Worst Year for DCI Performances?

It was a toss up between the forgettable 1994 season (although PRs Claire d' Lune is still one of my favorite ballads of all time and so much better than Crown's homage) and the just topsy turvy 2002 season.

My vote goes to 2002. It is clear the Magic, Cap. Reg. and Cascades success that season had to be due to the lackluster performances of Crown, Madison, etc. It was a very off year. Because when you look at the two finalists and one semifinalist mentioned above...where did they go after? One year did not their fortunes make.

2002...DCI's worst overall performances.

It was a toss up between the forgettable 1994 season (although PRs Claire d' Lune is still one of my favorite ballads of all time and so much better than Crown's homage) and the just topsy turvy 2002 season.

My vote goes to 2002. It is clear the Magic, Cap. Reg. and Cascades success that season had to be due to the lackluster performances of Crown, Madison, etc. It was a very off year. Because when you look at the two finalists and one semifinalist mentioned above...where did they go after? One year did not their fortunes make.

Its tough for me to call 2002 an off year, because that is the ONLY year I saw a live show before i started marching. I'm sure people on here will spit out all kinds of great moments to refute your point, but the fact is, those occur in any given year, and 2002 falls a little short of the years around it. From a top 3 standpoint I actually think 2001 was worse, but I see your point with 2002 overall

Different tastes for everyone. I can't say for sure since I only saw a few of the shows from the stands, never getting to see Magic and only seeing Cascades in San Antonio. But I'd take 02 over some of the mid 90s year, 96 especially.

Hmmm....2002 was definitely a forgettable year, Blue Devils had to scrap half of their show, no Crown or Scouts in finals, and the ones that did make it turned out to be one or two hit wonders, Magic and Cascades. Yeah, 1999 was not so hot either. Besides the west coast battle for the top spot, everybody else was very forgettable, except maybe Boston for their return to finals. But their show still sucked. Also, 2005 anybody? Cadets, thats it. The rest of that year was filled with.....well I can't even remember. So yeah, there have been a few years that weren't tip top.

On the flip side, 2002 also gave us one of the best designed and executed shows in DCI History. Can a year that produced Cavaliers 2002 be considered the worst year performance wise? I know you're thinking overall, but it's hard to immediately say 2002 when you have Cavaliers.

I think you can argue 94, 95, or 96 as well for being weak years performance wise (though all those years obviously had great shows). Or 1998 when 5/7 of the non-semi finalists were Div. 2/3 corps.

I kind of think that while there were some great shows in the 1990's, the activity produced a lot of mediocre shows/designs and then hit an upswing in talent in the 2000's. Of course, I saw WAY more shows in the 90's (as well as marched in the late 90's) so I'm more familiar with those shows than shows for this decade. But my vote would be for a year in the mid-late 90's, and I think those were the darkest times for DCI.

1996...shudder

You know...I thought about 1996 and it was admittedly hard for me to consider because of my Regiment bias. However, when I watch even their performance now...hmmm.

But, I think my viewings of the 1996 Top 12 are also biased by what I always watch this just after watching what I consider to be one of the better of all DCI years and that would be 1995 Buffalo.

Hmmm....2002 was definitely a forgettable year, Blue Devils had to scrap half of their show, no Crown or Scouts in finals, and the ones that did make it turned out to be one or two hit wonders, Magic and Cascades. Yeah, 1999 was not so hot either. Besides the west coast battle for the top spot, everybody else was very forgettable, except maybe Boston for their return to finals. But their show still sucked. Also, 2005 anybody? Cadets, thats it. The rest of that year was filled with.....well I can't even remember. So yeah, there have been a few years that weren't tip top.

Madison had their great smoke and mirrors show about some Christ guy. That was a pretty awesome 1999 show as well.

See, I really liked that trip to Madison. 2002 not at all. 2006...very enjoyable again.