Corps, want to make money

it seems whenever i go to the area in Allentown, it's always packed.

Where is the sovie area at Allentown? Used to be up on the walkway on top of the (then) lower stands. You could check out the souvies and still see the show. Still remember a French Canadian DCA corps at Prelims for the first time. While they were on the field their souvie people were standing up and watching while the folks at the next table watched their stuff. After the corps was done bunch of people went to the FC corps tables to wish them luck for next year (and lot of them ended up buying).

Yeah.. location, location, location....

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Location is key, but so is the amount of time during INT. There usually isn't enought time to hit the bathroom, get some food AND look at the merch tables. Longer INTS will do nothing more than help, but some will be frustrated at the amount of time between corps. Who cares, LONGER INTS...... :thumbup::wub:

Where is the sovie area at Allentown? Used to be up on the walkway on top of the (then) lower stands. You could check out the souvies and still see the show. Still remember a French Canadian DCA corps at Prelims for the first time. While they were on the field their souvie people were standing up and watching while the folks at the next table watched their stuff. After the corps was done bunch of people went to the FC corps tables to wish them luck for next year (and lot of them ended up buying).

Souvies a tucked behind the score board in the back corner. You have all the corps, squeezed in and it makes it tough to get too at times. There is no beter place for them.

The intermission in Allentown was cancelled the first night due to rain delay, the whole area was a mud pit

Location is key, but so is the amount of time during INT. There usually isn't enought time to hit the bathroom, get some food AND look at the merch tables. Longer INTS will do nothing more than help, but some will be frustrated at the amount of time between corps. Who cares, LONGER INTS...... :thumbup::wub:

it's back behind the scoreboard. for East with the crowds, in the upper aisles was a mess.

I have been invlolved with a corps suvi booth for the past 5 years. When we started we had 5 items, today we have 65

There are two levels of customers Adults and kids.

Each have very different tastes of what they want, including price.

Adults have credit cards kids don't.

A kid goes to a show, ticket already bought, parents probably give them 20.00-25.00 to spend, they buy food $10.00, that leaves them aprox 15.00 to spend. There is no much you can buy for $15.00

average tee shirt is $18.00, average hat $20.00, sticks $11.00, so what can they buy not much.

Adults scenario is different, if they like the corps they will pay no problem, if not they may look, say a certain item is cool, then walk away.

but you can't sell a thing if they don't even come to your booth.

breaks are too short, suvi placement is crucial, In Allentown probably 80% of the people don't even come into the suvi area. Its out of their way.

finals had the same problem, after awards it has a gost town in the suvi area.

popular corps sell almost anywhere, they have big fan base. Example Cavaliers, Cadets, SCV, Troopers; My world clase corps sold $133.00 at the Georgia dome.

we keep tabs of what people want and we don't carry, if a lot of people ask for an item, we will order for next year, that's how we have gone from 5 items to 65.

Cadets had tee's for $10.00 and not even the flies were looking. I had tee's for $13.00 and did not sell.

This year money is real tight..people think twice before buying

Design has alot to do, most of us cannot afford a designer.

I am all ears for sugestions...I just want to break even, forget making profit.

I think I can safely say the design and overall look of this year's Ascent t-shirt was lacking. But, there are many other items that look great and I spent more on-line with Academy than you sold at the Georgia Dome.

So, it is safe to say that if you are planning to sell souvies on the road, there are many HUGE obstacles to overcome to be profitible. Much of this you document above. The better corps, the corps who have been around longer already enter the game with more chips on the table. So a certain segment of the fans at shows aren't going to buy from you because of their dollars going to another corps.

Also, being mainly volunteer run- not - for - profit entities, it is difficult to approach the market in a way that negates the competitive advantages other corps have because of their competitive success of longevity in the activity. But, negate these advantages you must.

Make finding your booth a fun adventure. Make it part of the day's activities...first 100 people who find our booth...etc. Put all stupid ideas out there in a discussion. Because, if you market presence isn't unique...isn't radically different...then the forces of convenience, competitive and longevity will make the effort far less productive than it should be.

Radically different from everyone else. Be radically different. Draw attention to your booth or tent...or giant beachball....or whatever you use to draw people to you. Then have something they cannot do without. A MUST HAVE item.

Very god explanations. I just see simple things to improve cash flow. Tell me that if Pioneer has their drum major there, that kids wouldn't head that way? Get some exposure. Shirts really don't cost that much. I have had my own band shirts done for less than three bucks a shirt and they sell for 10.00. More people that aren't drum corps nuts, but patrons at a show might spend ten., but get into the 25 range and they will pass on it. Same with DVDs and cds. Not that expensive to reproduce and sell, but 25 to 50 a shot and average people will walk away. I did at the Championships. I wanted the Band and colorguard championships, but wasn't going to spend 50 for each. Not worth that much.

the problem with your cheap shirt idea is that I don't want to waste money on a cheap shirt that's gonna fall apart. I would rather pay more for good quality products. I haven't bought much in recent years because the quality of most corps polo/golf shirts are very poor for the price. Get better quallity shirts and I would snap them up in a heartbeat.

the problem with your cheap shirt idea is that I don't want to waste money on a cheap shirt that's gonna fall apart. I would rather pay more for good quality products. I haven't bought much in recent years because the quality of most corps polo/golf shirts are very poor for the price. Get better quallity shirts and I would snap them up in a heartbeat.

A true fan is going to want what you want, but a one time show type fan new to the activity isn't going to pay 25.00 for ANY corps shirt. Second, the Capital Regiment had a uniqueness in that they could personalize your stuff with a iron on transfer table in their booth. The only problem with their booth was the two oldtimers who staffed it weren't all that friendly. I remember friendly booths and not so friendly booths and one of the Blue corps ( who shall remain anonymous) lost my money this year due to their staff the previous year. BEAUTIFUL blonde girl working it with the BIGGEST attitude I have ever been around in corps.

A true fan is going to want what you want, but a one time show type fan new to the activity isn't going to pay 25.00 for ANY corps shirt. Second, the Capital Regiment had a uniqueness in that they could personalize your stuff with a iron on transfer table in their booth. The only problem with their booth was the two oldtimers who staffed it weren't all that friendly. I remember friendly booths and not so friendly booths and one of the Blue corps ( who shall remain anonymous) lost my money this year due to their staff the previous year. BEAUTIFUL blonde girl working it with the BIGGEST attitude I have ever been around in corps.

yeah, Sky used to do the instant iron on thing. I remember in 1993 they had two designs made up for the champion shirt. One with Star, and one with Cadets, so when the champion was announced they would start producing the shirt and selling instant 1993 DCI champion shirts just like you see in pro sports when the winning team is all wearing champion hats and shirts wiht their logo on it.

The only problem with these instant iron on decals is that the don't last very long, so even though it's a great idea it's not worth the money.

I still would like to see corps buy better quality shirts to put their logo's and designs on. I think people will pay more for quality.