A little advice?

***i have not read the entire thread***

Holding your horn is just like any other specialized physical activity. You must combine targeted strength training with practice of actually doing what ever specific task it is; in this case, holding your horn up without looking like a wimp.

People who say doing push-ups/strength exercises "do not work" usually are not combining that with actually holding your horn... and people who say spending time holding your horn "does not work" usually are not combining that with doing exercises.

Think of a baseball player who spends hours building his body strength to be able to swing a bat fast. If that ball player spends all of his time in the gym and never actually swings a bat, hell probably turn out with O.K. bat speed, and really poor technique. On the other hand, if that same player spends all of his time swinging the bat, but not building his strength, he will not be strong enough to keep up with his competition. Im sure you get my point by now.

I suggest the following:

Strengthening:

A variety of push-ups, notably wide-arm, diamond, and normal. And a variety of calisthenics to increase abdominal and back strength (which all go into holding your horn with relaxation).... Squat Thrusts work great for this.

Technique:

First you need to have a visual image and goal of what you want to look like while holding your horn. Find pictures or videos of the corps you want to audition and try imitating their respective postures and arm/hand placements. The most important thing here is that you maintain relaxation and correct posture. Have a friend or staff member who is local to you give you some in-person feed back on your posture. Once you figure this out, hold your horn. Hold your horn more....

Others on here have given some great approaches in terms of strengthening and technique, you should consider them because most people on here are talking from experience. When I was starting off on baritone in drum corp and was having difficulties maintaining proper posture I tried to remember this critical point: the brain can only allow specific focus on one(1) thing at a time. After that, muscle memory kicks in. So, if you focus on making beautiful music out of that bell, I promise the pain of the horn will disappear.

Edited by shaners

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an athletic/physical trainer and a vet of Drum corps, I would agree with those that said swimming. As well as holding your horn the right way (flat back, horn at least parallel, shoulders low, elbows even, etc.) while playing or listening to music. If you could find a mirror or reflaction in a window while doing this, that always helps. Also being that your back and shoulder blades, as well as a little bit of the shoulder itself, will be doing most of the work try getting a wieght near the baris wieght and extend your arms straight. Then in a CONTROLED MOTION move your straight arms from flat in front of you to straight and down towards the ground then back up. AND/OR you could just hold that weight in front of you. Overtraining helps wonders.

Any questions just ask!

This is a good post. It includes swimming (lane, synchro, aquasize), relax the shoulders (massage is good too) and look at your posture in a mirror, "move your straight arms from flat in front of you to straight and down towards the ground then back up", straight for many minutes and slowly down for at least 30 seconds, count out loud 1,000 1 1,000 2 1,000 3 1,000 4...1,000 30; then pick up your horn and it might feel light :)

If you do the right kind of push-ups, they will help holding the horn. Horn holding muscles are primarily your proximal deltoids and trapeziums/lats. There are push-ups that work those specific muscle groups, and they DO help. I would always do 10 push-ups right before basics block (and yes, I know I marched a light horn), and it still helped. It especially helped on horn appreciation day when I got a euph.

The best way to get good at holding your horn up is to do just that. Hold your horn up. Try this - get a horn, and time yourself to see what's the absolute longest you can hold it. Then, the next day (or maybe try every other day), hold it for that long again, but add on 10 seconds. Continue to add on and add on, and you should be pretty solid come November.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Ding.. ding.. ding...

And DON'T FORGET to hold your horn at the proper angle. If you drop the bell down while practicing or just holding it you're not getting the full effect.

The key is building stamina more than building strengh.

More power to ya....

s/ That 5' 6" olde pharte Bari...

swimming does wonders for your breathing as well as upper body strength.

This.

It's especially useful if you can do some swimming "triathlon style"; that is, long arm strokes, no kicking. No kicking at all. Pull yourself through the water, with your head down. Exhale while your face is under water, ever five or so strokes lift your head up and take a deep inhale.