A little advice?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it also helps to play the horn while you hold it up. Might seem obvious, but i see so many (ok, a few) baritone players trying out for corps practice, and they sit down and point their marching baritones at the ground while they play like theyre a trumpet in an orchestra. Take every chance you get to have the proper posture, even if it sucks. Sit down if you must, but actually hold the horn right. I tell kids in bands all the time, it doesnt really hurt any more to hold it right then it does to hold it wrong. Until your body starts involuntarily shaking, you havent held it up long enough...

If you think holding up a baritone is hard try marching trumpet. It's all about the weight distribution!

Yeah....and mellophones are really bell-heavy. Its just awful....gawd awful....

Yeah....and mellophones are really bell-heavy. Its just awful....gawd awful....

I've actually marched trumpet and mello as well (didn't like it half as much as bari, but that's just me :) ). I mean, they are bell heavy, which is annoying, but lighter so easier, IMO.

I've actually marched trumpet and mello as well (didn't like it half as much as bari, but that's just me :) ). I mean, they are bell heavy, which is annoying, but lighter so easier, IMO.

I know...i played bari. Im just making fun of the complaints we always heard from the mellos.

I know...i played bari. Im just making fun of the complaints we always heard from the mellos.

Haha yeah, my sister played mello and she would always complain. I would just hand her my baritone be like "try this"

Whoever told you pushups help you hold up your horn lied.

Maybe- but they help get you ready for the thousands of 'shups you'll have to do when other people screw up :devil: