CT Hurricanes and DCA

I dont think anyone has said ( Unless I missed it ) that any Hurcs are saying they got screwed

...and you better not see it from anyone who marched this year. funny thing is, I figured after last year, that I would be able to see fire in the eyes of my fellow corps mates. That didn't happen this year until this past weekend, which as we all know, is too little too late. However, I did see something remarkable from this drum corps after retreat was over. For the first time since I've been with the corps, I felt unified emotion. There were flames in the eyes of the members, along with tears. I have a feeling that because of this, there will be a solid core returning for next year, who will be pushing harder than the corps ever has, which is all we can ask for.

This was a great year for DCA. The more drama, the better, right? I can't get enough of it. All I know is that I'm already excited for next year, as I'm sure most of you are. Especially since as you said, there were corps on fire this weekend. Couldn't have said it better myself. Everyone stay safe in the offseason and work your butts off. It's going to be another good one next year.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mybe the judges got it right both days. i thought Empire was light years better at finals than they were at prelims

Agreed. It sounds like Empire did good for themselves at finals.

Let the scores stand. They deserve respect.

...and you better not see it from anyone who marched this year. funny thing is, I figured after last year, that I would be able to see fire in the eyes of my fellow corps mates. That didn't happen this year until this past weekend, which as we all know, is too little too late. However, I did see something remarkable from this drum corps after retreat was over. For the first time since I've been with the corps, I felt unified emotion. There were flames in the eyes of the members, along with tears. I have a feeling that because of this, there will be a solid core returning for next year, who will be pushing harder than the corps ever has, which is all we can ask for.

This was a great year for DCA. The more drama, the better, right? I can't get enough of it. All I know is that I'm already excited for next year, as I'm sure most of you are. Especially since as you said, there were corps on fire this weekend. Couldn't have said it better myself. Everyone stay safe in the offseason and work your butts off. It's going to be another good one next year.

I agree with James. Thanks for the honest, objective appraisal.

I got to make some frindships and aquaintances through the years from other corps, and they work as hard as anyone else in this activity. In the course of a season everyone everywhere thinks their corps should be over another unit. The home-team passion can color your objectivity (I'm not immune to it, so I guess everyone has it). The scores were the scores. Congrats to all of the units!

Oh, for the record, I absolutely loved being a part of the 2009 Hurricanes. I remember my 1st year-1985. We had 20 or so horns and would have given our right arm and various other body parts to be in 4th not just 1 year, but 2 successive seasons. It was a bit deflating to go from 2nd in prelims to 4th in finals. Hey, it would be for any corps members. But these things happen IMHO. I hope my fellow Hurcs keep that in mind for the 2010 season. Take care, and hope to see some old friends (and new faces) at the 2010 Hurricanes Open House. Until then I have WEEKENDS OFF! Laundry and sleep hehe.

I agree with James. Thanks for the honest, objective appraisal.

I got to make some frindships and aquaintances through the years from other corps, and they work as hard as anyone else in this activity. In the course of a season everyone everywhere thinks their corps should be over another unit. The home-team passion can color your objectivity (I'm not immune to it, so I guess everyone has it). The scores were the scores. Congrats to all of the units!

Oh, for the record, I absolutely loved being a part of the 2009 Hurricanes. I remember my 1st year-1985. We had 20 or so horns and would have given our right arm and various other body parts to be in 4th not just 1 year, but 2 successive seasons. It was a bit deflating to go from 2nd in prelims to 4th in finals. Hey, it would be for any corps members. But these things happen IMHO. I hope my fellow Hurcs keep that in mind for the 2010 season. Take care, and hope to see some old friends (and new faces) at the 2010 Hurricanes Open House. Until then I have WEEKENDS OFF! Laundry and sleep hehe.

Now that was classy..good 4 u :tongue: Congrats a good summer

Thats right Hurcs!!! Lets keep the fire burning. The season began this past weekend and light that fire under us and get recruiting and moving into that top 3 or championships spot in 2010.

