Odd things in judging the last decade

not always agreeing with the judges.... not always liking what the outcome is.... but: I wasn't there. How can I say there wasn't more GE generated from BD's show.... I wasn't there. Were you? Before you answer that, consider if you were in the box, on the field, stack of sheets in front of you..... how many times did you see the show's in question? Who is your favorite corps? ......

So...you are saying... that DCP... isn't a place... for wild, unfounded speculation, criticism, and negativity?

I thought that was the only reason DCP existed!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not always agreeing with the judges.... not always liking what the outcome is.... but: I wasn't there. How can I say there wasn't more GE generated from BD's show.... I wasn't there. Were you? Before you answer that, consider if you were in the box, on the field, stack of sheets in front of you..... how many times did you see the show's in question? Who is your favorite corps? ......

Judges dont have a favorite corps? :tongue:

Judges dont have a favorite corps? :tongue:

Let's suppose for a minute that you are not a judge. Just spittballing here, but I think that I would be, if not in the position of judgement, a little biased towards Spirit. I marched with Spirit and I probably will always put them ahead of where they are simply for reasons of personal connection. Or, let's suppose I'm from the west coast. I might favor Dev's or SCV..... maybe. If I was from New Jersey, I might see a connection to HNC.... I guess you get this part.

Now, suppose that I had a really good bud' from a staff and I happened to judge that team on a given night..... and they just didn't measure up. As a fan, I can rant and rave all I want... that is what a fanatic about a certain group does. That's called support. As a judge, I have a responsibility to the criteria. In a group of teams that I adjudicated in the past, I've observed similar situations. Not all judges are honest. I've seen them reward their favorites over rewarding the team that accomplishes more and earns more credit based on the criteria. Not right..... but it happens. I think there are enough judges in the big picture that one judge on one night isn't going to, usually mind you.... I know it has happened, but..... change the entire outlook of the season, especially when many, many judges contributed to the outcome by their night after night rendering of decisions that put corps in the neighborhoods they are in.

I think you've got to move beyond the "blame all issues in the universe" on the judges mindset. Not healthy.

So...you are saying... that DCP... isn't a place... for wild, unfounded speculation, criticism, and negativity?

I thought that was the only reason DCP existed!

Yeah.... you're right. Can't be too serious on the old DCP now can we. :tongue:

BD 09 scoring a 99.05. It was clean, sure. But the GE points made no sense, and it was nowhere near the level of lower scoring shows such as 2008 Phantom Regiment, or the Legendary 1989 SCV.

it's funny... a lot of the things people said were judging blunders on this thread, I agree with the judges... uh oh.... especially the two mentioned things from 06... (and I'm a crown fan over BK) Just sayin...

If this topic gets going I might have a few minor judging mishaps to bring up...

Judges are purely human and in so being are "capable" of making errors in said judgement. Scores aren't usually the biggest argument as much as placement. I know I backseat judge every show I go to, and quite a few times I and the judges score a show EXACTLY the same. I have had shows where my score was three perfect out of five corps. First score and last are always my achilles, but they are just doing a job. You can't compare 09Devils with 89 Phantom and excetera. The score they got seems high, but so was everyone elses. So it really wasn't out of the question. Its one years score for one moment in time. Its time we except the human factor in judging and its time for the judges to accept that also. I am almost completely for no more finals night, just have three straight nights of shows with the average scores of those three making the final score and placements. Better for EVERYONE involved and more shows for EVERYONE. Win WIN....

it's funny... a lot of the things people said were judging blunders on this thread, I agree with the judges... uh oh.... especially the two mentioned things from 06... (and I'm a crown fan over BK) Just sayin...

If this topic gets going I might have a few minor judging mishaps to bring up...

This whole thread is proof of only one thought process:

"The judges/DCI are stupid and the system is messed up unless MY corps wins. Then the judges are brilliant, the system is perfect and all is well".

lol.

Like i said, DCP should put that on a T-shirt

As has been pointed out so often on here, "it's not the score stupid, it's the spread!"

The real discussion should be about the distance (that the entire judging community in DCI saw) all season between BD and the next group. In fact, getting within "one full point difference" was noteworthy:

Dallas 1.0 spread (BD-HNC) - not head to head

Houston 1.4 spread (BD-Cavies) - not head to head

SA 1.65 spread (BD-Cavies)

Atlanta 1.8 spread (BD-Cavies)

Allentown .5 spread (BD-Crown) - not head to head

Quarters 1.85 spread (BD-Crown)

Semis .85 spread (BD-Crown)

Finals 1.55 spread (BD-Crown)

Except for Semis (which BD has said was not a great run) all head to heads resulted in a 1.55 spread or better. This consistency does not speak to oddness, but to the fact that the DCI judging community, as a whole, saw the same thing all summer long from BD.