Which 2009 World Class Finalist will not repeat?

Geneva

Troopers over BK in Brass and Percussion all three nights. They seem to be doing well in all the right areas. Color Guard was good but not as strong as the other sections.

If Colts want to break in they need to improve their movement technique.

If Madison wishes to reclaim its former glory they are going to have to play "well" instead of "drum corps". Its a new era. Corps are loud and exciting because they sound good and in tune. A better show design is obviously a major factor.

Academy seems to have everything down pretty well. Its just all about consistency. Nearly making finals in 2007 to not making Friday night in 2008 to being a finalist contender in 2009.

The Blue Knights had an entertaining show design. But that is NOT the horn line from 2006/2007.

Glassmen needs to prove that they are going up by doing it again.

Whatever happens, the 10-15 battle is going to be as epic as ever.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously??

Ok. I'll say it. I am really happy for the Troopers, making finals was a great thing for them...however, IMO, they shouldn't have made it in. I thought that the Colts were way better, but at any rate, neither corps are a top 10 corps. Glassmen have a good finals track record (I believe 15 times, correct me if I'm wrong). I'll give you BK just to be nice, but they've also been in finals pretty consistently. Phantom Regiment's finals record is bested by only one other corps - SCV - and although not guaranteed (just like Madison making finals), with the addition of Myron Rosander, they'll quickly re-establish themselves as a top tier corps.

I'm happy that Madison has addressed its recent issues, but building back up takes time. Those who honestly think that people will be choosing the Madison Scouts in 2010 over corps that have made finals in the last 4 years are seriously out of touch with DCI and its members. Yes, Madison will have a full corps and they will be better than last year, but it is September. Names on a page don't mean a thing until there's a band on grass in May. This forum really is hilarious.

I really think you are wrong about the Troopers vs. Colts from last year. I agree that the Colts had a better CG than Troop, but, Troopers had a much more exposed and difficult musical show (horns and percussian). Troopers may have been the sentimental favorite to make finals, but, they deserved their placement 100%.

The only sure thing in Drum Corps is change. Corps rise and they fall from decade to decade and even from year to year. It is about time for a major corps to fall. I am only predicting the possiblilities and I see a trend for Phantom. Troopers and Madison have some very strong trends toward a higher finish and the economy is not helping the entire activity. Mark my words, a major top 12 corps will fall out and may even not exist in a year or two!

I believe that 2010 will be a year of a lot of churning in the top 16. Troopers and Madison will make big pushes into the top 10 and Phantom, BK, and Glassmen may all fall out of the top 12. The top 3 will, as everyone with more than a few years watching drum corps, be BD, Crown and Cavies. The rest of the placements will be fluid. I also believe that there may be one or two extremely shocking folding of big corps because of the current (and continuing) financial crisis. The days where a corps like Troopers or Crossmen (in the day) can survive day-to-day on a hope and a prayer are done. There are just too many expenses in today's drum corps.

Phantom falling out of top 12? When was the last time THAT happened since DCI? Oh yea, 1973... Even in their down years since then 10th has only happened twice. Nope... I think PR will fix their problems.

Welcome to DCP! :tongue:

I think it's hilarious how this forum works. People pick and choose when things can work and won't work for a corps. Last year i remember posting on staff announcements for other corps and people would say "they are just a name." It doesn't help placement. Is Madison not subject for the same? Sure there is a great number of Scouts fans on this forum and in general, but let's get real. A staff isn't the be all end all. What if this dream staff puts out a show that looks like it's out of the 90s? We've seen with the 08 Colts how much that doesn't work. This thread is a joke.

What's wrong with a show out of the 90s? Too much melody for ya?

Spice up the drill and guard a little... Update the percussion parts a little less, and don't change a thing in the musical arranging.

Play with current techniques. Wham! Great show... No worries...

Madison now has the staff to contend and last years membership really wasn't that bad, so retention, more talent to camps due to named caption heads and some really good music, Mad is back. Play these goofy hero thingies and forget about it. Can you see them with the staff they have doing crowd pleasing music, Strawberry soup, Slaughter, etc. Crowd pleasing music instead of forcing a theme on us. Just play some great tunes, get your drumline rounded out with a kickbutt cymbal line and watch the excitement go. Scouts are already crowd favorites and would have them in the palm of their hand with some good tunes. The only concern is that everyone is all excited about Mason joining. He couldn't do anything with the Colts when he was in charge there ( -money). It took money and EVERY top notch designer and caption head along with months of recruitment adds in Drum Corps World to get Star where they were. I don't know the Scouts finances, so if he needs the cash to make it competitive, will it be there? If they have the cash, Mason can do it and I believe he can do it this year. No doubts. Colts, Blue Star and al the close open corps are going to be hurt in their turnouts to Scouts camps, this will also affect the Troopers and Blue Knights as they compete for the same talent pool. Only so much to go around, so they both might be hurt by each other opening up that 12 spot for a Madison corps. I don't care who makes finals as I usually have favorites shows at every level and in both open and world, and from top to bottom. Loved the Cascades. I don't care where they finished, it doesn't take anything away from my enjoyment, until my kid joins, they are ALL my favorite corps. :tongue:

Maybe , Fred. This past season I was able to take a close look at horn rehearsals of two horn lines in the top ten (one in the upper tier and one in the lower tier) and I didn't notice a big difference in playing competence. What I did perceive was a difference in the sophistication and originality of the programs. Now I did not have the same opportunity with an 11-15 range corps, so maybe. What I appreciated from Madison last year was solid playing, but a program which didn't really work. That is why, in their case, I believe staff and programming changes may reap some placement benefits sufficient to boost them several places.

