Worst Year for DCI Performances?

I liked 2002 only for the reason that semifinals for the top 3 was just spectacular. The engergized shows made the crowd go bonkers and for me was one of the few times I actually jumped out of my seat and screamed like a little girl. I went with my cousin and father who both appreciated drum corps, but didn't go crazy for it. That night when I saw them leap up and cheer, I knew they had fully crossed the line to drum corps enthusiasts.

I took my dad to semis because his grandson wasn't going to be marching finals in their home city. It was his last finals week show before he died. Madison performed as good as they had all season that semifinals night. I saw Cavies and decided at that point my attendance at finals wasn't necessary. We went to dinner Saturday night instead. I was so tired of the Top 12 shows by the time finals came got there. Tired.

2002. Running away. Even the best show that year, Cavaliers, was a gigantic snooze fest save the fight club sequence.

2004, apart from BD, was pretty lackluster on the whole.

...yet you have an SCV shield for an avatar? :thumbup:

It was a toss up between the forgettable 1994 season (although PRs Claire d' Lune is still one of my favorite ballads of all time and so much better than Crown's homage) and the just topsy turvy 2002 season.

My vote goes to 2002. It is clear the Magic, Cap. Reg. and Cascades success that season had to be due to the lackluster performances of Crown, Madison, etc. It was a very off year. Because when you look at the two finalists and one semifinalist mentioned above...where did they go after? One year did not their fortunes make.

2002...DCI's worst overall performances.

Oh, Tom...flattery will get you everywhere! Yeah, '94 was kind of a disappointment all around. Although I do prefer Cadets' WSS over any other version they've ever done. And BD was just incredible. Maybe the first of their "Blah...but perfect" shows.

As I've said many times, 94 PR was a repeat of 93...with different music...well, some of it was different! Beautiful ballad...Crown's version still brought tears to my eyes just hearing it! And this Sky-ex was equally moved by "Somewhere/Over the Rainbow" as well...and I didn't play either of those! But yeah, 94 was just...weird. First year without Star on the field and everyone was A.) kind of asking, "OK, what's next?" or B.) Maybe I should say BD.) "DANG...Devs are GOOD!!" That was kind of a change, too.

As for 02...don't know...was smack in the middle of starting grad school and getting over a female-sort. But based on the progress we've made since 04 when I made it back into the activity, I'd say I sure hope 02 was rock bottom. Cuz what I saw in 04/05 was crap overall. Heck, 06 music was terrible and a select few chose to drag on terrible repertoire right up to 2008. I said it in 07 and it was SURE the case this summer...I believe we have turned a corner for the better in music, and more importantly, the concentration on the importance of the music. So, hopefully, for at least the next 5-10 years that will remain the case.

See, the thing is, you don't have to have unentertaining, unfamiliar repertoire to have a Star 91/93 or Cavies 2000's. It's really not even that hard to wrap a good musical show around phenomenal visual or drill...well, at least, it's not that hard for me to conceive of the possibility someday occurring. :thumbup: I just don't see many folks popping in custom-written music into their iPods or CD's in the car. We don't like band literature for a reason...unfamiliar, and we can only take so much dissonant aleotoric (I know that's not spelled right!) music for so long...and that's generally 30 seconds.

I suppose the 02's served a purpose...they showed that where we came from (music the focus) wasn't all that bad. And subsequent years have validated it. I believe PR 08 punctuated that point for anyone that didn't believe it before that. Well, maybe that was more for the visual/entertaining aspect of that show, but it had been hyped for a year based strictly on the name and the fact that everyone knows the ballad.

Here's to hoping 2010 is more like 08/09 that 02-06!

2002 was an off year, very little that I liked that year, could be the worst, need to think on it

Did not like much about 1998 either but it was better than 2002, still

I was not a fan of this year at all, maybe it was LOS that ruined finals for me or all the rainouts, not willing to call 2009 the worst until I see the videos and give it some time but frankly, I have no interest in the DVD’s – didn’t order them and doubt I’ll get them until there are cheap (can’t think of another year where I felt this way)

Generally, the higher the winning score, the worse the year but I liked a lot of the shows in 2005 (the other plus 99 year)

Thats an interesting question.

There is some banter going on in the DCA group about the perfect subcaption scores etc for the Buccaneers, and alot of the explanation is that when the lower half of the field starts off hot, that pushes the upper echelon up even further.

If everyone was so low in 02, then were the Cavaliers just THAT Good?

I actually dont see why everyone hates this particular year. I dug alot of shows in 02 including the "One hit wonders". I LOVED Magic that year! Cadets (in spite of the well remembered errors at the end of that show) were fantastic!

Oh,

and i think other than the top 2, 1993 was a bust.

I only discovered corps in 1992. 92 was such a killer year that i just thought there were always a ton of amazing corps.

Then in 93 i almost lost interest until I saw Star and Cadets. Even my favorite of favorites, the Blue devils didnt get me all that

pumped for drum corps.

Maybe in my "older years" of my thirties, it will sound different to me. lol

Oh,

and i think other than the top 2, 1993 was a bust.

I only discovered corps in 1992. 92 was such a killer year that i just thought there were always a ton of amazing corps.

Then in 93 i almost lost interest until I saw Star and Cadets. Even my favorite of favorites, the Blue devils didnt get me all that

pumped for drum corps.

Maybe in my "older years" of my thirties, it will sound different to me. lol

1993 Regiment? A bust? Still one of my favorite shows. I like it more than the 1994 twin.