DCA Finals Attendance?

Late 70s DCA albums had a rough attendance figure on them but not trusting my memory to say what it was. 13K-17K sounds familar but don't know if that was paid attendance or number of warm bodies. And IIRC corrently Hershey seats 8K in each grandstand (those of us who might have been at 79-80 DCA).

Not making comparision to today, just trying to add to the history portion of this thread.

if i recall, Hershey also added bleachers down front as well....since the main seats went way down beyond the end zones.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I have annual volunteer work I do here in the Valley for a charity event on Labor Day and I do not guess DCA is going to move Finals to accommodate me. One could hope, right?

It's not about comparing attendance, or performance quality or really anything else. Even though both circuits promote excellence in drum corps, they are clearly both drum corps, but clearly different flavors. I believe most of this comes from the age restrictions for DCI performers and the lack of such restrictions for DCA.

This draws different fans by the very nature of who participates. Anyway, still being able to experience drum corps is the important thing. And whether there is a DCA competition in your area, a DCI competition, or a combined competition, we should make the efforts to support drum corps in our area. The alternative is most undesirable.

i wish we had more combined. the Hershey show usually got 6-8k annually for DCA and DCI corps

It's not about comparing attendance, or performance quality or really anything else. Even though both circuits promote excellence in drum corps, they are clearly both drum corps, but clearly different flavors. I believe most of this comes from the age restrictions for DCI performers and the lack of such restrictions for DCA.

This draws different fans by the very nature of who participates.

Absolutely..... on the DCA side, you might be sitting in the stands watching a performer who marched with you 10, 15, 20 years ago....definitely a different vibe than DCI.

Also, no age restriction on the DCA side means performers can stay with a corps for a longer time, and you get to know them as personalities... the drum majors and brass soloists in particular.

Tom, you're right..... whichever "side" of the activity.... junior, all-age or alumni.....I'm just glad drum corps is still around.

Fran

I love it Fran

I'm reminded of sitting in the press box near the corps area and listening to a very young baby (Empire's Jimmy Steele's daughter) clearly yelling go daddy... and of course there were many opportunities for some to yell go grandpa... lol

and how many instances of multiple generations marching together?

GO GRANDPA! bet you don't hear that at DCI... :tongue:

Without going through all 6 pages ,,did anyone ever answer the question?

I love it Fran

I'm reminded of sitting in the press box near the corps area and listening to a very young baby (Empire's Jimmy Steele's daughter) clearly yelling go daddy... and of course there were many opportunities for some to yell go grandpa... lol

and how many instances of multiple generations marching together?

GO GRANDPA! bet you don't hear that at DCI... :tongue:

Walt and Adam Street marching next to each other for a large chunk of Bucs show

I felt that numbers were down based on the number of people sititng at the ends of the lower section last year they ran right around into the bleacher section and was pretty full at that there was one whole section empty before even getting to the bleachers yhis year economy I guess but the show was awesome, anyone that was not there missed out big time congrats Govies and Bucs

Without going through all 6 pages ,,did anyone ever answer the question?

somewhere between 2700 and 14000 so far.

It's a big range, but...people's vantage points didn't allow the viewing of the entire stands.

Perhaps an estimate from one or more of the members/staff from competing corps could venture a guess.

My guess is...based on anecdotal feedback I have been given...

2700 = too low

14000 = too high

anecdotal information given to me tells me lower than last year because of the economy. Seems logical.

it is....it has a warmness i've yet to experience in the many times i've gone to DCI Finals.

it;s as much about the social aspects as it is about what is on the field

ding, ding, ding

We have a winner.

I couldn't agree more on this. Even though we are in "competition" it really has a special atmosphere. Seeing old friends and making new ones is as much a part of it as marching and playing. We are all part of a pretty unique sub-group of society. That which unites us is greater by far than that which separates us.