Corps Cancer

taters

Back in HS the trouble makers generally ended up in leadership positions, which changed their outlooks and generally corrected the problem.

In corps, there's always someone not having the time of their life, but that doesn't always make them trouble makers / cancers. And at least in all-age corps, there's a higher tollerance of people that lack abilities as long as they pay the dues and show up. So it really depends on what you consider a cancer? Does someone consider you a cancer for even asking the question? But I guess it also depends on the corps. Are you a non-profit geared towards education / achievement? Or are you for-profit in a non-profit organization trying to achieve a million dollar annual budget? In the former, every warm body counts. In the later, you've got to skim the milk. Unfortunately too many get the two confused. Anyone can win with a fleet of super stars. Doing the same with cancer, priceless.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cancer:

People with bad attitudes and constant contrary opinions on everything are not welcome and usually remove themselves so far.

We are a sruggling new Corps and can't have overdoses of vegativity.

If we get someone like that I'll give them back their money and say see ya.

Lack of Talent:

Most of our "Old Timers" joined up after not really playing for several years. Our young people are in School Band. Most of our Guard are new to the activity.

We can fix lack of talent. We are an educational Non Profit.

Ever had one member that was just a cancer on your corps? You know the one person that came along, drove everyone nuts, brought morale down, ###### people off, and would not go away? How did you or your organization deal with it? I mean I know you have to learn to accept different personalities, different ways of thinking, and different lifestyles especially when you are in an All Age corps, but I am talking about individuals who actually began to affect the corps in a very negative way.Do you excise the tumor or do you try to shrink it until it goes away?

I was taught by old school drum corps members how the activity works and due to my time in the Marines, I would be very tough on my members as far as discipline is concerned and members like that would not hack it. The military aspect has drastically declined in the activity and it is truley sad. I would be really in tune with all sections of my corps to make sure all is going well and if I see "cancerous" members they will be dealt with accordingly. Unfortunately bands are a different matter because they are represented by a school and you can't really do what you need to without the PTA breathing down your neck. But in drum corps, it should not be allowed. Just my opinion....

Edited by Skydrummer9

Corps has a built in filter of sorts. The costs (dues), and the distance. Although dues in and of itself can be cancerous. I know that if I had to pay what those DCI kids pay these days. You can bet that I'd be holding the corps to a higher standard. For $Xk, you'd think that I could get a bus seat that wasn't broke. But I marched for $500 or less back in the day. Which was less than a months rent for an almost 3 month tour. Food and lodging included. Too much of a bargain to have many complaints. But don't fool yourself, if you take a cruise and every meal sucks, or if you fly somewhere and they loose your luggage or break your leg with one of those serving dolly's, you'll be complaining / cancerous too.

We had that problem this year in our mini corps. We told the person that he was not fitting into our group. He was our only contra at the time as a heart condition sidelined me this year. He was needed but his attitude was distressing the other members. For the good of the corps this was done. This was done internally and the corps regrouped and was on stage for DCA. Being honest and straightforward with the person is alwaya the best way to proceed.

Dave Correia

Good points, Jerry.... well said!

During my time with the Sunrisers, back in the day.... we would sometimes "carry" a corps member who wasn't a good marcher and/or good horn player, IF that person had a good attitude....made rehearsals and worked hard at getting better, did whatever he/she could to help the corps, etc.

Conversely, we cut some talented players who had a bad attitude. The big no-no with Sun was any player...no matter how talented they were... putting themselves first, above the rest of the horn line/drum line and the corps. Even our most talented brass soloists during my time there..... John Arietano, Tom McCarthy, Dave D'Andrea, George Smith, Chris Codd, Michelle (Calogianes) Monturo and others.....great players who could hang with just about any soloist in drum corps at that time.... always considered themselves "line players"... not stars.

Fran

AGREED!!!!!!!

Edited by FPonzo

Back in HS the trouble makers generally ended up in leadership positions, which changed their outlooks and generally corrected the problem.

[edit]

I don't suppose you've worked for the federal government at all. :sleeping: Unfortunately, unlike your high school, it never corrected the problem.