Sad News

so sad, having known two local units affected by crashes in the last few years as well as friends in Bucs back in the mid 90s

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What terrible news. My prayers go out to everyone affected by this tragic accident.

So terrible when something like this happens, it affects the whole community. I remember a few years ago when a band parent from another band in my area was killed while driving their equipment truck down an icy highway.

If you're from Colorado, I know exactly the incident you're talking about. It happened not far from my part of town. And I also graduated from that HS (over 30 years ago). I wasn't involved with the band in my youth as they didn't have a color guard at the time, but I had some good friends in the band, and often marched basics with them in practice just cause it was fun to do.

This is horrible, and it reminds us that it can happen to any organization at any time. Getting in any vehicle for a trip requires faith that one will come back. I know John Miller and he's an upstanding guy. I can't imagine what he and the band members must be going through now.

We have been lucky as an activity. I hope it continues to stay that way.

If you're from Colorado, I know exactly the incident you're talking about. It happened not far from my part of town. And I also graduated from that HS (over 30 years ago). I wasn't involved with the band in my youth as they didn't have a color guard at the time, but I had some good friends in the band, and often marched basics with them in practice just cause it was fun to do.

I am from Colorado actually, currently in my junior year at Bear Creek. Good to meet another Coloradan on here lol

And again, American Fork will be in my thoughts and prayers

Edited by jedihunter80

I haven't met anyone from the school, but I recognize the name of American Fork as being a great high school program for decades now. The students will truly be in my thoughts this weekend.

Not sure if you are a FMM of The Cavaliers and especially active with them over the past few years but, James Boyer (4 Year Baritone Vet of The Cavaliers 05 - 09) was Drum Major 03-04 of AFHS Marching Band. In 03, his two best friends lost their lives in a tragic car accident. They were members of AFHS MB also.

A large number of people attended a service tonight at the high school. It was very moving and served to honor the instructor who lost her life. Heather Christensen was an excellent and much loved instructor. The tributes were extremely moving. Seems that her courage and quick thinking probably saved a lot of lives. Tragically, she gave hers in exchange. So sad.

AFHS show this year honors the hero's of The Greatest Generation and at the BYU competition on Tuesday evening, they will include Heather as a hero. Fitting tribute. The band have decided to perform their show in competition on Tuesday and I'm sure the stadium will be as one with them as they perform.

Michael Boo is correct. John Miller is an amazing man and he performed HIS duty tonight with such dignity even though it was extremely clear that he just lost a dear friend. Heather was also an ex Drum Major with AFHS and her dream job was to be an instructor of the band she grew up with.

Mike Huestis is a former member of the Velvet Knights, Freelancers and Blue Devils. I marched with him at Sac.

I instructed with Heather at American Fork in 2007 and was very saddened to hear about her passing on Saturday night. She was an amazing teacher and had such an important positive impact on hundreds if not thousands of students. She had such a great passion for teaching and life, she truly is (still) an inspiration not only for me but all that knew her. During the time I worked with her, I struggled to juggle all the things I had on my plate as I was also a drum major for the BYU marching band, but her example helped me to keep pressing forward and do my best to become a better teacher. In situations like this, words fail and it's hard to communicate all that one feels but I am grateful for the blessing of having worked with her and experiencing her love of teaching and music. Heather died the way she lived, in the service of her students. Because of her actions, none of the students lost their lives, she lost hers as a true hero. Heather will be sorely missed, my prayers and love are with her loved ones, the rest of the band staff and directors, and the members of the band.

I was there tonight, it was a very emotional show, great performance as usual by American Fork. There was a lot of support for them in the stands as well, definitely was a special overtone at tonight's competition.

Wow this really hits home my thoughts and prayers go to all involved especially to the young womens family that lost her life !

The Glassmen were very fortunate last summer that the crash they were involved in wasn't any worse than it was !!