I marched with the Hurricanes for 4 years and have seen some of the best they had to offer and the worst as they searched for an identity. I was shocked and upset at first when I saw them drop to 4th in Finals and just like a lot of people I felt they got shafted, however I realized a few things from the past with them and other drum corps that I have worked with or marched with.....the unexpected can happen. That can take the form of other corps being "on" or the hurcs having an off show/night, etc. What I can tell you is that they surprised a lot of groups and people this weekend. This is the highest they have been in several years and it forced a lot of groups to take notice and say holy crap. Which means next year 1-3 need to look out because the Hurcs have a tendency to never give up and if they keep with the momentum of this incredible year they have the ability to slap more corps around next year. I am just proud to see them with an goal and a plan and succeeding at it. If I lived closer than 13 hours away I would be there in person to help support. Take care guys and look forward to seeing you on top!!!

For the second year in a row we shared the same hotel with the Hurcs and got a chance to talk with some of the members. Have been a fan since the mid 70s and still a fan after being around the corps a bit.

Few of us talked to one of the Contras after Prelims and had a blast. We were in the "500" section of the hotel (aka first floor, back ### part). Guy was carrying his horn and we told him no practicing in the room after midnight. He said he'd just march up and down the hall and play then. :tongue: Sorry but only way I can describe him is to say he was one of the two(?) black contras. Funny as Hades guy, might have been the guy who had fun with my wifes walker last year. :worthy:

Also sat with people who might have been the parents of one of the field DMs (Penguin?). Had fun with them also and very nice people.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I marched with the Hurricanes for 4 years and have seen some of the best they had to offer and the worst as they searched for an identity. I was shocked and upset at first when I saw them drop to 4th in Finals and just like a lot of people I felt they got shafted, however I realized a few things from the past with them and other drum corps that I have worked with or marched with.....the unexpected can happen. That can take the form of other corps being "on" or the hurcs having an off show/night, etc. What I can tell you is that they surprised a lot of groups and people this weekend. This is the highest they have been in several years and it forced a lot of groups to take notice and say holy crap. Which means next year 1-3 need to look out because the Hurcs have a tendency to never give up and if they keep with the momentum of this incredible year they have the ability to slap more corps around next year. I am just proud to see them with an goal and a plan and succeeding at it. If I lived closer than 13 hours away I would be there in person to help support. Take care guys and look forward to seeing you on top!!!

I, too, marched four years with the Hurcs. I started right after the low point of this decade, 2003, when the Hurcs didn't make finals. 2004 was a struggle. Talk about a challenge, we changed our entire show in March. We ended up 10th that year. :worthy: 2005 we were 10th again. :sad: Then the move forward began and we were 7th in 2006. :tongue: Who can forget our performance during TS Ernesto? No lines, no hashes, 50 plus mph winds, torrential rains. We embraced it! Afterall, we are Hurricanes! :worthy: 2007 we were 7th again, though most of us thought we should have been 5th/6th. I remember being ****ed off with the judges after that one, but walked away knowing that I and my corps had performed their best. :tongue: That was my last show. Then the powers that be really ramped it up for 2008. Forget 5th/6th. Straight to 4th. :worthy:

As for 2009, I had the priviledge of driving the "pit" truck for finals weekend. This is a different drum corps than I ever knew. Not that we didn't work hard in the past. This corps had a focus and a resolve. Thank you all for welcoming me back and for allowing me to share the emotions of the weekend. Was I upset with the results? :tongue: See my Drum Corps Assassins post in the finals thread. :devil: Sunday night I was ready to rant and rave on DCP, but thought better of it. :doh: The Hurricanes are greater than that and I didn't want to pull them down. Well, now I'm over it and am only looking forward to the excitement that the "thunder from the valley" will bring to DCA in 2010! :tongue:

Just remember 7th, 7th jumped to 4th. 4th, 4th and now a jump to ????????

Thanks Hurcs, "walk proud and think of thunder"!

The Captain (rookie name)

Buddy Scudder

Minnesota Brass was RIDICULOUS. For any of you to even THINK that the Hurricanes could beat them, need to seriously reconsider how you view this activity. Excellent job MBI. If anyone's gotten screwed in the past, it's you.

Minnesota Brass was RIDICULOUS. For any of you to even THINK that the Hurricanes could beat them, need to seriously reconsider how you view this activity. Excellent job MBI. If anyone's gotten screwed in the past, it's you.

Dude, seriously?

You have no class. You need to rethink when you post.