Purchase a G line or Bb line?

Pay Ziggy enough and he'll do it...ask the Marines!

Which makes me wonder....what WOULD the price diff be between a new 3 valve Powerbore sop and a 2 valve model??

Powerbores $880

2 valve with shepards crook $1100

to all you G haters "It's not the car it's the driver" If you can a Bb in tune you could play a G in tune....

I heard some pretty bad lines with Bb.... Some of those Bb trumpet lines you can't even here from the stands...

Edited by Bob H

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im very interested in the general opinion on purchasing a new line for a new corps. Personally I'm biased toward G horns but question, Is there a bias against bugles in the judging community right now, whether Open or World Class? Would brass scores automatically handicap a group due to the perceived superior quality of the Bb horns, regardless of which side you may come down on the ongoing debate?

Yes, there is an unquestionable bias toward Bb/F. Judges have stated their preference in DCI world-class critiques.

Outside of DCI world-class, the differences in performance level between corps are much wider; thus, the Bb/F bias doesn't have a tangible effect on contest results in DCI open-class or DCA. And those are the circuits where any new corps would be.

There is no inherent tuning advantage to Bb/F brass....if anything, the blending of F middle horns with Bb voices creates additional challenges vs. a set of horns all in one key. And of course, the players (and their training) are far more influential in determining whether a given hornline's intonation is good or bad.

Here are the real decision-making factors in a nutshell:

Bb/F horns are more familiar to band members. If your corps will have a limited practice schedule, and/or will rely on members having band experience to get a head-start, then go Bb/F.

G bugles offer a clear advantage in outdoor projection....if you fill them with air. If your brass staff and performers are interested in putting in the time and effort to develop their abilities, the G bugle enables startlingly better results.

Powerbores $880

2 valve with shepards crook $1100

Thanks....I'd never heard what the price diff was...not that I'd go 2-valve today....3 valves -- in addition to being cheaper -- means an arranger wouldn't have to worry about arranging around those 4 notes that I couldn't play on my K-20.

Edited by 84BDsop

and it is mid-September isn't it....

Baited by a troll into the old G vs. Bb argument once again.

Bb are better....simply because I say so.

It's as valid as any other anecdotal opinions about the superior power and blah blah blah of G horns.

If the horns really matter all that much, let's fire all the members and instructors and lay the horns out there on the field for 11 minutes.

It's ALL about the players and the instructors. And perhaps some of you who can't hear the Bbs...it may have been years since you had the hearing aid batteries turned up.

How many DCA corps still use Gs? When's the last time a DCA corps bought new G horns?

Are there even any Open Class corps on Gs?

If the horns really matter all that much, let's fire all the members and instructors and lay the horns out there on the field for 11 minutes.

I like this idea the best :laughing:

How many DCA corps still use Gs? When's the last time a DCA corps bought new G horns?

Off of top of my head SF Renegades. Not sure of the others or if any other DCA corps has bought new Gs recently.

Empire Statesmen and Renegades are the two DCA Finalists with G lines. I am sure there are also Class A and probably others as well.

But, in DCI, I don't think there are any left.

To the OP, go with Bb/F. For lots of reasons

To everyone else, the switch happened TEN YEARS AGO.

Move along, nothing to see.

Empire Statesmen and Renegades are the two DCA Finalists with G lines. I am sure there are also Class A and probably others as well.

But, in DCI, I don't think there are any left.

To the OP, go with Bb/F. For lots of reasons

To everyone else, the switch happened TEN YEARS AGO.

Move along, nothing to see.

Kilties (an almost finalist) Just replaced their hornline over the past 3 years with Kanstul G's.