Finally, DCI Acknowledges "Issues" At LOS

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=a...40-16613fd216f8

I like this spin:

“Unlike previous seasons where we were ‘one and done’ in a Championships venue, we now have the incredible opportunity to return to Lucas Oil Stadium for several years. We can build on the lessons we’ve learned and continue to refine our operation to ensure an incredible World Championships experience for everyone,” said Kuehnhold.

The problems represent an Incredible Opportunity... why didn't I think of that???

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=a...40-16613fd216f8

I like this spin:

“Unlike previous seasons where we were ‘one and done’ in a Championships venue, we now have the incredible opportunity to return to Lucas Oil Stadium for several years. We can build on the lessons we’ve learned and continue to refine our operation to ensure an incredible World Championships experience for everyone,” said Kuehnhold.

The problems represent an Incredible Opportunity... why didn't I think of that???

DCI: The No Spin Zone.

i bought my tickets through someone else... so guess i wont get to vote.

Open the roof, slap a DCI logo on some misty mates, fund the organization for a year selling "Official DCI Misty Mates" and $5 ice cold bottled water (you put it in your Misty Mate).

And they talk about bringing in all these experts to help them solve the sound issues in the Oil Can when these issues were supposed to have been considered/addressed already in the orginal design of the stadium. Sure hope it is the stadium and city of Indianapolis who are footing the bill for all these consultants and experts. If it is going to be DCI spending the money I pay for tickets to shows, I would vote that they send this money to the corps who need it instead and simply move finals to an OPEN stadium that doesn't have these problems.

Sure sounds like they are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by shaving off the edges of the square peg (that being the paying fans).

And they talk about bringing in all these experts to help them solve the sound issues in the Oil Can when these issues were supposed to have been considered/addressed already in the orginal design of the stadium. Sure hope it is the stadium and city of Indianapolis who are footing the bill for all these consultants and experts. If it is going to be DCI spending the money I pay for tickets to shows, I would vote that they send this money to the corps who need it instead and simply move finals to an OPEN stadium that doesn't have these problems.

Sure sounds like they are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole by shaving off the edges of the square peg (that being the paying fans).

+1

The 2008 countdown is all about how LOS was designed for drum corps and is perfect and designed with accoustics in mind blah blah blah. I guess maybe the 2010 countdown they can explain how they're trying to fix what was supposed to be done 2 years ago.

My reaction exactly, but they're locked into a deal, and now they've gotta do the best they can to play out the cards that have been dealt. We don't know what the long-term deal on LOS says, obviously, but their options may be very limited. Plus, they moved their offices to Indy, so there are political concerns for them, too; if they pull out now as they did after a bad Year One (of Two scheduled) in Miami in 1983, they're really going to pee off their new home city of Indianapolis.

Part of the reason for the follow-up marketing research is going to be damage assessment. I'd expect them to try the band-aid approach while watching revenues, not just from Indy but across the board, very carefully for the next season or two before they make any big decisions on the long-term viability of staying in Indy. And they truly may not have a good alternative. The cost of pulling out early may be too high. And DCI also may genuinely believe the problems are fixable. On the sound, I doubt it, but consultants with a contract may tell DCI and LOS otherwise.

THEN:

"I would imagine there has not been, nor will there ever be, a sports facility constructed with so much concern regarding acoustics. Because of this attention and the importance of marching bands and drum corps to the city of Indianapolis and the Lucas Oil Stadium management, much has been considered and implemented in the design and construction of the building. . . .

Many folks have already provided constructive input on the Lucas Oil Stadium acoustics, as quite a few of them work with the bands here in Indiana. Ultimately, we are confident the expectations of the fans and the corps regarding the championship stage will be met."

NOW:

“Moving forward we know that the quality of sound inside the arena is a top priority for everyone,” said DCI Director of Marketing Bob Jacobs. “We’re working to address all of the issues related to the quality of the listing experience from many different angles simultaneously. We're engaging top experts in the world of commercial sound and the recording industries, some of whom also possess a strong background in the unique requirements and opportunities created by our elite units."