Bruckner in Drum Corps

Ain't gunna happen. The good stuff takes too long to develop, and drum corps is all about 2-minute sound bites (and attention spans).

This is THE single smartest thing anyone has ever said on this website. I'm so glad that someone else in this world sees this (terrible) fact! And for what it's worth, I think 2-minutes is even pushing it :worthy:

Only Phantom Regiment could pull this off.

Alas...then you ruin my newfound respect for you with this :laughing:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If not an entire program, then how ABOUT that good stuff as a part of a larger classical program?? Something recognizable (if there is such...I'm not readily familiar with Bruckner's music)...like the March from Symphonic Metamorphosis (although that seems to be the only Hindemith ever done by corps...)

Just a thought...

Actually the Bushwacker did Matisse de Mahler by Hindemith in 1995, but that is Senior corps.

Actually the Bushwacker did Matisse de Mahler by Hindemith in 1995, but that is Senior corps.

Blue Stars also did it in the early 1980s when they were still a World Class unit. But although the piece is about a painter, the painter isn't Matisse (different spelling) and it's not about Mahler (also a different spelling.) :)

Edited by Michael Boo

...and I bet no drum corps has ever played a piece in c-sharp minor!

If that's true, it's for good reason. Would you really want to listen to a hornline play in D#m & G#m (Bb & F instruments respectively). It's would be difficult for a small ensemble of professional brass musicians to make that key sound resonant on those instruments. Are you really saying that you want to listen to a group of 70+ non-professional brass players play in those keys, some of them on instruments that are just poor imitations of their more legitimate originals (mellophones->concert french horns & contrabasses->tubas)?

Playing such a piece in the original key would sound very, very bad.

If you give any priority at all to quality and resonance in drum corps, transposition is the only option.

IMO

If that's true, it's for good reason. Would you really want to listen to a hornline play in D#m & G#m (Bb & F instruments respectively). It's would be difficult for a small ensemble of professional brass musicians to make that key sound resonant on those instruments. Are you really saying that you want to listen to a group of 70+ non-professional brass players play in those keys, some of them on instruments that are just poor imitations of their more legitimate originals (mellophones->concert french horns & contrabasses->tubas)?

Playing such a piece in the original key would sound very, very bad.

If you give any priority at all to quality and resonance in drum corps, transposition is the only option.

IMO

Yea, c minor would make a lot more sense (ie, easier to play in this context). But I don't think I could listen to it in c minor. Oh well, I better shut up, before someone tries to tell me G and Bb don't sound any different either.

PS: I'm certain I could get a drum corps hornline to play it very very well in c# minor, assuming I had 4V tubas, or 3V tubas with enough realtime tempering slidage.

I think Bruckner8 has hit the nail on the head on this one, but I'll throw in my $.02 as well.

Bruckner 8 is one of my favorite pieces of music. There are so many glorious moments in that piece (find the chorale that happens twice in the third movement...that could make a great warm-up somewhere)...but the glorious moments all go on for five minutes.

There's a reason that Bruckner is sometimes called the 'Wagner-symphonist.' Ideas take a really long time to unfold, and its the way they unfold that's really interesting. One of the best descriptions of Bruckner's music I ever read went something like this: "Listening to a Bruckner symphony is like prayerfully making your way through an ancient cathedral. You stop at every relic, every stained-glass window, every icon, and you examine each one thoroughly, and then move on to the next. Then sometimes you pause to consider how a group of things relate to each other."

And, recent drum corps arranging treats themes in exactly the opposite manner....more like "Look kids...Big Ben! Parliament!" As we rush on to cross the next item off our 'need to see' list.

SCV's use of Appalachian Spring this year worked wonderfully, but that entire piece is what? 25 minutes? Something like that. With Bruckner, the shorter symphonies (with quick tempos) barely fit on a single CD. I have a recording of the 8th where the 3rd movement alone is around 37 minutes (if I remember correctly). There's just a whole bunch of material to try to condense.

But, I'd love to hear J.D. or someone figure out how to end a show with the 'coda' of the last movement of Bruckner 8 (from where the big build-up in c minor begins). That could be spectacular.

I think Bruckner 4 could be used for at least a portion of a show. His music is too good not to explored. Or maybe, it's so good that it shouldn't be explored in the marching arts?

Ya mean, this piece?

yeah that would be it, I couldn't remember how it was spelled.