Smaller Horn Lines in Todays Corps

I'ld like to add my two cents. I think the addition of a Class "A" in DCA has been a great forward move for small corps. Not because it gave them a Championship of their own but because once this class got established, smart directors and designers realized they didn't have to have a Cabs drill or Bucs Sound.

The Class a prelim is a pleasure to watch. Corps do things they can achieve at a high level. For you young designers, remember that word achieve.

I'ld like to add my two cents. I think the addition of a Class "A" in DCA has been a great forward move for small corps. Not because it gave them a Championship of their own but because once this class got established, smart directors and designers realized they didn't have to have a Cabs drill or Bucs Sound.

Class A was created while I was "away" from Drum Corps so was a Hell of a surprise to me. And I still think it was the smartest idea DCA has had since at least the early 90s when I predicted corps would be dead by 2000. (The 13 corps that showed up in 1993(?) was the reason for that prediction.)

Considering my first "tour" in corps we placed anyway from last in Prelims to 6th in Finals I can say I've seen both sides of that fence. :tongue:

I believe that the horn line size matters only when considering 1) the venue and 2) the area of venue used. The effectiveness is in the staging.

For example, Cabs, Bucs, et. al. have the horns to go anywhere and face any direction on a full football field.

Most Class A corps can achieve an EFFECTIVELY full (big horn line) sound if they stay in the front half of the field between the thirties.

Star United in performing on stage or, as they did at finals, in front of where the pit usually is set up, can hardly be considered a "small" hornline.

Likewise, would you really like to hear the Cabs as the exhibition corps on stage at the end of the mini corps competition? You may say yes.....but you'll pay for it for a day or two............say what?

Joe in NJ

The Bushwackers and Sunrisers both won DCA with less than 40 horns in the 80's

Jim, I was in Bucs in 1976 and I don't think we had 51 horns. More like low to mid 40s.

I'll have to see if I can find a roster, I could be wrong.

Gee ya think corps staff might have BS'ed a bit when asked for the numbers. :tongue: Someday I'll count the full corps pics I have of Westshore from around 1977 (can't remember exact year) and see what I come up with. If we had 50+ that's counting some people holding up horns and not playing.

Oh yeah, my original thought on why less horns are more accepted....

Arrangement and talent The horns are more exposed from the stands and when you hear what just one horn is playing it's a lot more complex than back in my day. And you can tell that person is playing and playing well. :tongue:

1978 Rochester Crusaders = 78 horns (24 Lead sops alone)

Has anyone ever had more in DCA?

The Bushwackers and Sunrisers both won DCA with less than 40 horns in the 80's

Absolutely....Sun had either 37 or 38 in 1987.

When I marched there, we never had the biggest horn line out there.... I think the largest horn line we put out in the six years I marched with Sun was 53 or so, in 1979.

My last year....1982.... I think we ended the season with 42 horns. And a championship. :tongue:

Fran