Oh yeah, no argument that staff and/or programming can make a definite difference, as I acknowledged in my previous post. But I've had some opportunities to observe groups at both levels at pretty close range. Believe me, the overall talent level is significantly different in the upper tier vs. the lower echelon world class corps. Ask anyone who has taught at both levels, or any 11th -17th place staff that has struggled through a tour while watching 3 or 6 of their best kids from the previous season on the field with a top five powerhouse.

peace,

Fred O.

I think it's hilarious how this forum works. People pick and choose when things can work and won't work for a corps. .. This thread is a joke.

But that's the beauty of it, Red: anyone can say anything, and who can prove otherwise? Of course it's a joke - that's why we love it!

peace,

Fred O,

What's wrong with a show out of the 90s? Too much melody for ya?

Spice up the drill and guard a little... Update the percussion parts a little less, and don't change a thing in the musical arranging.

Play with current techniques. Wham! Great show... No worries...

I've marched with the Colts, which is probably the most 90s corps the past few years. Colts always have huge melodies, which is fine, but revamping 90s design doesn't work. Trust me...they tried four years in a row.

Troopers over BK in Brass and Percussion all three nights. They seem to be doing well in all the right areas. Color Guard was good but not as strong as the other sections.

If Colts want to break in they need to improve their movement technique.

If Madison wishes to reclaim its former glory they are going to have to play "well" instead of "drum corps". Its a new era. Corps are loud and exciting because they sound good and in tune. A better show design is obviously a major factor.

Academy seems to have everything down pretty well. Its just all about consistency. Nearly making finals in 2007 to not making Friday night in 2008 to being a finalist contender in 2009.

The Blue Knights had an entertaining show design. But that is NOT the horn line from 2006/2007.

Glassmen needs to prove that they are going up by doing it again.

Whatever happens, the 10-15 battle is going to be as epic as ever.

You are quite right that Trooper's CG was easily the weakest link last year. They have improved immensely since 2007 and will continue until they are equal or maybe even the best section of the corps. I do think that Troopers will improve in their recruiting, especially against BK, and they will have a much stronger hornline in 2010. The percussion took a major leap forward in 2009 and they will also improve. I also think that Troopers need to improve their individual marching and incorporate a universal style, like every top corps, if they want to continue their upward march.

Colts also need to improve their individual style in both marching and music. When I listened to Troop and Colts last year, the Troopers had a more consistent individual musicallity. If the Colts want to move back into the top 12 they will need to address this problem.

Academy seems to have as much talent from top to bottom as any corps from maybe 8th and on up, but, they don't seem to have an actual "aura" of a big-time corps. Talent will only take you so much if you cannot seperate yourself from less able competition if the show design is just "OK".

BK will continue to slide slightly because the recruiting battle with Troopers. Their director is great and they have had a fairly long-term level of success, but, this could have been said about 27th Lancers, Bridgemen, Kingsmen, etc... Change is inevitable and it will really be apparent in 2010. I would bet that there will be at least 3-4 corps in finals which did not make it in 2009 and maybe some corps which have been consitently there outside looking in.

You are quite right that Trooper's CG was easily the weakest link last year. They have improved immensely since 2007 and will continue until they are equal or maybe even the best section of the corps. I do think that Troopers will improve in their recruiting, especially against BK, and they will have a much stronger hornline in 2010. The percussion took a major leap forward in 2009 and they will also improve. I also think that Troopers need to improve their individual marching and incorporate a universal style, like every top corps, if they want to continue their upward march.

Colts also need to improve their individual style in both marching and music. When I listened to Troop and Colts last year, the Troopers had a more consistent individual musicallity. If the Colts want to move back into the top 12 they will need to address this problem.

Academy seems to have as much talent from top to bottom as any corps from maybe 8th and on up, but, they don't seem to have an actual "aura" of a big-time corps. Talent will only take you so much if you cannot seperate yourself from less able competition if the show design is just "OK".

BK will continue to slide slightly because the recruiting battle with Troopers. Their director is great and they have had a fairly long-term level of success, but, this could have been said about 27th Lancers, Bridgemen, Kingsmen, etc... Change is inevitable and it will really be apparent in 2010. I would bet that there will be at least 3-4 corps in finals which did not make it in 2009 and maybe some corps which have been consitently there outside looking in.

I believe Trooper's marching was stronger than BK and Glassmen this year. Blue Knights have had a bit of an identity switch in their visual technique these past couple years. Probably attributed to the changes on the visual staff.