Purchase a G line or Bb line?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many of the DCA Class A corps still play G's.

a few...Kingston Grenadiers, Govies?, Carolina Gold, White Sabers, Excelsior, Lakeshoremen, etc...there are more I am sure.

I am glad that someone did point out the brass score went from 14.2 to 15.5 in a year with the same talent level, arranger and brass staff at Pioneer. That is still hard to gauge because of talent and experience levels.

It still is up to the OP what he wants to hear...and what he wants to spend...

Donny

Edited by donnymusic

Buy a G line, call your new corps The Old School Cadets of G Bugle Badassery, and instantly become %10 of the fans favorite corps.

a few...Kingston Grenadiers, Govies?, Carolina Gold, White Sabers, Excelsior, Lakeshoremen, etc...there are more I am sure.

SoCal Dream....Kingsmen???

The massive and sudden glut of Gs that hit the market after DCI and DCA made the switch was one of the major factors in the explosion of new DCA corps...but that well's starting to run dry.

The massive and sudden glut of Gs that hit the market after DCI and DCA made the switch was one of the major factors in the explosion of new DCA corps...but that well's starting to run dry.

There was never a massive and sudden glut, because nowadays the non-competitive corps almost outnumber the competitive ones.

Edited by HornsUp

I'd say it ran dry about 2-3 years back Sam. Our corps had just finished having each voice on the same manufacturer just before the bottom dropped out. IIRC, we got the Glassmens Altos when they switched. Far as I can tell that was the last purchase we made. Unless you have an inside track with one of the few G corps, it's real tough. My horn was one of the last Baris bought and it came used from another Alumni-type corps but not sure why they sold.

IOW, you can find individual Gs here and there but having a matched set that will hold up under a lot of use might take new horns *ouch*.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Many of the DCA Class A corps still play G's.

Donny

Lakeshoremen use whatever Bb trumpets the members have, not G. Shenandoah Sound is another one that uses G though.

Guess again. Their brass performance score in quarterfinals went from 14.2 (2007) to 15.5 (2008). Looks better to me.

Fair enough. I honestly don't know where to find the caption scores.

I guess the 0.8pt overall improvement from 2007 to 2008 beats out the 1.8pt overall improvement from 2006 to 2007, though. ;)