Uniformed Personnel in Empire Statesmen Retreat

Like I said, I very much appreciated ES gesture and respect for the uniformed services and our nation. I know the corps and honor guard meant no disrespect. It was something that bugged me in the moment for which I soon after started the thread (#### iPhone and ready-access internet).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK Sam, the gloves are off, flyboy.

1st, shouldn't the order have been USA, USMC, USN and then the lowly USAF?

I recall the '86 Empire show well. I was the guy trying at every show to "take back" that USMC dress blue top. The "jarhead" who donated it was a flunk out at the USN School of Music, he was there in '81 when I was.

On a serious note, here's my reason for trying to get the USMC top. There a rich history on exactly who gets the chance to wear a United States Marine Corps dress unifrom. It's not just a piece of clothing, exactly the same reason the US flag is not a piece of cloth, it's a symbol of something that has deep meaning.

I would have rather the Statesmen make a phony uniform. I appreciate the respect they weere giving the armed services.

Sam, you know why there is a U. S. Air Force?

To keep all the scumbags out of the Marines.Hey i resent that. when i was flying in the sixties we had to have pooper scoopers in flight when we were transporting Marines to POC.

1st, shouldn't the order have been USA, USMC, USN and then the lowly USAF?

the respect they weere giving the armed services.

Sam, you know why there is a U. S. Air Force?

To keep all the scumbags out of the Marines.Hey i resent that. when i was flying in the sixties we had to have pooper scoopers in flight when we were transporting Marines to POC.

In order to address confusion and concern over the proper display of and respect for the national flag, the 105th Congress amended and re-enacted The Flag Code. The statute, located in the United States Code, Title 4, provides both rules and instructions for civilians on a variety of subjects including appropriate occasions for and manner of display of the flag. The Flag Code was designed for civilian use, however, and does not apply to military protocol. Military flag precedence is governed by Department of Defense Directive 1005.8 dated October 31, 1977.

Army

Military flags have a long and glorious history dating back to prior to the American Revolutionary War. The United States Army was created by act of the Continental Congress on June 14, 1775. Although the Army marched under numerous flags for the next two centuries, the official United States Army Flag currently being used was adopted by presidential order in 1956. As the first branch of the military authorized by Congress, the U.S. Army flag takes precedence when displayed with other military flags.

Marines

On Nov. 10, 1775 the Continental Congress passed a resolution to create two battalions of Marines. The Marines probably originally served under the Grand Union Flag, although the Stars and Stripes were adopted 1777. The official seal of the United States Marine Corps as approved by President Eisenhower in 1954, but the design of the Marine Corps flag hasn't changed significantly since 1939. The U.S. Marine Corps flag follows the U.S. Army flag.

Navy

Although the various colonies and militias flew highly individual flags, the Grand Union Flag was preferred by Gen. George Washington. Consisting of 13 alternating red and white stripes with the crosses of St. George and St. Andrew on a blue field in the upper left-hand corner, this banner was hoisted by Navy Lt. John Paul Jones on the flag ship Alfred in late 1775 and became the unofficial ensign of the Continental Navy. The official United States Navy flag was adopted in 1959. The U.S. Navy flag follows the U.S. Marine Corps flag.

Air Force

Originally known and the U.S. Army Air Corps, the United States Air Force was created by the National Security Act of 1947. The official flag of this branch of the service was adopted in 1951. As the youngest of the armed services, the U.S. Air Force flag follows the U.S. Navy flag.

Coast Guard

The United States Coast Guard, originally known as the Revenue Cutter Service, serves twin missions in both the civil and military realms. Although it was created in 1790, the Coast Guard functions during peacetime under the jurisdiction of the Department of Homeland Security. As such the U.S. Coast Guard flag follows the U.S. Air Force flag. However, during times of war, the Coast Guard serves under the Department of the Navy, and its flag moves ahead of the U.S. Air Force flag and takes its place after the U.S. Navy flag.

October 31, 1977

Number 1005.8

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE DIRECTIVE

SUBJECT: Order of Precedence of Members of Armed Forces of the United States When in Formations

Refs: (a) DOD Directives 1005.8, subject as above, October 8, 1957 (hereby cancelled)

(b) Title 10, United States Code, Section 133(b)

I. REISSUANCE AND PURPOSE

This Directive reissues reference (a) to update the listing of organizations and to change the order of precedence. Reference (a) is hereby superseded and cancelled.

II. APPLICABILITY

The provisions of this Directive apply to the Military Departments.

III. PRESCRIBED PROCEDURE

By virtue of the authority vested in the Secretary of Defense, under the provisions of reference (b), and pursuant to agreement with the Secretary of Transportation and the Secretary of Commerce, members of the Armed Forces of the United States and Merchant Marine midshipmen shall take precedence in the following order when in formations:

1. Cadets, United States Military Academy

2. Midshipmen, United States Naval Academy

3. Cadets, United States Air Force Academy

4. Cadets, United States Coast Guard Academy

5. Midshipmen, United States Merchant Marine Academy

6. United States Army

7. United States Marine Corps

8. United States Navy

9. United States Air Force

10. United States Coast Guard

11. Army National Guard of the United States

12. Army Reserves

13. Marine Corps Reserve

14. Naval Reserve

15. Air National Guard of the United States

16. Air Force Reserve

17. Coast Guard Reserve

18. Other training organizations of the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard, in that order, respectively.

Provided, however, that during any period when the United States Coast Guard shall operate as part of the United States Navy, the Cadets, United States Coast Guard Academy, the United States Coast Guard, and the Coast Guard Reserve, shall take precedence, respectively, next after the Midshipmen, United States Naval Academy, the United States Navy, and the Naval Reserve.

IV. EFFECTIVE DATE AND IMPLEMENTATION

This Directive is effective immediately. Forward two copies of implementing regulations to the Assistant Secretary of Defense (Manpower, Reserve Affairs, and Logistics) within 30 days.

Deputy Secretary of Defense

Edited by cavalry37

To all that have questions,

All of the uniformed military, the firefighter and the police representative were actually members of those organizations. Hours of preparation went into finding and preparing these fine gentlemen to be part of our show.

I thought it was a nice touch...especially on Sunday, when you guys moved all the people in uniform to the back sidelines.... I thought they "framed" the show quite well.

Fran

My thanks to the Empire Statesmen for honoring America's military members and law enforcement and firefighters, with their 2009 show.

Regarding the decision by the Honor Guard Captain to salute the drumline, etc.......It's really simple. A salute is simply a gesture of respect. There are certain rules adhered to regarding saluting one's national colors, and regarding subordinates saluting superior officers, etc. But, I think one would be hard pressed to find a rule PROHIBITING a salute.

When I served as the Honor Guard Captain for the Brigadiers, I saluted any national colors that came into close proximity to me anywhere at the contest venue. I also made it a habit to salute any Drum Majors or Guard Captains I saw, who were in uniform. It's simply the right thing to do.

I salute the Empire Statesmen for never having been lower than the top 4 in DCA for the last 22 years ! A very astonishing accomplishment to say the least.

S A L U T E