Asphalt Cocktail

Jazz comes in all forms! To me this work certainly qualifies for "Symphonic Jazz".

Not at all, even in the slightest.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMHO, this sounds WAY over Bluecoat's technical ability (past performance is no guarantee of future success). It really sounds like Cadets or Blue Devils to me.

I take it you are basing your comment on the Cadets and Blue Devils PAST PERFORMANCES.

(I've been told that's no guarantee of future success.)

As for the Bluecoats "technical ability"...I think I'll let their recent PAST PERFORMANCES speak for the corps.

I take it you are basing your comment on the Cadets and Blue Devils PAST PERFORMANCES.

(I've been told that's no guarantee of future success.)

As for the Bluecoats "technical ability"...I think I'll let their recent PAST PERFORMANCES speak for the corps.

... I see what you did there.

But really, how else can you judge a corps? every performance you've ever heard is in the past...

Not at all, even in the slightest.

I agree! It's not symphonic jazz, more progressive large ensemble or modern progressive symphonic. God I hate trying to label things. Jazz it's not. IMHO. NOw to what I envision. If DCI would go back to the 11 1/2 to 13 minute time frame then Crown could do both pieces complete and make a show of Asphalt Cocktail and Kingfishers Catch Fire without cutting them at all. HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT BE!!!

Edited by Perry S

DCI would go back to the 11 1/2 to 13 minute time frame then Crown could do both pieces complete and make a show of Asphalt Cocktail and Kingfishers Catch Fire without cutting them at all. HOW AWESOME WOULD THAT BE!!!

:satisfied:

IMHO, this sounds WAY over Bluecoat's technical ability (past performance is no guarantee of future success). It really sounds like Cadets or Blue Devils to me.

*listens to criminal*

urm..what?!

Thinks Asphalt Cocktail ...... and here's what me sees.

Cocktail .. yummy

Moving? Kudos to MSU Wind Symph for the outstanding recording of this chart

Any corps trying to run and play will eat Asphalt.

Sound = poo

Air = sucking lots of it

Intensity Level = not gonna happen for a full length attempt

Only corps able to achieve this piece on the field = Blue Knights

Lots of body and not much drill :D

No offense BK. I love ya, but I really don't want to hear you play this... nor anyone really.

I'm still waiting for a GREAT GREAT GREAT performance of Gvorkna on the field and that hasn't happened yet. What makes anyone think a 5 min piece at this level of intensity and scope would ever make it to the field without being a massive bastagization of the original?

Jazz comes in all forms! To me this work certainly qualifies for "Symphonic Jazz".

Ummmmm, we tried that back in 1992. We called it Jazzophonic.

Remember that Beatles thing?

The Corps took out ads in DCW trying to explain it. "New Look, New Sound, Etc......

Didn't work so well overall.......... And God did we have talent in the horn line that year.

Wasted, simply wasted. Now if we would have done the Dizzy show in 92........ I digress.

Jazzophonic? NOOOOOooooooooo...............

Of course listening to it now, Long and Winding Road is a beautiful ballad.......

From their Facebook fan page:

Great design meeting this weekend. While we are still planning our 2010 program, one thing is certain - we will be playing John Mackey's "Asphalt Cocktail."

Something tells me that after Bluecoats play it (WHICH I CANNOT WAIT FOR,) Everyone Will, its a great fast piece that I think could be very cool to do on the field..

JUST PLEASE BLUECOATS USE THE TRASH CAN IN THE PIT,

I Love John Mackey's Music, I still think his Asphalt Cocktail and his Kingfishers catch fire is Some of the best new Wind Ensamble stuff out there

Edited by ohwiseone