A Huge Announcement from the Renegades and Empire Statesmen

I think the excitement is about a Corps coming out to Ca. The Renegades have no clue how they stack up to the rest of the Country until prelims. This will be a very fun trip for Empire, I know it's a great time for the Renegades every time they go East. You are correct, no Corps should do this if it will put them in financial trouble but if they can swing it, what a great time they will have.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Careful on being a realist around these parts or you'll end up being called a Buzz McKillit....

Sorry if that really hurt your feelings dear, I'll watch my tongue...

You know instead of indirectly talking about someone you could just write back to my post.

I posted being excited and saying LET'S PUSH THIS and you insulted my intelligence by pretty much implying I know nothing of the financial burden that would be placed on the corps.

Maybe I'm just too much of a realist. Aside from the fact that it will be cool to see the Renegades out East in July and it should be a fun trip to California for Empire, what is all the excitement about with this announcement?

Do people think that all of the DCA corps are going to start laying out $30,000 - $40,000 dollars to start flying across the US to do DCA shows for $3000 - $4000 prize money? (My guess on the cost to get over 120 people and their equipment across the country is probably LOW.) That would spell the financial end of any of the current DCA corps.

I know that most of the financial burden will be placed on the members of the corps (as it always is), so you may say that the corps itself won't have to foot that bill. However, I bet most of the corps at DCA Prelims this year had members that couldn't (or wouldn't) even pay the dues they owed WITHOUT a trip across the country tacked onto the price tag.

Wouldn't it be better to strengthen the corps in their "regional" endeavors? Maybe do as the Brigs did this year and sponsor more shows around their region and hopefully generate new fans of DCA? Help a regional Class A corps by performing at their home show for free or a greatly reduced fee.

If these two corps want to do this and feel it is beneficial to their organizations, then more power to them. But to think this will become the way that all DCA corps operate is ludicrous.

no one is saying we must make all corps look at this. but you raise some good points.

at this stage, i say we celebrate what is going to happen and hope it can lead to more.

one last thing...any corps allowing people to march that do not meet their financial obligations or have a plan in place to meet those obligations is going to end up the way the Westshoremen did.

dead.

one last thing...any corps allowing people to march that do not meet their financial obligations or have a plan in place to meet those obligations is going to end up the way the Westshoremen did.

dead.

Very good point, that is something I see that divides upper tier corps and middle of the pack corps, finiancial responsibility.

But then on the other hand, it's hard to convince some people that it is worth the money to march the middle of the pack corps if you are really going to be stringent on dues.

Double edged sword

I think the excitement is about a Corps coming out to Ca. The Renegades have no clue how they stack up to the rest of the Country until prelims. This will be a very fun trip for Empire, I know it's a great time for the Renegades every time they go East. You are correct, no Corps should do this if it will put them in financial trouble but if they can swing it, what a great time they will have.

You are absolutely right. This should not be interpretted as pressure for other organizations to do this...

But any marching members who have completed their committment to their current corps and are intetested in being involved in this historic event in 2010 can contact Empire or the Renegades to inquire about membership for next year.

You are absolutely right. This should not be interpretted as pressure for other organizations to do this...

But any marching members who have completed their committment to their current corps and are intetested in being involved in this historic event in 2010 can contact Empire or the Renegades to inquire about membership for next year.

Which is no different than any other year. (What I mean is that these travel plans are not a gimmick to get members.)

Maybe I'm just too much of a realist. Aside from the fact that it will be cool to see the Renegades out East in July and it should be a fun trip to California for Empire, what is all the excitement about with this announcement?

The fact that we have not seen a Sr corps in CA outside of 'Gades, SCD, Kmen, RCR, and Northwest Venture in the memory of tjhe vast amount of corps fans out here...where the east has seen at least 'Gades every year in some form since 02.

Do people think that all of the DCA corps are going to start laying out $30,000 - $40,000 dollars to start flying across the US to do DCA shows for $3000 - $4000 prize money? (My guess on the cost to get over 120 people and their equipment across the country is probably LOW.) That would spell the financial end of any of the current DCA corps.

Like 'Gades have done for the full corps since 03, you mean? Or SCD in 04 and 06?? (financial considerations being why they didn't go out in 05 and 07, btw).

Sounds like the same thing BD and SCV have been doing for decades....and the same argument for any corps coming out west for a single year (let alone finals in 07)

If these two corps want to do this and feel it is beneficial to their organizations, then more power to them. But to think this will become the way that all DCA corps operate is ludicrous.

Anyone saying all of DCA should head west is just doing wishful thinking....nothing else.

My question is. Why are the Reading Buccaneers not doing this also? (Going to Calif.)

Lets face it they have been #1 for 5 YEARS. They must have been making money. I understand that the pay for each show they are in depends on many things. BUT being the # 1 Group for 5 YEARS. One would think they must be a bit more demanding in what they get.

The World Championships have been in Rochester for many years now. Not a real Bank buster for Reading.

Edited by OldStyleCorps

Reading is a well managed corps, but DCA's system does NOT normailly over reward score success. Like any other DCA corps they are thrilled to break even financially in any weekend. Further, the check they receive for share points will be one of the smaller ones. It is tied strictly to the number of sanctioned shows you participate in - score or placement means nothing. Due to fiscal responsibility, that number is not huge for them this year. Hopefully with a changing economy, this will change in 2010.

Empire is also a well managed corps ... they would not attempt anything they could not afford... The details of trip costs etc. are no ones business but their own, but again, they would not do anything that would be a hardship on the members or put the corps in any kind of fiscal jeopardy.

My question is. Why are the Reading Buccaneers not doing this also? (Going to Calif.)

Maybe they weren't asked?

Maybe they haven't made as much money as you think they have made from show fees?

Therefore.... maybe they have decided that such a trip would not be in the best interests of their corps, in terms of the corps' financial situation?

I don't know the answers, but.....

IMO, in the past five years the Bucs have made zero incorrect decisions. I would trust they know their organization's situation well enough to make a correct decision in this case.

Fran