance.

Hopefully, Mr. Smith will accept my faux pas

and I will still stand in his good graces as well as those of the NHS Band members.

Sormie Hurc and Ray,

You are "right on" with your assessments of Jeff Smith's and the NHS Marching Band's past accomplishments as well as this year's future. I was knocked out by the herald trumpets and everything that followed. I don't think I've ever seen them this poised and ready to repeat as MAC Champions. :thumbup: BTW, you know this show will not look the same come November. You can put your house on it. Heck, put my house on it! Oops, I don't own a house. Either way my money is on Norwalk. As an aside, Ray, I didn't know you worked with NHS. I knew Dougie, Bernie, Tim, Phil, Vinny C. and Rich M. worked with them and I'm sure I'm missing a few more. I'm certain you were a great role model. :thumbup:

Sormie Hurc and Ray,

You are "right on" with your assessments of Jeff Smith's and the NHS Marching Band's past accomplishments as well as this year's future. I was knocked out by the herald trumpets and everything that followed. I don't think I've ever seen them this poised and ready to repeat as MAC Champions. :thumbup: BTW, you know this show will not look the same come November. You can put your house on it. Heck, put my house on it! Oops, I don't own a house. Either way my money is on Norwalk. As an aside, Ray, I didn't know you worked with NHS. I knew Dougie, Bernie, Tim, Phil, Vinny C. and Rich M. worked with them and I'm sure I'm missing a few more. I'm certain you were a great role model. :thumbup:

91 - 97 including arranging the "Miss Saigon" show in '92. Not certain about the role model part, although Jeff is right up there on my heros list.

Of other Hurc folks you missed George Mahoney, Stacey Ericssen (Reilly) and Dave Dion - Dave as a major player for lots of years.

The crowd in Bridgeport got treated to a great show with no rain. Also, let me remind you I am a Hurricane alum, '04-'07.

The former DCA Soloist of the year and recording artist Ritchee Price played a great National Anthem to open the show.

Very jazzy and well done.

P.A.L. Buccaneers Jr. D&B Corps - These kids, about 17 all together, played a standstill called "Songs of Sailor and Sea",

including a medly of Anchors Away, Portsmith and Under The Sea, One Eyed Sailor and Russian Sailors Dance. The audience was very appreciative of their efforts and gave them a standing O. :thumbup:

Bridgemen Alumni Corps - "Yes, we have some bananas!" was how the MC introduced this step back to the days I loved as a kid and still do. DM Jimmy Jordan was energized and electric as they moved through Pagliacci, which featured a great soprano solo. I'm guessing they're playing G bugles here. Big Noise From Winnetka, Hymn To The Last Whale, Sambe De Renee, Spanish Dreams were followed by an enthusiastic standing O from the savvy as always Bridgeport fans. JJ asked the crowd if they wanted to hear one more? And, you already know the answer.

Goosebumps and hair-raising was the norm as The William Tell Overture blasted the stands. At this point I was ready to go home. Except, I came to see a competion. Great job Bridgemen! :thumbup:

Brigadiers - This Central Ny corps has really come a long way since I saw them in the same stadium during the Barnum Festival's Parade of Champions. Their 31 brass members played as an ensemble and I was impressed with the volumn level

when called upon. I'm a horn guy so I don't even try to talk percussion. I felt they blended well as an overall ensemble and visually they were entertaining. My only knock is on the use of props. Four big canvases of colors just don't do it for me. I

know their show is "Pictures......", but that's how I feel. I had them 4th.

Bushwackers - Again, as above, this is the first time since Bridgeport that I've seen Bush. Originally, I thought Oh my god, what was that? Man, was I pleasantly surprised. Right from the start, entering the field, they're performimg. They may have revoutionized the "flying start". Psycotic is a more than an appropriate word, in a good way, to describe this crazy, dark ride. Their 29 horns really impressed me with their contolled volumn and tone. Their guard, as usual, was amazing and their drums meshed well. Visually, they marched and played well, at the same time, might I add. You all know what I mean.

Overall I loved their show and was happy to see how wrong I was about their chances of recovering after the Barnum show.

I had them 3rd.

Empire Statesmen - DM David Bruni brought his usual "Statemen's style" to the podium and his corps responded. Let me just say that I am a veteran and am active in my local American Legion Post. I appreciate the attempt at being patriotic, and the music did that for me, and quite well. However, I don't need the "Pledge of Allegience" recited. This was the only part of their performance I didn't appreciate. I Loved the Sing, Sang, Sung/Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy segment.

Their percussion added to the total ensemble as did the color guard. The hornline of 51, if I counted right, really brought it tonight. I had them 2nd.

Hurricanes - I was fortunate enough to see their run-through. And then I got nervous. When I performed it seemed we always left our best performance on the practice field. This is a new Huricanes, and their performance tonight proved that.

Other than one cover issue in a fast moving block from left to right, their visual performance was awesome. Musically, their 49 horns blended as an ensemble and they marched and played well. No park and barks allowed. The young drum line stood out, in my opnion, when all the others hadn't. Their guard just seems to keep getting better. I loved their pass throughs with the horn line and their sabre/rifle work was superb. I had them 1st.

Connecticut Alumni - Good old-time D&B. They were greeted enthusiastically and they responded with a strong performance that of course ended with the drum corps anthem Hang'em High/Magnificent 7. Great job by all of my fellow alumni. :tongue:

Park City Pride - Once again this popular corps delivered. Their signatute I'll Be Seeing You was followed by a visual and musical salute to the men and women serving in our armed forces, featuring the color guard. As usual "Pride", well done. :worthy:

Well, that's it. I'm really looking forward to Rochester and it just might be the best finals ever. regardless of who wins it all.

See you there!

"Bushwackers - Again, as above, this is the first time since Bridgeport that I've seen Bush. Originally, I thought Oh my god, what was that? Man, was I pleasantly surprised. Right from the start, entering the field, they're performimg. They may have revoutionized the "flying start". Psycotic is a more than an appropriate word, in a good way, to describe this crazy, dark ride. Their 29 horns really impressed me with their contolled volumn and tone. Their guard, as usual, was amazing and their drums meshed well. Visually, they marched and played well, at the same time, might I add. You all know what I mean.

I had them 3rd."

You should have seen the concert they put on in the parking lot after the show. What an awsome treat :worthy:

Man these guys can play. I had them in 3rd as well :worthy:

Would llke to see the BRIDGEMEN compete finally.

they are a drum corps I think.

why not compete ?

Yes, they are an alumni corps but with drill ?

just compete if you want a part time schedule then do it. but compete at the shows your at.

and PLEASE don't play for more than 10 min.

Edited by louielouie