DCA vs DCI

I think that DCI would probably have an advantage in drill and guard because in general the kids have more time, but when it comes to brass and perc then all bets are off.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what about taking one of the allentown regional shows and inviting reading to compete on the same sheets????

id die to see this... can u imagine the reading bucs going on then bd?? exciting...

what about taking one of the allentown regional shows and inviting reading to compete on the same sheets????

id die to see this... can u imagine the reading bucs going on then bd?? exciting...

A battle of the champs? Oh yes!!

But the trick would be designing the sheets to be fair to both groups, as DCI and DCA sheets have a different emphasis...

OR...run all corps on BOTH sheets and average the scores....

problem with this is that allentown is toward the end of the DCI season, so everyone is really starting to clean up nicely, but it's about mid season for DCA. they aren't clean enough yet.

I think that DCI would probably have an advantage in drill and guard because in general the kids have more time, but when it comes to brass and perc then all bets are off.

DCI kids would still have an advantage in percussion, for the same reason.

DCI kids would still have an advantage in percussion, for the same reason.

I think the more accurate comparison would be some DCI corps vs. BOA units. The instrumentation and approach is more similar.

Otherwise, I'd just rather see a DCA show.

sure there are examples of individuals on reading's staff who are top-tier DCI quality instructors/designers. my point is that overall, from top to bottom, their staff is clearly not better than EVERY SINGLE staff in DCI, which is the claim that was made by the original poster ("second to none in dci" was the terminology used).

for the record, the buccaneers' staff is BY FAR the best in DCA, in my opinion. no one else is even close.

I'm not sure I agree. Don't get me wrong I have a huge respect for the Bucs. Their staff does amazing things and have had an incredible run. They were the best corps last weekend and deserved to win for sure. But to say that they have BY FAR the best staff doesn't necessarily take into account outside factors and inherent advantages of schedule, tradition, organization, familiarity with judges, and proximity to competition. Now I'm not saying that they are not a great staff, clearly they are. But there are other great staffs, one of which I am on at MBI. When you really think about it maybe the best staff is at Alliance to be able to teach their corps to jump into finals for the first time, or the Govies to have great success with a small town local corps.

Again, the Bucs staff is amazing. They have set a new bar for DCA. I have never seen a better DCA corps than I saw from them this year, but in my opinion to say that no one is close to their staff is short sighted.

Joel

but of course... grapefruit it is

except you have a corps a week out from finals in DCI and corps with a month to go in DCA...with drastically different rehearsal schedules.

come on gang...it's apples and oranges. let's all be smart here and realize it is what is and be happy with both, or whichever one you prefer