Next Corps to Move "Up"

Alliance made the jump to Open Class this year. Many thought they would not make it and had them predicted at the bottom of the Open Class heap... others predicted them sneak in because of a down year by the Crusaders (which I thought were still descent from the clips). We all know how that turned out. Tremendous success from such a young corps, and as a fan of all southern corps, I could not be happier for the South. I feel like they can serve as a becon of hope to all aspiring Open Class corps... :rolleyes: (sorry, there is no happy soapbox guy).

My question is, which corps will be the next to jump to Open Class, or do you think we will have the same 13 again next year?

I know it is impossible to predict, but it is fun to speculate. Please state why you picked the corps you picked. My pick:

Vigilantes - They already have a battery that can compete in Open (in both size and quality), and their hornline wasn't bad either. I see them as being the next Alliance (which these days isn't such a bad comparison).

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its all about vigilantes

I think with the economy the way it is its going to be whoever can maintain membership. If I had to wager I would bet on some corps moving down before any corps move up. And that is not to knock any of the great Open class corps out there.

Its gonna get tougher before it gets better.

Vigilantes sounded good in the parking lot. That's the only place I got to view them. If they can continue to build a quality hornline to match the quality of the drumline I would suggest yes they will be in the hunt moving up.

Sun Devils is another corps I would keep a open eye for. If they can build on the product they put out this past season they are going places

I think with the economy the way it is its going to be whoever can maintain membership. If I had to wager I would bet on some corps moving down before any corps move up. And that is not to knock any of the great Open class corps out there.

Vigilantes sounded good in the parking lot. That's the only place I got to view them. If they can continue to build a quality hornline to match the quality of the drumline I would suggest yes they will be in the hunt moving up.

Sun Devils is another corps I would keep a open eye for. If they can build on the product they put out this past season they are going places

I thougt the quality matched up pretty well. They just need more Brass Players.

I thougt the quality matched up pretty well. They just need more Brass Players.

I could have worded that better.

What I wanted the to convey was that if they get the numbers in the hornline to balance the themselves against the drumline,,,that they will make the move up.

I agree Sun Devils could move up, probably for next season. That would be a good move for them.

Thanks for the votes of confidence all.

Once our recruiting provides the numbers to achieve the quality we have in mind, we'll field a larger corps. Our intent is to bring a quality product to the field regardless of our size. We do have the equipment to field a 60 member hornline on G bugles, so all we need are bodies!

So - if anyone knows of quality brass and guard members (in addition to us ALWAYS looking for percussionists), we'd love to talk with them.

Edited by Euphscott

Agreed about Sun Devils, but keep in mind that it does not cost a corps any more to be in Open as it does Class A. There are some corps that have been Open for so long, that they would not even think about "dropping" to A. The Crusaders could have competed in A this year and done very well, but they chose to stay in Open... I guess because they have always competed in Open.

I chose Vigilantes because they are seculded enough in Texas to get the membership they need to move up. With a year of performing for people behind them, I am sure they will be able to recruit better this year.