SCV 1989 over age members

Imagine being the snare drummer that would have marched in that guy's place. What a terrible disappointment to find out that the guy who got the spot you wanted so bad was a fraud. :rolleyes:

Yep, and one in particular (although I seem to recall he opted out and was not cut) was a 6 year or so member of Vanguard Cadets and aged out that year with them.

Fred... great drummer and person... I worked with the SCV Cadets drum staff to help pay for my tour in 1989 and got to know him well.

Edited by Joe Salvatore

This whole thread is overage!

Yep... and many probably wishing were weren't, right? :lol:

Imagine being the snare drummer that would have marched in that guy's place. What a terrible disappointment to find out that the guy who got the spot you wanted so bad was a fraud. :tongue:

I can however imagine being that French Horn Player. When I see that hole in the show I will always think that could have been me.

See, I was the LAST soprano cut in 1989. I went on to become the SCV Cadet DM and Soprano Soloist that year.

If I recall correctly, the French horn section was the weakest (talent wise) of the horn line. There were trumpet/soprano players filling in the French horn section. Had I been cut earlier I could have and would have moved over to the FH section. Had he not been there, there likely would have still been a FH hole to fill when I was finally cut from the horn line. I was already given a drill spot and learning drill when I was cut. I got to play with the parachute a few times too.

I hope I don’t get myself in trouble for what I’m about to disclose.

I’m now currently the Treasurer for SCV. What happened, happened A LONG TIME AGO!!!!!!!

As I sit here now I sometimes think I’m better off for not having made the horn line that year. In the end all I would have is a cheap ring not worth $20. I might very well not have the drive I do in life for what I’ve helped SCV achieve in the last 5 years.

SCV has a new bus on tour this year. I personally signed the check for that purchase. I personally am the one that played the largest role in altering our financial situation to allow such a purchase to happen. I didn’t do it by giving SCV money. I did it with my professional skill set, and integrity and guided SCV in that direction, and now they are on their own feet under the direction of a great full time staff that continues the improvement.

We also laid down a new floor at SCV’s hall (we still had the one in there from when I marched), and a new roof is going on as I type this.

Doing things like that for SCV by far trumps anything I could have earned on the field as a marching member.

So if one wants to keep score, those guys “took my ring”, and I gave SCV a Bus, a new flooring and a roof (and that’s only so far).

I think I got the better end of the trade.

Could it be just that the sensitivity to this was higher in the 70s? Surely events in that era bore out the need.

HH

There were corps in the 70's, who will remain nameless, mainly so we don't dredge up the tools who love to bring up this topic from the end of a bar, that clearly were marching over aged members, who in fact would joke about it in the off season, bring their wife and kids to rehearsals, etc. If in fact Passports had been altered, wherever they were altered, I doubt very highly, having marched for him, that Gail would know the difference, seeing as how his days with the CIA had been limited to desk duty. There has to be a duty of trust when someone hands you a British passport that it is legit and it is to be assumed that Gail, being the trusting fellow he was (rest in peace), took that level of trust. :tongue:

Just my own 2 cents. My Husband and I were there the day that Gail found out about the bad passports and overage members. We happened to be visiting in the Souvie RV that morning. He was so upset and so hurt. You could see the pain in his eyes. He said that he "advised" the ones caught that for their own well being they had better pack up and get out before he told the rest of the Corps what they had done... I'll never forget that day.

I remember back in 76' when we belonged to DCI but also marched in a local circuit. There were three corps including our own that had overage members. Ours was one of our DM's, with another it was a tymp player and with another it was a lead sop. We all knew about it, but people who live in glass houses can't throw any stones, so it never came to the forefront. Then we were all told that we had to submit a copy of our birth certificates for the DCI championships so there were a few members amongst the various corps that just had to sit that one out. Keep in mind, that was the year after the Muchachos got busted big time, so everyone was really nervous.

I joined the Crossmen back in 84 a week before we left for tour. I remember being on the field in Huntington and Mr. Robinson and Mark Thurston eyeing my up. They walked up and ask how old I was, 19 at the time. Since I didn't have ID my mom had to fax my Drivers license, birth certificate and something else I forget. I always looked older then I was, could get served as a freshmen.

I can however imagine being that French Horn Player. When I see that hole in the show I will always think that could have been me.

See, I was the LAST soprano cut in 1989. I went on to become the SCV Cadet DM and Soprano Soloist that year.

If I recall correctly, the French horn section was the weakest (talent wise) of the horn line. There were trumpet/soprano players filling in the French horn section. Had I been cut earlier I could have and would have moved over to the FH section. Had he not been there, there likely would have still been a FH hole to fill when I was finally cut from the horn line. I was already given a drill spot and learning drill when I was cut. I got to play with the parachute a few times too.

I hope I don’t get myself in trouble for what I’m about to disclose.

I’m now currently the Treasurer for SCV. What happened, happened A LONG TIME AGO!!!!!!!

As I sit here now I sometimes think I’m better off for not having made the horn line that year. In the end all I would have is a cheap ring not worth $20. I might very well not have the drive I do in life for what I’ve helped SCV achieve in the last 5 years.

SCV has a new bus on tour this year. I personally signed the check for that purchase. I personally am the one that played the largest role in altering our financial situation to allow such a purchase to happen. I didn’t do it by giving SCV money. I did it with my professional skill set, and integrity and guided SCV in that direction, and now they are on their own feet under the direction of a great full time staff that continues the improvement.

We also laid down a new floor at SCV’s hall (we still had the one in there from when I marched), and a new roof is going on as I type this.

Doing things like that for SCV by far trumps anything I could have earned on the field as a marching member.

So if one wants to keep score, those guys “took my ring”, and I gave SCV a Bus, a new flooring and a roof (and that’s only so far).

I think I got the better end of the trade.

Hey SCV 90-92...THANK YOU for all you've done for SCV... Everything happens for a reason. I truly believe that and you are living proof! Isn't it a great feeling to give back to the kids what you enjoyed so many years ago? There is nothing like giving young people the diverse experiences that Drum Corps offer. And the thing is, they won't truly appreciate this experience until years from now when they too can give back to their"next generation".

BTW...did you ride my bus? '90-'92 were awesome years for SCV no matter where you placed. (I absolutely LOVED Miss Saigon),