DCI: 2009 CDs ship "soon"...

Well, they aren't 1995 bad. . .but it's real, real close.

I suppose they did the best they could . . .but there's plenty of "GOOOOOOOOM!" reverb and Bluecoats, as mentioned, is basically ruined by the extreme low end distortion. Cadets horn line sounds far away a lot of the time. There's the other three CD's to listen to, but I'll wager it isn't much better. However, if you are a fan of marimbas and pit percussion, there's plenty to listen to.

They're loud, at least.

Save your money, though, unless you're a collector. There's gotta be some good APD's out there from this season. . .maybe Allentown?

C'mon DCI, we can do better than this. :innocent:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they aren't 1995 bad. . .but it's real, real close.

I suppose they did the best they could . . .but there's plenty of "GOOOOOOOOM!" reverb and Bluecoats, as mentioned, is basically ruined by the extreme low end distortion. Cadets horn line sounds far away a lot of the time. There's the other three CD's to listen to, but I'll wager it isn't much better. However, if you are a fan of marimbas and pit percussion, there's plenty to listen to.

They're loud, at least.

Save your money, though, unless you're a collector. There's gotta be some good APD's out there from this season. . .maybe Allentown?

C'mon DCI, we can do better than this. :angel1:

Cool, at least we have several more years to come of over powering pit recordings. :innocent:

Cool, at least we have several more years to come of over powering pit recordings. :innocent:

. . . I'm trying to find things to like about the recordings; there are points where the blend is pretty well done. . . most p/mf moments aren't bad at all, excepting a few weird places.

However, there's just too much lost by the echo and low end during anything above a forte for my taste. It distorts badly on most tracks.

It reminds me a lot of the midseason CDs from San Antonio a few years back. . . .it's not quite as "boomy" as those were, but the problems of being in a dome are basically the same.

Oh, well. Maybe I can trade in my CDs for some outdoor APDs instead. :angel1:

So I'm listening through a high end audio interface, A/D D/A converters, and high end monitors...so maybe I'm getting a clearer picture than everyone else. But these recordings are pristine...this low end distortion I'm reading about is not present....listening through headphones maybe? This can be a problem for tiny speakers...

Just listended to the top 5 ...

Crown is LOUD! :tongue:

HNC makes me :lle: ...

The bass in several of the shows really takes over ...

SCV sounds wonderful up to the end ... which was the hightlight of their performance ...

I've listened to them. I'm actually very impressed with the recording quality, brass lines sound great! Drumline does sound a bit subdued. The overbearing bass is there for the corps that used to much of it, although I don't think that is a recording problem, its just using a subwoofer to blast bass sound that is absolutely not needed. The worst I've heard so far is the Bluecoats, it ruins two parts in the opener... It sounds so foreign and super bad with subwoofers. I hope corps recognize that certain things do not record well and don't really add to the performance... Makes me sad I'm a big Bluecoats fan as well...

Mark

I would agree with this. I thought it was my speakers at first, tried in in my car and my car wouldnt stop shaking. Tried it on headphones...can't even listen to the show

Overall I'm pleased but my expectations weren't very high. I'm not getting the overpowering bass distortion on Bluecoats and I've listened to the show twice on my PC and my home stereo. Maybe I need to crank it up some more :satisfied: .

Maybe I need to crank it up some more :satisfied: .

. . .maybe this is my problem. :thumbup:

I fiddled with the EQ a bit, so it's not such a bad deal now. Parts of SCV and Bluecoats are still jacked thanks to the rumble, but I think the rest are okay now after playing with the low end settings on my rig.

Of course, messing with the EQ was never an issue with all the years previous, and there's still way too much "boom" for my taste . . . but this is what we're stuck with for the next nine years or so. It could have been 1995 bad, I guess.

I'd much prefer it if DCI could record an outside standstill for each corps Finals week and give the option of buying APD's of that instead of "Indianapolis boomy boom time".