DCA Finals Attendance?

And some junior corps back in the day. LOL

Ray

HAHA ... I was thinking Loretto myself Ray ...

:-)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and Timmy soloing for Ghost Riders...and St Joe's!

And isn't that the way it's supposed to be?? marching with your son or daughter..oh an unbelievable experience.....The best thing in my life...me and Kelsey.yep DA... it is the coolest thing about Drum Corps..been there and enjoyed it!! :tongue:

And some junior corps back in the day. LOL

Heh... mid-1970s, I met a guy who had just finished his last season with a Philadelphia-area junior corps. The guy had his 6-year old son with him. LOL

Fran

anecdotal information given to me tells me lower than last year because of the economy. Seems logical.

If that part is from my earlier post, I've since been corrected via some swapped PMs.

Seems the other person and myself were not talking about the same thing in the few seconds we talked. Wish I could give more details but don't want to give the other persons name without permission.

A good friend of mine who sits on the DCI BOD told me they had about 15,000 people attending DCI finals. That being the case it appears as if DCI and DCA are neck in neck with each other in attendence figures. Interesting.

Wow, If I recall correctly in the late 80's it was about 40,000 for DCI and 5 or 6k for DCA. Looks like my personal feeling of DCA having the staying power and the better business model is coming true. DCI has become a slavish, insular, fringe club with many unwritten design rules and clubby do's and don'ts, that if broken become competitive suicide. To me, this results in homogenization of the product.

DCA is a more open, audience oriented product which encourages broader ranging, more audience oriented shows and material presented and package more as the original composers had indended them. All in the spirit of the original geneous that created them. DCA is also improving the quality and polish of their productions with each year. Lets see where it all is 10 more years hence.

Edited by Imperial

DCi hit 40k once I believe in Montreal. DCA had some huge years in Rochester and Allentown in the 70s...i'd imagine numbers stayed decent in Allentown thru the 80s....Scranton had to go down because it only held so many people. Frontier Field had a great success, but the way the field was set up had those paying the most having the worst seats.

DCI hit a low in the late 90s...it has bounced up some in recent years...going to CA and Denver couldnt have hurt there.

but I'd imagine both may be down somewhat given the economy.

but i'll still say DCA does a better job filling the highest percentage of available seats with paying customers. people keep saying we need this stadium that holds 60,000 people or that...no way in hell. thats suicide.

. Frontier Field had a great success, but the way the field was set up had those paying the most having the worst seats

Yep was there and could not hear a thing top row on the 50 yrd line what a dissappointment the corps were a mile away and that train arrgh

Peter (mello) and Tyler (trumpet) Propfe of the Hurcs.

Tyler shouldn't be old enough to march yet.

Being that he is I've aged more than I've let on in the last 20 years... :ph34r:

Heh... mid-1970s, I met a guy who had just finished his last season with a Philadelphia-area junior corps. The guy had his 6-year old son with him. LOL

Fran

I am also thinking of the time that a horn player for Loretto was talking with director, Sonny Calvagna, at a show in Selden and trying to avoid one of his (the horn player) HS students who was with Selden.

Ray